Help - outdoor kitty adjust to new life indoors

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello cat experts!
I am an experienced cat owner; I owned 3 indoor only male cats for 18 years and a female cairn terrier for 10 years. 12 years later, I'm now in unfamiliar territory. Those pets have passed and I own 2 small Chihuahua mixes (7 and 11 pounds) who are well behaved around my pet sitter's kitten. My neighbor's son befriended a kitten who we believe was part of a feral cat colony. The kitten was rejected by the colony so she started hanging at the neighbor's house. The neighbor has a resident, feral cat who has tried to drive kitty away but she has been persistent in visiting. She ate there but slept across the street under the deck of a neighbor's house across the street. She's affectionate towards the neighbor's 16 yr old son, sits on his lap and watches him and friends play basketball. The neighbor wanted to bring her inside but she has a sickly cat with only 1 kidney and another cat and both freaked out when kitty entered the laundry room a few times. It is now freezing and we are due for a severe snow storm of up to 12 inches of snow so we decided it was time bring her bring her inside to my house.

She's been here only for 36 hours so of course I'm not expecting much but she isn't eating or drinking. I wanted to keep her in my spare bedroom but my house is old and the room isn't insulated well so it's 60 degrees even when the downstairs is 70 so I thought it would be cruel. Instead I choose the family room which is on the lower level of my home. I wasn't counting on her being able to, or motivated to jump the gate at the top of the stairs into my kitchen. She also jumped the gate into the living room, which is where she has remained behind a couch and under a table with a long tablecloth she can hide under. I moved her litter box (which doesn't appear to have been used) to the room along with her water and dry food she was eating outside. I have tried to tempt her with a grain free cat pate and a homemade food cat recipe and she hasn't touched anything. To make things a tad more complicated, I think she is in heat. There is a lot of meowing outside of the conversations we have and we are guessing she is about 6 months old, so the timing appears to be right for her to be in heat. I am keeping my dogs away from her and have no idea how I'm going to get her to a vet for a health check and to be spayed. My dogs realize she's in the house and they bark from the adjacent kitchen occasionally but they seem to know she is stressed. Yesterday I went to work so she had the house to herself (my dogs went to daycare). I checked in on her via my camera app but I didn't see her so I don't think she explored the house. My house is small, only 1300 sq ft so I don't have options for relocating her and I don't want to stress her further by forcing her to go somewhere else, like the bathroom. I don't know how I could catch her anyway. Any ideas on how to get her to eat and use the litter box? I don't want to end up with a dehydrated kitty, or worse. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, first if all, bless you for taking this little one. ❤ I don't have much to offer, but hoping to give this a little bump, so you'll get some help from others with more advice.
You can try some baby food. Just make sure there's no seasoning in it like garlic or onion of course, but you probably already know that part. Maybe some chicken. Otherwise, have you tried some really smelly, fishy food? That should get her attention, & hopefully prompt her to start eating. This way, she'll be getting some moisture in her too. Maybe some of the little cans of fancy feast with shrimp in it or something. I hope this helps, & wish you luck. I'll watch for updates. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your ideas. My homemade stew has chicken and salmon and my previous cats loved it but perhaps it's too healthy since this kitty was being fed 9 lives dry food. I am also leaving out some of it but she's not touching it either. I'm sure it's just stress. I will try some canned fishy food and baby food (without onion). Someone else recommended dried liver treats and I'm willing to try them too.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Curious, how did you get her inside your house? A room that is 60 really isn’t that cold, a lot better than being out in the snow etc. I have a feral cat who is on our porch, which is on the cool side but since I’m trying to get her adjusted to being petted etc that’s the only location I can keep her. I have 12 indoor cats which are already separated in 2 sections of the house (long story) plus since she’s only been spayed and received rabies shot, she needs the other shots before I introduce her to my other cats. It’s taking awhile but she’s slowly coming around.
I hope your homemade stew doesn’t have onions, garlic and other spices.
Some of my cats like the jars of Gerbers baby chicken food. But I wouldn’t feed it everyday. There’s packets of chicken/tuna wet food that my cats love. I think it’s considered a food topper. I’m sorry I don’t have any right now and can’t think of the name but there are a lot of other brands. I know Fancy Feast has them.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Curious, how did you get her inside your house? A room that is 60 really isn’t that cold, a lot better than being out in the snow etc. I have a feral cat who is on our porch, which is on the cool side but since I’m trying to get her adjusted to being petted etc that’s the only location I can keep her. I have 12 indoor cats which are already separated in 2 sections of the house (long story) plus since she’s only been spayed and received rabies shot, she needs the other shots before I introduce her to my other cats. It’s taking awhile but she’s slowly coming around.
I hope your homemade stew doesn’t have onions, garlic and other spices.
Some of my cats like the jars of Gerbers baby chicken food. But I wouldn’t feed it everyday. There’s packets of chicken/tuna wet food that my cats love. I think it’s considered a food topper. I’m sorry I don’t have any right now and can’t think of the name but there are a lot of other brands. I know Fancy Feast has them.
The neighbor's son was able to get her in the carrier while she was eating dinner in the garage. Kitty was let out in my family room and immediately hid behind the couch, which was expected. She doesn't trust me like she trusts him but he was unable to get her to come out before he left so I think being in a strange place is trumping everything else right now, including food.

