help please! cat urine test. please give me your advice/thoughts. crystals.

user200400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my male cat has been having some urinary problem i did an xray vet said hes not blocked. and i did a urine test and these are the results. i was given hills c/d diet. what are your thought on this urine test results. is there inflammation present, infection or maybe kidney problem, bladder problem, genital problem, uti? he pees multiple times in a row.

color: yellow
appearance: slightly hazy
specific gravity: 1.070 (high)
pH: 6.5
protein: 2+ (high)
glucose: negative
ketone: negative
bilirubin: negative
blood: negative
WBC: 0-1
RBC- 0-1
casts: none seen
struvite crystals: 4-10
amorphous crystals: 4-10
bacteria: none seen
transitional epithelia: 0-1
squamous epithelia: 0-1

please give me your input on these results. is the hills c/d enough or might he need some kind of medication? will the hills c/d help with this.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my male cat has been having some urinary problem i did an xray vet said hes not blocked. and i did a urine test and these are the results. i was given hills c/d diet. what are your thought on this urine test results. is there inflammation present, infection or maybe kidney problem, bladder problem, genital problem, uti? he pees multiple times in a row.

color: yellow
appearance: slightly hazy
specific gravity: 1.070 (high)
pH: 6.5
protein: 2+ (high)
glucose: negative
ketone: negative
bilirubin: negative
blood: negative
WBC: 0-1
RBC- 0-1
casts: none seen
struvite crystals: 4-10
amorphous crystals: 4-10
bacteria: none seen
transitional epithelia: 0-1
squamous epithelia: 0-1

please give me your input on these results. is the hills c/d enough or might he need some kind of medication? will the hills c/d help with this.
As to the Hills C/D, one of our male cats had problems with blockage from struvite crystals several years ago that required treatment at the vet's. He was put on the C/D, and hasn't had any more problems since. That was 4 or 5 years ago, if I remember correctly. I hope that helps you out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. From what I know, there is nothing 'remarkable' in the urine test results. You might ask the vet what they think about the high protein level, but also keep in mind test results vary depending on what company is used to run them, so the 'normal' range (which isn't in your results above) can vary based on that.

What did your vet tell you about the test results, and why did they say he wanted your cat on a prescription urinary care food? That is a big part of the equation.

Hill's C/D is typically given to cats who demonstrate either crystal production or the propensity for them. Simply put, some vets prescribed this food for overall urinary care to help with either minimizing crystal production and/or to entice a cat to drink more water to help them flush out their bladder.

I really think you need to have a discussion with your vet about the test results and their reasoning for the urinary care food. Until you know what they think, you (and all of the rest of us, for that matter) are merely guessing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

user200400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As to the Hills C/D, one of our male cats had problems with blockage from struvite crystals several years ago that required treatment at the vet's. He was put on the C/D, and hasn't had any more problems since. That was 4 or 5 years ago, if I remember correctly. I hope that helps you out.
hi! was your cat also given an anti biotic along or anti inflammatory with the hills cd? and how long did it take for the crystals to dissolve?

user200400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. From what I know, there is nothing 'remarkable' in the urine test results. You might ask the vet what they think about the high protein level, but also keep in mind test results vary depending on what company is used to run them, so the 'normal' range (which isn't in your results above) can vary based on that.

What did your vet tell you about the test results, and why did they say he wanted your cat on a prescription urinary care food? That is a big part of the equation.

Hill's C/D is typically given to cats who demonstrate either crystal production or the propensity for them. Simply put, some vets prescribed this food for overall urinary care to help with either minimizing crystal production and/or to entice a cat to drink more water to help them flush out their bladder.

I really think you need to have a discussion with your vet about the test results and their reasoning for the urinary care food. Until you know what they think, you (and all of the rest of us, for that matter) are merely guessing.
my vet did not go into detail of my cats results or talk about the high protein. my cat was put of hills cd because of the crystals. my cat wasn't given any anti biotic either. should i have received and anti biotic? he didnt tell me if there was an infection or anything. i will have to make another appointment to to speak to him he wont return my call.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi! was your cat also given an anti biotic along or anti inflammatory with the hills cd? and how long did it take for the crystals to dissolve?
In our case, they had to actually go in and flush out his bladder to remove the crystals, as there was so much of an accumulation. They ended up keeping him for 2 days before he was ready to come home again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
my vet did not go into detail of my cats results or talk about the high protein. my cat was put of hills cd because of the crystals. my cat wasn't given any anti biotic either. should i have received and anti biotic? he didnt tell me if there was an infection or anything. i will have to make another appointment to to speak to him he wont return my call.
Sorry your vet is not very hospitable. Get copies of all of your cat's records, including any tests (they should be yours for free) and take them to another vet, preferably one who is with a totally different practice (to avoid colleague bias) for a second opinion. Get references from neighbors/friends/family/co-workers for a new vet.

