Help please baby cat EMERGENCY

Status
Not open for further replies.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - so you're looking at recipe #4, the last one ?

That one says to use equal parts of the mixture and boiling water...so, an ounce of the mixture and an ounce of water.....2 oz mixture and 2 oz water, etc.

The boiling water helps to mix the ingredients better, but also to warm up the formula -usually, the recipe will be kept in the fridge.

Just make sure it's only warm when you present it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stargirl212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK - so you're looking at recipe #4, the last one ?

That one says to use equal parts of the mixture and boiling water...so, an ounce of the mixture and an ounce of water.....2 oz mixture and 2 oz water, etc.

The boiling water helps to mix the ingredients better, but also to warm up the formula -usually, the recipe will be kept in the fridge.

Just make sure it's only warm when you present it.
Thank you so much I appreciate this I'm doing it rn thank you

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in case you try to use a nipple & bottle or a syringe (only if he's too young to drink from a dish), it's critical that you don't feed him with his head down or when he's on his back - kittens can easily 'choke' that way, get milk into their lungs ("aspirate") and that can cause pneumonia which is often fatal.

So, head up and on his stomach for bottle/syringe feeding.

Stargirl212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just in case you try to use a nipple & bottle or a syringe (only if he's too young to drink from a dish), it's critical that you don't feed him with his head down or when he's on his back - kittens can easily 'choke' that way, get milk into their lungs ("aspirate") and that can cause pneumonia which is often fatal.

So, head up and on his stomach for bottle/syringe feeding.
Thank you again I have a small syringe but if he does make it thru the night I will get him a nursing bottle and thank you for that tip I didn't know that thank you

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure he is warm enough too. The baby must be warm to be able to process the fluids. I am
Leaving you in good hands. I will check back in the morning. You have my gratitude and admiration for all you are doing. :clap2::goldstar:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somebody else who could help is catsknowme catsknowme .

If you happen to have unflavored pedialyte in the house, you can use it too, either in the formula or by itself. From your description, it sounds like he would be dehydrated, and the pedialyte will balance out his system.

Keep him warm, too. Depending on his age, he may not be able yet to self-regulate his body temperature. And, if shock is at play, warmth is critical.

You said he wouldn't take the wet cat food. It might be that, if he hadn't been eating, he'd be feeling nauseous from the stomach acid buildup. The milk should get rid of that.....once he's settled with the milk, you might try mashing a tiny bit of the cat food into a small amount of the milk. That's how to transition kittens from milk to solid foods - that's, of course, if he'll drink the formula from a dish.

Stargirl212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make sure he is warm enough too. The baby must be warm to be able to process the fluids. I am
Leaving you in good hands. I will check back in the morning. You have my gratitude and admiration for all you are doing. :clap2::goldstar:
Thank you so much for everything honestly thank you

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About keeping him warm - Jcatbird Jcatbird just sent me a note that I should also show you this: Homemade DIY Heating Pad for Pets - Jackson Humane Society

Do you think he's old enough to know how to use a litterbox? Once things settle down, and if you posted a picture, we could get a sense for his age. If he's really young, you'll need to stimulate him to pee and poop.........more on that later should you need it.

Also from MsCatbird:
"homemade pedialyte is one quart of warm water, one teaspoon of salt and three teaspoons of sugar"​
Good to know.....and file away!

Stargirl212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About keeping him warm - Jcatbird Jcatbird just sent me a note that I should also show you this: Homemade DIY Heating Pad for Pets - Jackson Humane Society

Do you think he's old enough to know how to use a litterbox? Once things settle down, and if you posted a picture, we could get a sense for his age. If he's really young, you'll need to stimulate him to pee and poop.........more on that later should you need it.

Also from MsCatbird:
"homemade pedialyte is one quart of warm water, one teaspoon of salt and three teaspoons of sugar"​
Good to know.....and file away!
Thank you so much he has pooped it was white and had fur in it I think not sure just was a grey clump I can post pictures of him now hold on he does have eye medicine on because he had very green goo coming out his eye so I put animal eye medicine that I did have on him

Attachments

Stargirl212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Somebody else who could help is catsknowme catsknowme .

If you happen to have unflavored pedialyte in the house, you can use it too, either in the formula or by itself. From your description, it sounds like he would be dehydrated, and the pedialyte will balance out his system.

Keep him warm, too. Depending on his age, he may not be able yet to self-regulate his body temperature. And, if shock is at play, warmth is critical.

