Help - outdoor kitty adjust to new life indoors

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, but you'll figure it out. Maybe over on some of the other threads with others who have multiple other pets, someone can give you some tips & advice. If you search, I'm sure they'll be a few threads on it.
She's making progress though, so that's a step in the right direction. 😊❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been following your story and am so glad to hear that progress is being made! Here is my take on the litter question!

Several years ago, I started using Cat Attract litter when one of my cats was having litter box issues. Along with a vet check, etc., I started to add a little Cat Attract on the top of the usual litter. I watched as this cat seemed drawn like a magnet to use the litter! When I brought a feral and a stray cat inside, they also used this litter readily. Although it is more expensive than many other brands, I have continued to use it and now use it "straight," not mixing it with another brand. I don't think it has a strong smell. I usually order it from Chewy or Amazon and once in a while, it will be on sale!
Thank you and thanks for sharing your experience using Cat Attract. I'm not too concerned about price, I'm more interested in Kitty using the box. I'm sure I paid a premium, it was $29.99 and $1.99 tax for a 40 lb. bag but it was so nice to have free delivery. The non-clumping clay litter I'm using was only $5 for a 40 lb. bag. I got it at a local Pet Valu during their store closing sale and I really it bought to use for traction in the winter on my deck steps. I don't typically shop at Petsmart but I will be comparing their costs with Chewy and my local pet store. I know you said it doesn't have a strong smell but what would you think if a box filled with this litter was located under a table with a long tablecloth? This where Kitty feels safe going potty for now so I am hoping the smell won't be overwhelming in a confined space. Any recommendations on litter scoops for cleaning the box? I used to use a plastic colander but I long ago got rid of it when my last cat passed.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, but you'll figure it out. Maybe over on some of the other threads with others who have multiple other pets, someone can give you some tips & advice. If you search, I'm sure they'll be a few threads on it.
She's making progress though, so that's a step in the right direction. 😊❤
True, I can check out the other threads for suggestions. First I should probably focus on getting kitty into a carrier to go to the vet and to be spayed. Thanks again for your help and encouragement!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The 40 pound bag (maybe the smaller one, too) has a coupon for $1.00 that can be used if you shop in a store. I end up ordering a bag or two from Chewy when I need to have just one more thing to bring the price up so I can take advantage of free shipping!

I have four cats with litter boxes in several places, including my bedroom (long story there!) and maybe I don't have a good sense of smell, but I never have found the litter itself to have a bad odor. I use cheap plastic scoops for poop (probably got them at Target or PetSmart years ago), but I usually use a paper towel to get the pee off the bottom of the litter box if it reaches there, and then wipe the spot clean. That extra step is worth it to me to keep the litter boxes cleaner for longer periods of time!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little kitten. How old is she? She might be happier being a garage cat, than in your home.(months from now.) You can get her a doggy door on the garage & an insulated cat home &/or a heated car bed. Kittens imprint on humans by 3 months. The window is very small. Otherwise they are feral, which is OK. It just means they don’t like/trust humans.

Community/feral cats can make good pets but it takes years! We found Ches (Chester) at about 4 months old. He followed our other cats from the yard, into the kitchen to eat. Chess is now 15 years old. He was a garage cat for about 8 years. He still goes outside instead of a litter box and & roams the neigborhood a bit every night. He didn’t really become a reformed feral until I moved in with my 2 housecats, during a divorce. What helped him the most was watching my 2 cats interact with me. One day I shook the treat bag & I had 3 cats sitting quietly for treats instead of 2. So I gave him treats. In the last 2 years he has started a nightly cuddly routine with my mom, before she goes to bed. Of course he still wants out part of the night. 😉 Chester still is not like pet cats. You have to watch the tip of his tail when you pet him. If you don’t stop at the slight twitch, he will scratch you. I can sometimes get him to play when I visit. He doesn’t follow you around like a house cat. He prefers to be pet outside. Don’t even think about clipping his nails. He sleeps on my mom’s bed more during the day, since he is a senior. He also has a cat buddy that lives down the street. They hang out together every day.

So eventually what may help her is a well socialized kitten she can learn from. That and either being a garage cat or a catio or harness training her. Thank you for taking her in!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and a tall cat tree & hopefully cat shelves eventually will give her a place up high to be near you & observe the dogs safely. Start training the dogs now not to go in the room that has her litter box in it & make sure it is lidless. ( you might want to get a black light now & clean up any accidents with an enzyme cleaner.)

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The 40 pound bag (maybe the smaller one, too) has a coupon for $1.00 that can be used if you shop in a store. I end up ordering a bag or two from Chewy when I need to have just one more thing to bring the price up so I can take advantage of free shipping!

