Help! One oval painful grey growth on cat paw

Cat Lover Forever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been occasionally biting at her paw the last few weeks. We thought she was just cleaning herself and didn’t make much of it. Today we noticed this growth on her. When its touched she meows in pain. I’m taking her to vet on Monday, but has anyone seen anything like in the pictures.
Thank you sincerely for any input.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it extremely hard? It's possible it's a cutaneous horn, but impossible to say from looking at a picture on the internet. Those aren't usually painful, but due to the location I suppose it could be.

Glad you're taking her in to be examined. Let us know the outcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Lover Forever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will absolutely keep you posted so other cat owners can know as well if they see the same thing. Thank you for the response.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens that it could be a cutaneous horn, but it seems rather large from what I have seen before. Does it hurt her to walk on it? Again, as said above, it might just hurt to press on it due to the location - and because these growths are considered inflammatory in nature. If she goes outside, it could be the result of a chemical burn or some other source of an injury, prompting the excessive growth of keratin during the healing process. Yes, please keep us posted!!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Lover Forever !

To me it looks like a textbook example of what's commonly called "pillow paw", or more properly Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex.

You can read a full coverage - with a picture of a paw that's been affected - here: Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex.

These can be frustratingly difficult to clear up, so be patient!

Cat Lover Forever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just came home from the vet and they said it’s a planter wart. They said they don’t see them too often in cats. She said if it stays bothersome that it might have to be surgically removed. At this point she is not meowing when it’s touched anymore. I think that night she was trying to bite at it and that’s what got it hurting. I had never heard of that in cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for letting us know!! I hope it doesn't hurt her anymore! If it does, did the vet think freezing might be an option as opposed to surgery?

Cat Lover Forever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet didn’t say anything about freezing. Just mentioned they can be very difficult to get rid of and sometimes they have to get in there and totally take the entire thing out. As of today, that cat is not acting in pain. She even let the vet look all around it. She did say to report back to her if the cat acted bothered by it. Time will tell. I’ll definitely keep watch if it. She says it’s not contagious to humans.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of those on a cat. Humans, yes, but never a cat....
Neither have I mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - nor has The Merck Veterinary Manual, it seems.

C Cat Lover Forever - that would be a very strange diagnosis in a cat. I suspect that you'll see a return to her 'favouring' that paw in some way or other.......in which case, if I were you, I'd be looking for a new, cat-only Veterinarian.

Also - I just noticed that I gave you an incorrect link in my post above.....it should have been this one: Pillow Foot in Cats - veterinarypartner.vin.com.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Neither have I mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - nor has The Merck Veterinary Manual, it seems.

C Cat Lover Forever - that would be a very strange diagnosis in a cat. I suspect that you'll see a return to her 'favouring' that paw in some way or other.......in which case, if I were you, I'd be looking for a new, cat-only Veterinarian.

Also - I just noticed that I gave you an incorrect link in my post above.....it should have been this one: Pillow Foot in Cats - veterinarypartner.vin.com.
C Cat Lover Forever - I tend to agree with the above posts. Be very attentive to this and if anything should arise, I would look into a second opinion. Not to alarm you, but just to prepare you to be cautious - and, very observant. Keep us posted!!