Help Please! 5 days old kitten has a swollen paw

Luna_lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I rescued a kitten and there was no momma. I was riding my bicycle in the evening and heard them making noises and saw 3 newborn kittens (their eyes are still shut). I made sure that Im far away and waited for 2 hrs before taking them in. I took them in 5 days ago and everything went fine until today, the other kitten paw is swollen. I am planning to go to the vet today but the vet will open after 3 hrs. What can I do for the meantime to help the kitten? Please Help 🥺

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, that paw looks bad. Is there an afterhours number for the clinic you can call? Or a 24/hr vet? The kitten needs to be seen immediately, and I would take the others in to be looked over as well. The skin over the kitten's body looks quite irritated as well and needs to be seen by a vet.

If you wait much longer, I think there is a good chance the kitten will lose its leg.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing these kittens. Do you have a weight on each? Are you feeding every 2 hours with kitten formula?

I agree that kitten’s paw needs help - as in an injury possibly occurred and antibiotics are necessary for healing. It may have been there and just showing up now as infection takes time to settle in.

Please get this kitten treated ASAP by a vet. It needs professional help to survive. The only thing to do in the meantime would be a warm, wet cloth applied to ease pain and possibly draw out infection, but that is a stop-gap measure. He needs a vet and meds.

Hopefully you’ve had him to a vet by now for proper meds.

Please keep us posted! L Luna_lily

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna_lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really appreciate your guys help. I already went into the vet and they said they cant give any medications/antibiotics since they're still young. I just need to heat compress the paw and use anti bacterial to cleanse their bodies. They said it might because of the area where I found them dirty and it spread into their bodies and there's a wound in her paw thats why its swollen. I didnt clean them cause I thought its not good to wet their bodies. Anyway, they said to come after 2 weeks so we can deworm them. 🥺

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said to clean them so I would. The key there is to keep the babies warm and to dry their bodies after cleaning. That paw must be kept clean. Kittens get chilled easily so be sure to keep them warm. Follow the vet instructions but please keep us updated as you go. If you need more information , ask! If you feel you need further vet help, call around. Maybe you can find a good foster with lots of kitten experience to help you get them cleaned up?? You could ask the vet if they know of anyone to help you. Did the vet give you any instructions on how to clean them and care for them?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So vets, or at least some vets, arent giving antibiotics to small kittens. Even if it were perfectly possible... Question is, is this a common
practice among vets, or just some old fashioned vets arent giving antibiotics to small kittens?

Luna_lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. Im sorry I was not clear, what I meant is before, thats why i didnt dare to clean them but I am cleaning them now after I visited the vet and yes they did instruct me how to clean it by using antibacterial wipes to their bodies. For the paw, it just needs to be heat compress. I am asking anyone I know and even join this group for further knowledge and I really appreciate your responses! 🥺💓 It helps a lot. I will keep you guys updated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the leg does not improve, please see a different vet. Many vets erroneously believe you cannot give antibiotics to tiny kittens, but you can and should if they need it. Tiny kittens get tiny doses. There are vets who understand tiny kittens better and will give antibiotics if they are needed.

Luna_lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's 2 am here and the paw is still the same, the kitten seems like she doesnt want to eat anymore. She eats so little and now weak 🥺 The one I went is the best vet out here but I will go look to a diff. vet tomorrow. 🥺

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems time to supplement feedings until you can get kitty to the vet. Do you have a syringe and KMR?

You can give her some corn syrup for quick energy, right on her gums. You can do that with your finger, but don't depend on the syrup for anything other than a quick energy shot. It's a bit like Red Bull for a kitten.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'd forgotten that they were so little and you'd be bottle-feeding them anyway. You can try the syrup to give the sick one a bit of a boost.

You must be on the other side of the world from me. Should be morning where you are by now. Please do let us know how the visit goes with the new vet.

Luna_lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her paw is starting to heal but unfortunately, she did not survive :'( I was trying to force feed her since she wont eat. Im so sorry guys. It's so heart breaking. I wasnt able to go to the vet since it open by 9.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear she passed away. She did not get proper treatment at the vet. She may have become septic. You did the best you could though. I hope the others continue to do well.

Luna_lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! what would be the cause why kitten wont suddenly eat?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kitten has aspirated milk into its lungs it will develop pneumonia and not eat. Is the kitten struggling to breathe? If so, you need a vet right away and antibiotics.

Luna_lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, she can breathe properly but she wont eat and likes to sleep instead, I tried to force feed her as well but doesnt work. I'll go to a vet instead. 🥺

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says. And be very careful about force-feeding. This can cause aspiration.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, she can breathe properly but she wont eat and likes to sleep instead, I tried to force feed her as well but doesnt work. I'll go to a vet instead. 🥺
If you have a vet whom is used to kittens, its prob the best yes.

You can try to give her some glucose sugar. In USA it will be typically a droplet or two of white caro syrup on the gum, inside the lips. Gives quick energhy.
Also, if they happen to get low blood sugar level, they become lethargic... its potentially life threating.

So, a droplet of white caro syrup or honey. Or maple syrup if its what you have at hand.

Luna_lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I went to the vet and decided to have her stay cause she wont eat anymore. I let the vet take care of her and they tried everything, force feed her, give vitamins and put something liquid at her back cause she is already dehydrated but my kitten doesnt have a will to live and still wont eat. Im sorry guys but three of them didnt survive :'(