I have four cats with litter boxes in several places, including my bedroom (long story there!) and maybe I don't have a good sense of smell, but I never have found the litter itself to have a bad odor. I use cheap plastic scoops for poop (probably got them at Target or PetSmart years ago), but I usually use a paper towel to get the pee off the bottom of the litter box if it reaches there, and then wipe the spot clean. That extra step is worth it to me to keep the litter boxes cleaner for longer periods of time!
Glad to hear it's not smelly. Good tips, I'll keep an eye out for coupons if Kitty likes the litter. I've had to do the same with Chewy. I don't order from them that often because I feed my dogs purchased raw food and that cannot be shipped so I stick to purchased food for donations and toys.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little kitten. How old is she? She might be happier being a garage cat, than in your home.(months from now.) You can get her a doggy door on the garage & an insulated cat home &/or a heated car bed. Kittens imprint on humans by 3 months. The window is very small. Otherwise they are feral, which is OK. It just means they don’t like/trust humans.

Community/feral cats can make good pets but it takes years! We found Ches (Chester) at about 4 months old. He followed our other cats from the yard, into the kitchen to eat. Chess is now 15 years old. He was a garage cat for about 8 years. He still goes outside instead of a litter box and & roams the neigborhood a bit every night. He didn’t really become a reformed feral until I moved in with my 2 housecats, during a divorce. What helped him the most was watching my 2 cats interact with me. One day I shook the treat bag & I had 3 cats sitting quietly for treats instead of 2. So I gave him treats. In the last 2 years he has started a nightly cuddly routine with my mom, before she goes to bed. Of course he still wants out part of the night. 😉 Chester still is not like pet cats. You have to watch the tip of his tail when you pet him. If you don’t stop at the slight twitch, he will scratch you. I can sometimes get him to play when I visit. He doesn’t follow you around like a house cat. He prefers to be pet outside. Don’t even think about clipping his nails. He sleeps on my mom’s bed more during the day, since he is a senior. He also has a cat buddy that lives down the street. They hang out together every day.

So eventually what may help her is a well socialized kitten she can learn from. That and either being a garage cat or a catio or harness training her. Thank you for taking her in!
Aww, Chester sounds adorable! We aren't really sure how old she is, guessing about 6 months, which is why I think the extra meowing at times might be because she is in heat. On the other hand, she could just be a chatty cat. She is quiet most of the day and meows more at night. Any time you talk to her she responds right away with soft meows. In any case, her history indicates she probably would not be happier as a garage cat. Many months ago (Sept.), she was visiting my neighbor's house, even though their resident feral cat tried to drive her away. She kept coming back every day and she befriended the neighbor's son. She followed them in their house via the laundry room multiple times and clearly wanted to stay but the resident cats weren't having it, which is how she ended up at my house before the snow storm began. She also sat in the neighbor's son's lap regularly so I think Kitty has the potential to trust people. Frankly, I am surprised she came out to explore so soon but she's smart and knows when the dogs are snoozing and not downstairs, lol. I have thought about having my dogs stay overnight at the pet sitter's for the weekend so I can get Kitty to come out and explore more thoroughly and we could interact more easily but I'm not sure if that's a good idea because they will eventually have to come home. And yes, buying a tall cat tree is a good idea (too bad I donated mine to the local shelter). I have a small piece of cat furniture slightly under 2 feet high so that's a start. As for the litter box, it's lidless but it will have to be a temporary location (it's in the dining room which is really a small part of the living room). It's under a folding table I don't normally have out (it's used as a table for Xmas villages) so I have to put it away and I don't want a litter box located where we eat. My main bathroom probably makes the most sense because it's fairly large and out of the way but easily accessible from the 1st floor. I can also put one on the lower level of my house where the family room is.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news, it sounds like she is a stray! Since she is at home in a house & can be friendly. I hope she bonds with you quickly.
Since she will need a vet check up & vaccines before she gets fixed anyway, just ask the vet to look for the spay scar for you. You can also get her microchipped.

The reason I said lidless was so the dogs would not corner her in the litter box. Plus a nervous kitty feels more secure without them feeling like going pee, puts them at risk. The reason I said to not let the dogs in the litter box room was because 1 they might bug her & 2 dogs sometimes eat the poo out of the box. 🤮 A baby gate can help until the dogs are trained. Also they recommend 2 boxes for one cat. I would put them in different rooms/levels & might put one up high for her until the dogs are trained. How well could you pee if someone’s kept barging into your bathroom & bugging you? ⭐Nervous pee-ers often find other places to relieve themselves.

