Help Please! Cats Fighting

Bsekas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my wife and I have had our cats for about 2.5 yrs. ones about 5 we adopted her and she is a social butterfly the other is 2.5 who we rescued and he’s a skiddish until he gets to know you . They have always gotten along great. We have gone through 3 moves with them. In the first 3 apartments they were in we always had the ac on. Recently we moved into a house with no ac so we always have the windows open. At night we have been seeing our young cat get freaked out by something and fluff up, growl, and hiss. He stays tense for a while and if we dont separate them long enough they get in terrible fights, we believe it’s redirected aggression. The last fight was the worse yet resulting in a little bit of blood being drawn. During the day they are great but we are fearful every night. They have been in the new place for about a month and a half and these fights have happen 5 times. We do not know what to do and any advise is welcome.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think you might have a good idea with the redirected aggression- are there outdoor or feral cats in the area that your cats might be able to see/smell through the window? Can you try covering up the window to see if this is the case? If this doesn't help, you might try a Feliway diffuser to calm your cats down. It's possible that they're also just stressed from the move.

Also, should another fight erupt: How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw something exactly like like on My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet. The cat would see something out the window at night and become extremely aggressive. I can’t remember exactly what they did, but with a little research you may be able to find out how they stopped that behavior.