Help Please. Found A Stray Kitten And Don't Know Whether To Keep Her...

Shaer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently found a stray kitten in our garage. She's only 2-3 months old and was quite timid but has warmed up and will now let me pet her. She is so sweet that I want to keep her but we live in the middle of a forest and she would not last as an outdoor cat. We can't have her in the house as we have four large dogs. So the choice is whether or not to build a catio and have her outside and sheltered with a companion kitten or whether to take her to a shelter. I really want her to have a good life. We would be able to interact with her and her companion but not as much as if they were inside cats. Is it better to take her to a shelter and hope she is adopted - although that uncertainty just worries me...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shaer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two labs and two Aussies. All of them have killed chickens or possums that got into our back fenced two acre area. They are very territorial. I guess we could set up an inside pen and have a separation for a couple of months to see if we could acclimate everyone. I'm not very positive that would work.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with as large as catico (or Catuary as I call them) and keep her and a companion. We have one that is 24x24 feet and is plenty large with climbing posts and a fish pond. it has lattice on top and really looks quite nice. We even have a few raised beds that have starwberries. Cats don't need as much interaction with humans as dogs, they are more solitary. You sound like someone who could give her a nice life, go for it!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many dogs learn to respect cats indoors even if they kill cats outdoors. Dogs are good at compartmentalizing like that. I'd at least attempt introductions, making sure the cat is safe at every step, of course. If that doesn't work out, a catio is fine. Much better than a shelter, especially if you'll be saving another kitten as her companion.

Shaer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would go with as large as catico (or Catuary as I call them) and keep her and a companion. We have one that is 24x24 feet and is plenty large with climbing posts and a fish pond. it has lattice on top and really looks quite nice. We even have a few raised beds that have starwberries. Cats don't need as much interaction with humans as dogs, they are more solitary. You sound like someone who could give her a nice life, go for it!
Thank you, di and bob. I've been toying with this. My concern was the amount of interaction but it is good to hear that cats don't need as much as dogs. It seems like this is more and more the answer I'm going to go with. I love to build and have already picked out a site and figured out how to construct a pretty nice catuary. One of the concerns my husband has is that we are in our mid-sixties, although VERY active, and he worries that the cats may outlive us. However, we already have that issue in that we have 4 dogs (one a puppy) 6 goats, 32 chickens and a bunch of guineas. I think we just need to set up a trust to insure that everyone is taken care of. We love animals so adding a couple more is perhaps, just a given and we will deal with any issues down the line.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, we too, are in our sixties and worry about outliving our animals. After these pass, we will take on more a foster role or give contributions to worthy causes for cats. People often get cats because they don't have to have such constant attention. They are gone all day at work, etc. They need some interaction but even 30 minutes a day is good, my ferals get much les then that, they only see me at feeding time, and they are happy to be on their own.
We also, years ago, had a hunting lab that killed a feral kitten. When we got a kitten, we kept the lab on a short leash in the house. She was trained not to lunge at the kitten, or growl, or anything bad, and was rewarded when she interacted positively. After a month or so of this they became buddies. So even if they have strong killing instincts, their instincts to please the alpha dog, you, is even stronger. All the luck!

Shaer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know how you feel, we too, are in our sixties and worry about outliving our animals. After these pass, we will take on more a foster role or give contributions to worthy causes for cats. People often get cats because they don't have to have such constant attention. They are gone all day at work, etc. They need some interaction but even 30 minutes a day is good, my ferals get much les then that, they only see me at feeding time, and they are happy to be on their own.
We also, years ago, had a hunting lab that killed a feral kitten. When we got a kitten, we kept the lab on a short leash in the house. She was trained not to lunge at the kitten, or growl, or anything bad, and was rewarded when she interacted positively. After a month or so of this they became buddies. So even if they have strong killing instincts, their instincts to please the alpha dog, you, is even stronger. All the luck!

Shaer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is really good to hear. Especially the part about the time you give for interaction. It's very reassuring. I ordered fencing and am going to start on building a catio. We will take the kitten in for her first shots this coming week and then adopt a companion. I think we can give them a very good life, even if they are not in the house. You all have been so encouraging and helped so much with my worries. I very much appreciate it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome. ANYTIME you need advise or help, we will be here for you! Don't hesitate to post. Between all of us there are literally hundreds of years of experience, I myself have had and loved cats for over 55 years.

Shaer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are very welcome. ANYTIME you need advise or help, we will be here for you! Don't hesitate to post. Between all of us there are literally hundreds of years of experience, I myself have had and loved cats for over 55 years.
Thank you so much. I just heard from an acquaintance that she can take her into foster care and foster her until she is adopted through a pet rescue. The woman will have 3 other rescue kittens. I'm really torn. I want to keep her - we've definitely bonded, but don't know if a foster situation would be better.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only you would know if she is better off with you. Not all adoptions turn out well. You could foster her with the understanding that if she doesn't get adopted into a good home you want her, but you would miss all that bonding and growing up! If you have the resources and ability, I would keep her, sometimes it is fate......

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
sometimes it is fate......
I believe this, too.

Only you will know what your heart will tell you.

And btw, as for the dogs, if given the proper introduction, I am sure they will accept this kitty. My dogs get along very well with my cat. And my cat now probably thinks he is a dog. :)

Although my dogs can most probably kill any cat they see outside.

I hope for only the best for you and for this kitty. Goodluck :)

Shaer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only you would know if she is better off with you. Not all adoptions turn out well. You could foster her with the understanding that if she doesn't get adopted into a good home you want her, but you would miss all that bonding and growing up! If you have the resources and ability, I would keep her, sometimes it is fate......
I think so. After sleeping on it and thinking of how to build a really nice catio, I think we can keep her and a companion and do it in a way that gives them a great life. Again, I can't tell you how much you all have helped with the decision to keep her. I'm so appreciative!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: I am so very glad that you are keeping her PLUS adopting her a companion as well! If your friend is really wanting to foster, there are many kittens at high-risk of euthanasia at shelters everywhere not to mention the plethora of feral kittens still in the "field". As far as the dogs go, Di and Bob is right - the dogs ultimately serve Alpha Dog and will obey your desires. Once that precedent is established, your cats will be well protected - I love seeing a healthy cat-dog relationship.
I am so looking forward to seeing photos of your catuary!