Help No Vets Open Till Am

Catmommy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mouthy cat has spent most of this week hiding and I haven't seen him till I finally caught him tonight. He has an odour and his back paw looks extremely bad. Help I don't know what to do until a vet opens!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is horrible, but not immediately life-threatening. Get to a Walmart, or other all-night store, and buy Neosporin Ointment WITHOUT PAIN RELIEF, non-stick gauze pads, and some of that bandage stuff that sticks to itself. Place the ointment on the pad, then wrap firmly enough to stay on, but do not wrap so tightly that you cut off blood supply. Better for it to come off than to risk that.

Vet in the AM. He may lose the leg. I've seen them get over worse, but I'm neither a vet or onsite to really judge this. But be prepared. If he does, he will adjust just fine, and won't remember ever having four legs within 6 weeks or less.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I phone my vet out of hours there is a recorded message with the phone number of the nearest 24 hour veterinary hospital for emergency/out of hours treatment, that may not be much help if you live somewhere remote though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmommy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Theres no 24hr near me and unfortunately no stores open after 11pm either. I have gauze and medical tape at my disposal and the only cream I have in my household is Websters E cream

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not familiar with Websters E cream. Are you outside the US?

I would not put anything on the wound except maybe a small sock or gauze wrapping to keep debris out of the wound until you can get the cat to the vet.

Does your cat go outdoors?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Please let us have updates.
Praying here as well.

Catmommy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's an indoor cat, around here anyone sees a siamese cat and he'd be taken. I'm in a small town in Canada so I have limited options compared to the bigger cities. They can't see him till 430 so not much I can do till then.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this your only cat? Do you have any idea how the wound might have happened? Does your cat normally hide for days? Personally, if I don't see my cats for more than a few hours, I go looking for them to make sure they are ok.

The vet will be able to clean the wound and assess the extent of the injury. Antibiotics may be needed to prevent infection. Don't let the vet give Convenia. That antibiotic is known to cause serious reactions in cats.

:vibes:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd limit what you put on it until you see the vet. You can try holding a warm compress on it to help encourage the infection to drain. Betadine if you have it in the warm water may help keep it from getting worse. But he really needs to be seen as soon as possible.

Is there anyway you can ask to be called if they have an opening? Another option might be to just hang out at the vets office incase another apointment takes less time and they can see him between. My vet has offered to let me bring in my cats and they will see them between patients if time allows in urgent situations.

Catmommy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my only cat yes. And honestly not a clue what happened which freaks me out. And he's usually one for keeping to himself sleeping under blankets or on chairs under the tables, but he's also a talkative attention seeking feline. He was hiding so good that I literally could not find him that's why I forced myself to stay up longer hoping to see him pop out

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe tell the vet office that it is an emergency, as it clearly is... surely they won't make you wait till afternoon, I would hope..... Or just go there, if they will see the wound the vet should take care of it right away

Catmommy2019

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the vet went good. He'll keep his foot. They're taking him in the morning for surgery to remove the dead skin and clean it all up and bandage it. They gave him a shot and some meds for him to have at home. They also put a cone on him so he won't go after the paw anymore. They even gave him a nail trim, he even let them do his injured paw.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a lovely looking boy, I am glad you could get to a vet and that the outlook is good for him!

I hope you manage to work out how it happened so that you can prevent it in future - anything sharp he could have caught his foot on, or maybe took a nap with his foot on a hot radiator or heating vent or something? I once got a really nasty burn from rolling over onto a hot water bottle in my sleep - like serious 3 inch wide blister and burned skin around it.

Best of luck to you :)