The urinary care food can take weeks to help dissolve the crystals. But, there is something behind their development that your current vet is not addressing. I would not be getting his bladder flushed out before you know more information.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry your vet is not very hospitable. Get copies of all of your cat's records, including any tests (they should be yours for free) and take them to another vet, preferably one who is with a totally different practice (to avoid colleague bias) for a second opinion. Get references from neighbors/friends/family/co-workers for a new vet.

The urinary care food can take weeks to help dissolve the crystals. But, there is something behind their development that your current vet is not addressing. I would not be getting his bladder flushed out before you know more information.
In the case of the OP's cat, I would say that flushing the bladder is unnecessary. In the case of ours, however, it was, as Stretch needed treatment right now and he couldn't wait for the food to work. Still, since he has been on the c/d, there have been no more urinary problems

user200400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

hello, i ended up going back to the same vet and he said that the protein indicates inflammation but he wouldn't give me any anti biotic or anti inflammatory/medication. i really think an anti inflammatory would help along with the food. he said the hills cd helps with that but its been a month my cat has been on the hills cd and he personality is not the same he moslty sleeps. he used to be more energetic. i think a pain med would help.

does urinary inflammation require an anti inflammatory/medication or will the hills cd help with that?

user200400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MOD NOTE: merged post

hi my cat has some crystals and high concentrated urine and protein 2+ which my vet said indicates inflammation. but ph level is 6.5 which is normal. i was only given hills cd and thats it no anti inflammatory or anti biotic or medication. i dont think the food alone is helping should me cat also been given an anti inflammatory along side with the food. he pees muliple times in a row he cant seem to flush out all the urine all the once because hes irritated im guessing because of the inflammation. hes been on the hills cd for a month now i dont see improvment. i requested for an anti inflammation but the vet said no (which i disagree with, i think it would help) he said just the food will help. (should my cat have been given some type of medication)

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hi my cat has some crystals and high concentrated urine and protein 2+ which my vet said indicates inflammation. but ph level is 6.5 which is normal. i was only given hills cd and thats it no anti inflammatory or anti biotic or medication. i dont think the food alone is helping should me cat also been given an anti inflammatory along side with the food. he pees muliple times in a row he cant seem to flush out all the urine all the once because hes irritated im guessing because of the inflammation. hes been on the hills cd for a month now i dont see improvment. i requested for an anti inflammation but the vet said no (which i disagree with, i think it would help) he said just the food will help. (should my cat have been given some type of medication)
Hi. I am not a vet by any means, but high protein in urine can be indicative of kidney issues. It's good that his ph level is within range! But, there are so many other factors to consider - just reading your post doesn't seem to tell the whole picture. Has your cat had a Chemistry Profile done to see what his kidney related functions are? Did the vet rule out any kind of UTI? I would also recommend that you ask for more information from your vet as to why he thinks there is no need for an anti-inflammatory? More information, whatever you have, would be very helpful. E.g; his age, his history, what tests have been performed, etc. The more information the better!!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hills C/D should dissolve the crystals which would, in turn, decrease the inflammation as the crystals wouldn't be irritating his insides anymore. The food can take a couple of months to completely work, although it worked for my kitty in about 3 weeks.
Anti-inflammatories are generally not great for cats, so I do understand why the vet would want to hold off. And an antibiotic is not needed unless there is an infection. My cat who had crystals only needed the food to get better. I did have a cat who had cystitis and required an anti-inflammatory, but his issue was different.
Is your kitty on the dry food or the wet food? Perhaps give him the canned/wet food, as the extra moisture would help things along..

Have you been back to the vet to get another urine analysis and culture done recently?

irisheyzs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 3 year old male cat developed a blockage back in October. We took him to the emergency vet because he seemed to be in pain and peed on our bed. He has never gone anywhere except the litterbox prior. They wanted to keep him for a couple days and keep a catheter in him. Two months before we spent $5000. getting our dogs knee fixed so we told them we could not let him stay. They cleared the blockage and sent us home with pain meds, anti spasm meds, and antibiotics to take until the cultures came back. Turned out to be crystals. Took him to his regular vet the next day who really pushed for the surgery. She said she could tell he was still having spasms. Everything I read on the surgery did not have for the most part good outcomes and we couldn't afford it. I cried for days. The emergency vet gave me some ideas that may help. We bought him a water fountain, a cat tree, calming treats and homeopathic UTI drops I found on Amazon and switched him over to strictly wet cat food. He's doing great. No issues what so ever. Eating, peeing, pooping just as he should! I hope it lasts but it seems like we have it under control.