Help please I really do need some advice.

eevans2608

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four wonderful cats and I’ve had them all since they were kittens. I have a huge dilemma. I lost my job in October, I have worked all of my life. I’ve been toying with the idea of re homing my cats. Obviously this is a very hard decision to make and I never thought I would have to do this. I financially can not afford to keep all four cats, I have depression, ptsd and anxiety and just the everyday up keep with feeding/trays etc it stresses me. I contacted a local charity and they said they would put two on the waiting list to lift the pressure. They got in touch and told me today they could pick the two cats up but I’ve avoided them as I am really struggling coming to terms of actually re homing them.
Please someone give me some advice and tell me if this is the right decision. I am aware I do have four so even re homing two is hard as I would be splitting them. I’m in such a dilemma right now but I’m also struggling financially. Please help x

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry that you are going through this. I fully understand how you feel, as I myself lost my job in 2018 and I was in deep depression due to this. I pray you would be able to get back on your feet at the soonest possible time.

Personally I would go with allowing the first two cats to be taken by your local charity. Much as it is really difficult for you, those 2 cats have much better chances.

You can also check if they can allow you to give you some time to get back on your feet and re-claim them once everything is ok again.

Please hang in there. Take care of yourself.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will this financial situation be temporary or permanent? I'd hate for this to be a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If temporary, can the rescue help you with expenses for a little while? It's usually easier for them to help you keep your cats in their home than to rehome adult cats.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can the shelter arrange for your cats to be fostered until your circumstances improve then you can have them back.
Its obvious you love them dearly and the situation is deeply upsetting you. I hope you find a good solution and can get yourself another job quickly.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above comments. See if the charity is willing to allow you re-claim them again once you are on your feet. In the meantime, please take care of yourself by seeing a doctor, taking meds, and talking to people. We are here for you.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Due to similar circumstances, two cats were given to a shelter four years ago. I know it must have been one of the hardest things for their family to do. I will forever say a prayer for them, because they gave us the gift of adopting the boys and our lives have been forever changed.

I hope this perspective from the other side might help. Our family sends their love and support!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eevans2608

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all thank you for your replies. I have been in touch with the centre and the two cats are back on the waiting list. I still don’t know if I am doing the right thing. I also have to move home because I can not afford the home I am in and right now I am ground floor with a garden and the new home is one the first floor. The two who would remain mostly stay indoors anyway so I wouldn’t see that as an issue but the other two who are on the waiting list love the outdoors. I keep thinking there must be a way to keep them all together but I’m not sure how managing four cats indoors is going to work out and of course the financial side. I really don’t want to give them up and it is going to break my heart when I get the call that spaces have come up. I appreciate hearing it from the other side and I am so glad you got your two cats and have so much joy out of them :-) this is really tough. I keep saying right that is it, you’ve made your choice then they come in and cuddle up and I just think wow how am I going to be able to hand them over?!! I feel sick x

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, you are not "giving them away," but "giving them up," in hopes that they can find a more stable situation. It is a very unselfish thing to do, especially if you are truly overwhelmed at this point. You can request that they keep the two together, as they are a bonded pair. That is very reasonable, and would take a LOT of strain off of both you and them. Yes, they will go through an adjustment period, but once they are settled in a new home, they will be fine. They won't forget you, but neither, after a little while, will they mourn you. Nature is kind to our animals like that. You will mourn them far longer, but you can comfort yourself by thinking of them happy and together.

My heart is with yours during this difficult time, and my dearest hope is that you and your cats find happiness and stability in the very near future! Lighting a candle for you all!
00LitCandle.jpeg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
E eevans2608 How are things going for you? What is your situation now? There are such different options out there.
For instance, my adult disabled daughter's cat came to us via Craigslist. The cat's former owner was entering hospice. I drove over 200 miles one-way to pick up the cat in the middle of the night then drove home before dawn. We stayed in contact with the former owner for over 6 months until her cellphone went out of service. The cat is amazing - she can detect seizures, migraines and UTIs and will signal the "patient" by smelling their breath then pushing on their neck & shoulders, as if trying to get them to lie down. She really is a Heaven-sent cat!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I've said this before, we live in a society that often points fingers in these situations and makes people feel bad for re-homing. But in my opinion, when you re-home because it's best for the animal, it's the most admirable thing you can do and truly shows how much you love that animal. I'm very sorry you're going through this. I wish I could help more than just offer some advice you've probably heard already.

Can you contact various shelters/rescues and see if there is a foster program, or possibly do you have any family or friends who would be willing to take them for you for a bit? Before giving them up, maybe see if there is something like that you can do, since this seems to be a VERY hard choice, I can only imagine you love them a lot.

You will find another job though and you will get back on your feet. I hope for the best for you!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've said this before, we live in a society that often points fingers in these situations and makes people feel bad for re-homing. But in my opinion, when you re-home because it's best for the animal, it's the most admirable thing you can do and truly shows how much you love that animal. I'm very sorry you're going through this. I wish I could help more than just offer some advice you've probably heard already.

Can you contact various shelters/rescues and see if there is a foster program, or possibly do you have any family or friends who would be willing to take them for you for a bit? Before giving them up, maybe see if there is something like that you can do, since this seems to be a VERY hard choice, I can only imagine you love them a lot.

You will find another job though and you will get back on your feet. I hope for the best for you!
I agree.

You are not giving up. In fact just the opposite. You are trying EVEN harder to help your kitties by seeing that two go to an excellent home now.

This will free up some finances and reduce some stress on you. This will allow you to take better care of your other two cats. If you dont rehome, what will happen when one or more of your babies needs medical treatement? Will you be able to pay? Will the others suffer as there will be no money to look after them?

What you are considering doing is TRUE love. You are putting the well being of your babies ahead of your own personal feelings.

That isnt something many people can do. Be proud of yourself.

Ask that the new parents send you some pics occasionally. Focus your love and attention on the other two and be happy for the babies that were rehomed.