Help on getting rid of flea dirt?

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've rescued a stray cat (there are many in my area and country) and done the initial check up at the vet.

As expected - the kitty had fleas and a mite infestation, and I was given medication for both. Frontline for the fleas / lice, and it seems to have worked along with a couple of baths of flea shampoo. I did see most of the fleas/ lice fall out, and have been checking the fur to see if I can spot any more. I haven't so far and the scratching seems to have reduced as well.

However, what I have no idea about is the flea dirt that's clinging to his white fur. It's mostly near the back legs and rump. Combing with a fine-tooth flea comb seems to pull out the fur along with the dirt, and kitty mewls and runs away so I don't think it's a solution. Any other ideas for getting rid of the flea dirt?

IMG_3636.JPG

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, kitty had a bad infestation, that is horrible to have been bit that many times. Bless you for helping him/her. I would just wipe her down several times with a damp towel, turning frequently. a DAMP regular grooming brush helps remove it too. Regular grooming by the cat will get rid of most of it. The secret is damp, blood particles dissolve quickly in the presence of water. There are also pet wipes out there made for cats that may do a better job. I, myself, would use a damp towel and see what that does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my, kitty had a bad infestation, that is horrible to have been bit that many times. Bless you for helping him/her. I would just wipe her down several times with a damp towel, turning frequently. a DAMP regular grooming brush helps remove it too. Regular grooming by the cat will get rid of most of it. The secret is damp, blood particles dissolve quickly in the presence of water. There are also pet wipes out there made for cats that may do a better job. I, myself, would use a damp towel and see what that does.
Damp seems like a good idea... I’ll try the damp brush too ... and yes little one seems to be trying to groom those areas now that it has some energy and less things to worry about

Phicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This one is a good idea. But you can give him a bath if he allows you to.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try using a clean cloth moistened with hot water and Castile Soap.
(For instance, "Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild.")

Don't use water that's too hot. Maybe "warm" like you would use to wash your hands. Just temperate enough to get in there and dissolve that flea dirt.

You also don't want to use medicated flea shampoo if you're already using a topical or systemic flea treatment. The medication in the shampoo might interfere with the medicine you have already given the cat.

I use Dr. Bronner soap products throughout the house... for washing and showering. For cleaning carpets. For washing dishes. I have even used them for cleaning car parts. I don't hold out Dr. Bronner's products to be some magical cure-all but, IMO, they do what they say on the label, they are non-toxic and biodegradable. Their "Baby Mild" version is just what it says on the label: Just plain, old fashioned soap with nothing else.

I suggest getting a bowl of hot water and a squirt of soap, soak a clean cloth in the mixture and carefully wiping the spots where there is flea dirt on your cat. Let it soak for a few moments then wipe off with another clean, wet cloth.

Follow along, afterward, with a brush and dry with a dry cloth.

That should get rid of most of the flea dirt and the cat's normal grooming should get out more and the rest should fall out with natural shedding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Turned out that wasn't flea dirt but flea (and lice? he did have both....) EGGS ..... Sigh .... no wonder the bathing and damp cloth etc didn't work.

Combing them out is the only solution it seems. Good thing the little meow seems to be getting used to the fine tooth comb ....