No, the homemade stew doesn't have onions or garlic but the recipe provided by Andi Brown, author of the book, Whole Pet Diet, posted an updated recipe online (Doc's Stew) from her earlier book. It states you may add a small amount of garlic if you wish and that many holistic doctors recommend using small amounts. I have fed this stew to dogs and cats for years with garlic and they tolerated it just fine (1 small clove for 20 cups of food). I used a homeopathic vet for years who also advised garlic in small amounts is very safe and that an animal would have consume very large amounts to become ill. I don't always remember to include it when I'm making it though and I was out of it when I made my last 2 batches.

As for the room, I thought the same thing initially but my vet said "if it's too cold for you, it's too cold for them." We are having a cold snap right now so the room is reading 58. Lastly, the neighbor said the cat immediately sat on their vent when she entered their laundry room so that's when I decided to try the family room.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought if something. Do you have any of the Feliway, or comfort zone diffusers you can plug into the room she's in? That may help a lot. Especially because she's stressed. Also, if it goes much longer, I'd even see if the neighbor boy could come over to be alone w/ her, to try & get her to come out & eat. I'd be really worried about her not eating too. Do you know if she's at least drinking water?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The neighbor's son was able to get her in the carrier while she was eating dinner in the garage. Kitty was let out in my family room and immediately hid behind the couch, which was expected. She doesn't trust me like she trusts him but he was unable to get her to come out before he left so I think being in a strange place is trumping everything else right now, including food.

No, the homemade stew doesn't have onions or garlic but the recipe provided by Andi Brown, author of the book, Whole Pet Diet, posted an updated recipe online (Doc's Stew) from her earlier book. It states you may add a small amount of garlic if you wish and that many holistic doctors recommend using small amounts. I have fed this stew to dogs and cats for years with garlic and they tolerated it just fine (1 small clove for 20 cups of food). I used a homeopathic vet for years who also advised garlic in small amounts is very safe and that an animal would have consume very large amounts to become ill. I don't always remember to include it when I'm making it though and I was out of it when I made my last 2 batches.

As for the room, I thought the same thing initially but my vet said "if it's too cold for you, it's too cold for them." We are having a cold snap right now so the room is reading 58. Lastly, the neighbor said the cat immediately sat on their vent when she entered their laundry room so that's when I decided to try the family room.
I actually thought it was a people stew, lol...not for cats, sorry.
I know it takes cats a long time to get comfortable with people. It’s been 3 months for me and I can only get her to sniff my hand and I’m able to brush her with a toothbrush taped to a round curtain rod. When I pet her I can hear her purr and she rubs against it. A few times when she turned around I was able to pet her for a seconds.
Patience is the key

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
As you know, 36 hours is nothing when trying to get a cat to adjust to new surroundings. Try the fish flavored food and give her a little more time to assess her situation. You are very kind to help her; if she is in heat at least you are preventing a pregnancy although I know that this is stressful
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
As you know, 36 hours is nothing when trying to get a cat to adjust to new surroundings. Try the fish flavored food and give her a little more time to assess her situation. You are very kind to help her; if she is in heat at least you are preventing a pregnancy although I know that this is stressful.
Thank you for acknowledging the stress. I am preventing a pregnancy, although I don't know what cats she's been around lately since she's been outside so I pray she really isn't). I know it will take time and I wouldn't be so worried about the hiding if she was at least drinking water and eating something. I've tried a lot of food options now, different types of treats (liver, duck, chicken), the dry food she was eating (I leave a bowl of it out all of the time), Wellness brand canned chicken pate, the homemade chicken/salmon stew (a pet food recipe) and now Fancy Feast Ocean whitefish and tuna in gravy. I have a small can of Blue flaked tuna entree in gravy and a can of N&D sea bass, squid and shrimp recipe but at this point, I don't think any food is of interest. My dogs are going crazy smelling all of this food she will not eat so I'm keeping them in the family room on the lower level so she has quiet but they are very unsettled now, which they weren't before. I have been trying to feed her in the early morning and early evening, leaving the wet food out for about an hour before putting it away. Each time I have fed her a completely new meal (not sure what I'm going to do with all of this extra food). I am thinking of trying to feed her later tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day (it will be day 3 without food and water).

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for acknowledging the stress. I am preventing a pregnancy, although I don't know what cats she's been around lately since she's been outside so I pray she really isn't). I know it will take time and I wouldn't be so worried about the hiding if she was at least drinking water and eating something. I've tried a lot of food options now, different types of treats (liver, duck, chicken), the dry food she was eating (I leave a bowl of it out all of the time), Wellness brand canned chicken pate, the homemade chicken/salmon stew (a pet food recipe) and now Fancy Feast Ocean whitefish and tuna in gravy. I have a small can of Blue flaked tuna entree in gravy and a can of N&D sea bass, squid and shrimp recipe but at this point, I don't think any food is of interest. My dogs are going crazy smelling all of this food she will not eat so I'm keeping them in the family room on the lower level so she has quiet but they are very unsettled now, which they weren't before. I have been trying to feed her in the early morning and early evening, leaving the wet food out for about an hour before putting it away. Each time I have fed her a completely new meal (not sure what I'm going to do with all of this extra food). I am thinking of trying to feed her later tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day (it will be day 3 without food and water).
Also, forgot to thank you for the links to the articles. Very helpful!