You said he wouldn't take the wet cat food. It might be that, if he hadn't been eating, he'd be feeling nauseous from the stomach acid buildup. The milk should get rid of that.....once he's settled with the milk, you might try mashing a tiny bit of the cat food into a small amount of the milk. That's how to transition kittens from milk to solid foods - that's, of course, if he'll drink the formula from a dish.
Thank you So much

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi I went to my cousin's house and one of there cats was very not moving and looking dead he's definitely really skinny and probably 1 or 2 months old or weeks I'm not sure at all please I do not know what to feed him I don't have kitten milk replacer and I just need something to feed him today so I can get him replacer tomorrow please help.
The quick first answer. You solve some glucose sugar in water, and have a tiny trifle kitchen salt in.... He wont thrive on this, but he will survive several days _ this will buy you time.

If you dont have glucose sugar proper, you can use white caro syrup, or honey, or even common table sugar.

Begin with this, so he comes to live, and you proceed later on with other foods you can find.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi I went to my cousin's house and one of there cats was very not moving and looking dead he's definitely really skinny and probably 1 or 2 months old or weeks I'm not sure at all please I do not know what to feed him I don't have kitten milk replacer and I just need something to feed him today so I can get him replacer tomorrow please help.
The quick first answer. You solve some glucose sugar in water, and have a tiny trifle kitchen salt in.... He wont thrive on this, but he will survive several days _ this will buy you time.

If you dont have glucose sugar proper, you can use white caro syrup, or honey, or even common table sugar.

Begin with this, so he comes to live, and you proceed later on with other foods you can find.

Stargirl212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you So much but do you know the measurements or anything

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It depends on a little of what you have. Glucose sugar proper hasnt much taste, so you can give quite a much. Honey is very sweety, so you cant give as much, the kitten will protest.

You will may taste off, it shall barely taste sweet. If you give a little too much, its not harmful.

Say 1 teaspoon of sugar in a coffe cup (150 ml), and just some trifle kitchen salt.

Stargirl212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It depends on a little of what you have. Glucose sugar proper hasnt much taste, so you can give quite a much. Honey is very sweety, so you cant give as much, the kitten will protest.

You will may taste off, it shall barely taste sweet. If you give a little too much, its not harmful.

Say 1 teaspoon of sugar in a coffe cup (150 ml), and just some trifle kitchen salt.
Thank you so much very much appreciated thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I havent read the whole thread yet, I understand you are still in distress.

So, what is OK for kittens to eat in an emergency, aside of this sugar water? Begin with this sugar water, to give some strengh.

Goats milk is always very good!

Cow milk is not good, but plain youghurt should be OK. If you by any chance have access to RAW unpasteruized cow milk, this should be OK.

Human milk replacer is OK for kittens! Do dilute less than for a baby. Perhaps some neighbour has?

And yes, kmr, ie kitten mothermilk replacer, are good, as you yourself say. If you have several to choose from: KMR in powder is good, GNC makes also a good brand based on goats milk. Hartz is less reliable - do avoid.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly I know giving them water is bad but I had to risk it just so he can have some hydration I tired and he can drink and I also tired mashed wet cat food and no he spits it out
Wise thinking! Good tries! If he is 8 weeks or even less, he should be able to process wet food. So continue trying with this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly I know giving them water is bad but I had to risk it just so he can have some hydration I tired and he can drink and I also tired mashed wet cat food and no he spits it out
Ps. Water isnt bad by itself, but its nowhere enough... But water with glucose sugar and a trifle salt, its a sort of home made pedialyte. And this is OK.

Ps. An alternative way of pedialyte is if you have rice, and take some rice and lotsa of water. You do overboil the rice thrice as long as usual.

You take the water, add a trifle of kitchen salt...

And you get a fluid with lotsa of glucose sugar, some free carbos, and salt. This is a terrific pedialyte for diarrhea, but works also as an emergency pedialyte.
And will buy you time.

Just be sure you cool it down, so its not more than body warm.

Stargirl212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havent read the whole thread yet, I understand you are still in distress.

So, what is OK for kittens to eat in an emergency, aside of this sugar water? Begin with this sugar water, to give some strengh.

Goats milk is always very good!

Cow milk is not good, but plain youghurt should be OK. If you by any chance have access to RAW unpasteruized cow milk, this should be OK.

Human milk replacer is OK for kittens! Do dilute less than for a baby. Perhaps some neighbour has?

And yes, kmr, ie kitten mothermilk replacer, are good, as you yourself say. If you have several to choose from: KMR in powder is good, GNC makes also a good brand based on goats milk. Hartz is less reliable - do avoid.
Thank you so much I think his strength is going up because he keep walking out his box so thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I have read now. You got good advices!
This emergency recipe you got should be working, yes.
Evaporated milk, egg yolk, water, add some honey or plain table sugar as you dont have Karo, a trifle salt... mix it and boil it together if the recipe says so. Cool down to body temp....

Status
Not open for further replies.