Until you can get or afford a new cat tree, you could group your furniture in a way do she can get up high. It could lead to the top of a bookshelf or top of the fridge or top of the closet. I got a good deal on my 7 foot tower on Chewy.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your info and ideas. A friend is going to give me a cat crate her cat no longer fits in so that is what I plan to use to take her to the vet. I expect it will take time for her to bond with me. I already have 2 baby gates installed in my kitchen (1 leads to the downstairs family room and 1 leads to the living room). This is how I'm keeping the dogs separated from Kitty now. I know some dogs eat cat poo (ick) but I'm not really sure how to elevate a cat box, maybe on top of a cardboard box? I would think the box would need to be larger than the litter box so there is room for kitty to step in/out of the box. The other issue is Ezra, my a 7 pound Chihuahua mix, is a climber and a jumper so I don't think it would be tough for him to get to the box so I am just hoping he won't be interested. My 11 pound Chihuahua Jack Russell is also athletic. They are both senior dogs but still quite active. The rooms in my house are small and finding space for litter boxes and cat trees is going to be challenging but I have some ideas. Kitty has already hopped my gates so I expect she will have no problem getting on the dining room table or the kitchen island. I guess it's time to go cat tree shopping; I'll check Chewy.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: Kitty is now eating dry food and drinking water. Still has not used the litter box. I was advised she sniffed the neighbor's cats' litter boxes but kitty has never actually used one. My local rescue advises that kittens catch on fast but I'm not experiencing that in this situation. Litter box is on the other side of the room she is in under a table with a long tablecloth so she is covered. I am using plain, unscented, non-clumping clay litter. I don't want her to be uncomfortable and think she should be going at least #1 by now, if not #2 due to the dry food consumption.
I’m sorry I don’t recall how old kitty is but since she’s started drinking water she she should be peeing soon. In case she doesn’t pee in the litter box this is what I did last year when I brought in a kitten (mother was feral). He peed outside the litter box so I soaked it up with a paper towel and placed it in the litter box and covered it just a little with litter so he could smell it. And next time he had to go he went in the box. Maybe I just happened to be lucky but that’s what worked for me. Good luck..😻

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry I don’t recall how old kitty is but since she’s started drinking water she she should be peeing soon. In case she doesn’t pee in the litter box this is what I did last year when I brought in a kitten (mother was feral). He peed outside the litter box so I soaked it up with a paper towel and placed it in the litter box and covered it just a little with litter so he could smell it. And next time he had to go he went in the box. Maybe I just happened to be lucky but that’s what worked for me. Good luck..😻
Thank you for the tip. Kitty is about 6 months but we aren't positive. The vet should be able to help determine how old she is. Thankfully, she started to use the litter box!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've pinned a lot of litter box ideas on Pinterest. I looked through my "ideas for pets" board, & found a few good ones for you that might work, or give you ideas. 😉�. Here ya go!

Screenshot_20210203-181227.png
Screenshot_20210203-181256.png
Screenshot_20210203-181331~2.png
Screenshot_20210203-181431.png
Screenshot_20210203-181513.png

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also found a cheaper, tall cat tree with good reviews that can be shipped in 2-3 days but I may end up purchasing a really good one made out of solid wood from a site I found recommended in one of the other forums (playtimeworkshop.com). I think Kitty will want to use it sooner rather than later based on our visit last night. She kept looking up in the kitchen like she was ready to jump on the counter or kitchen island but then she didn't. She gave me a good sniff and then rubbed against me multiple times. She was super vocal. I tried to give her a liver treat but she thought it was a toy and batted it around for awhile (so cute). She rolled around on the floor, etc. She was upset when I went back to bed but it was 4am and I had to get up early to take care of the dogs and start work; thank goodness I was working from home. This kitty is wearing me out!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, that's great! Rubbing against you AND interacting! Sweet girl💕 That's funny she played with the treat. 😄 Cutie. You'll have to post a picture of her when you can get one.
Yes, I figured one of the storage containers to put the litter box in might work to put the hole a little higher, or on top. Or, to make it a little more accessable for her, but not the dogs, maybe have the opening facing a corner with just enough space for her to get it & out of, but not the dogs w/I making it too akward or difficult for her.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwww, that's great! Rubbing against you AND interacting! Sweet girl💕 That's funny she played with the treat. 😄 Cutie. You'll have to post a picture of her when you can get one.
Yes, I figured one of the storage containers to put the litter box in might work to put the hole a little higher, or on top. Or, to make it a little more accessable for her, but not the dogs, maybe have the opening facing a corner with just enough space for her to get it & out of, but not the dogs w/I making it too akward or difficult for her.
She is sweet, but that is restricted to the middle of the night, lol. During the day she hisses at me when I go to scoop her litter or give her food but I think it's not unusual considering she knows the dogs are in the next room. I usually don't have my phone nearby to snap a pic so I'll try to remember to get one next time. In the meantime, here is a screenshot of her in the neighbor's garage (not really good quality). She is a tortie with quite a bushy tail and a petite face. I'd have to see her side by side next to Ezra but I'm guessing she weighs more than he does. He's quite skinny and squeezes into the smallest spaces so I think no matter how I set up the litter box, if he really wants to get in there, he will, unless I keep him behind a gate (he cannot jump that high).

Attachments