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just thought if something. Do you have any of the Feliway, or comfort zone diffusers you can plug into the room she's in? That may help a lot. Especially because she's stressed. Also, if it goes much longer, I'd even see if the neighbor boy could come over to be alone w/ her, to try & get her to come out & eat. I'd be really worried about her not eating too. Do you know if she's at least drinking water?
No, but I asked at my local pet store today if they had diffusers in stock and they did not. They were happy to order it for me but that doesn't help me right now. Another one of my neighbors also suggested to have the neighbor's son visit. We are now in the middle of a snowstorm and they are a 10 minute drive away (they live in my dad's neighborhood and we are all friends via the Nextdoor app). The soonest he could probably visit is Tuesday. I don't believe she is drinking water either. I clean her bowl and refill it. She meows occasionally and I sit with her alone (my dogs are in another room). If I peek over the edge of the couch to see her she sometimes hisses but she meows more than hisses. OMG, as I am typing this, I hear her crunching on her dry food, progress! Unfortunately, she's almost out of it and I cannot find the brand she was eating (I've checked 2 stores already). I could run out again to try a different brand but not sure she will eat it (you know how picky cats are).

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's progress!! Hopefully she'll eat later tonight too, as you said. I always ordered the comfort zone diffusers & refills on amazon. It's much cheaper than in the stores, & the Feliway. I know it doesn't help right now, but if you have Prime, you could get it pretty soon. Sooner than a store order. 🤞🙏 That she'll continue to eat!

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave my feral turned friendly-feral KittyKat Savory Centers cat food from Purina. This after she rejected "normal" cat food off and on and I have cans of unappreciated other brands of cat food just sitting there.

You can look at the reviews ... I posted one site that sells it at a good price, it's still pricey. But KittyKat fits the image others write about, she licks her bowl clean and I leave little surprise extra dots of the food around the sides and top of the bowl, and she loves to search for them! That's how much she loves them. Cleans her bowl every time.

Worth a try if you can find a can at a large grocery store?

FANCY FEAST Savory Centers Variety Pack Canned Cat Food | Chewy (Free Shipping)

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, I have Prime and I was thinking the same but not sure they deliver as quickly in storms but I'll go ahead and order it anyway. I just came back from the local grocery store, which I normally don't shop because of their high prices and it's just not my kind of store but it's the best I could do in a snow storm. I bought Blue chicken dry food. It looks similar to what she was eating. I also pray she will eat it, finally drink some water and use the litter box. Thank you for your support!

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave my feral turned friendly-feral KittyKat Savory Centers cat food from Purina. This after she rejected "normal" cat food off and on and I have cans of unappreciated other brands of cat food just sitting there.

You can look at the reviews ... I posted one site that sells it at a good price, it's still pricey. But KittyKat fits the image others write about, she licks her bowl clean and I leave little surprise extra dots of the food around the sides and top of the bowl, and she loves to search for them! That's how much she loves them. Cleans her bowl every time.

Worth a try if you can find a can at a large grocery store?

FANCY FEAST Savory Centers Variety Pack Canned Cat Food | Chewy (Free Shipping)
Thank you, my local store may have had it, they had a dizzying amount of Fancy Feast Flavors so I'll be sure to try it if the need arises.

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually thought it was a people stew, lol...not for cats, sorry.
I know it takes cats a long time to get comfortable with people. It’s been 3 months for me and I can only get her to sniff my hand and I’m able to brush her with a toothbrush taped to a round curtain rod. When I pet her I can hear her purr and she rubs against it. A few times when she turned around I was able to pet her for a seconds.
Patience is the key
Thank you, yes patience and a bit of craziness. I shouldn't be surprised that I've been out 3 times today (twice in the snow) looking for food for this baby!

NJResident

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Kitty is now eating dry food and drinking water. Still has not used the litter box. I was advised she sniffed the neighbor's cats' litter boxes but kitty has never actually used one. My local rescue advises that kittens catch on fast but I'm not experiencing that in this situation. Litter box is on the other side of the room she is in under a table with a long tablecloth so she is covered. I am using plain, unscented, non-clumping clay litter. I don't want her to be uncomfortable and think she should be going at least #1 by now, if not #2 due to the dry food consumption.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, that's s good start! Well, if your going to order diffusers from amazon, you could also order some litter attract, & that might help. Hopefully she'll use it before then, but good to have on hand either way. In the meanwhile, I was going to say, maybe you could gather up some dirt from outside to put on top of the litter, to hopefully help, but remembered you have a lot of snow, so not sure if you can get to any.
Here's a link...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PKUUU0/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MW3WZPH/?tag=thecatsite