HELP! No papers for my Pedigree Kitten!

burbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section. Please move accordingly if need be.

As some of you may know, I adopted a beautiful burmese boy from New Zealand. He is flying out of Auckland soon, but I just found out from my pet transport agency that the breeder did not include my kitten's pedigree certificate!

To make a long story short, I cannot ask my breeder for the certificate at this point.

What I want to know is...

1) How important is the pedigree certificate?

2) What restrictions will I have for not having a pedigree certificate? Does that mean I won't be able to show my kitten?

3) Do I need a pedigree certificate to register my kitten?

Thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are talking about the actual pedigree with parents/grandparents/great grandparents - that's not a big deal.

If you are talking about the actual registration papers where you fill out the cat's registered name and it has the parents names/reg. numbers, etc. on it THAT is the one you will need to register the cat.

If you don't have registration papers, you can't register and show the cat. In some associations you may need to also provide the pedigee too so you should have both papers.

Why can't you ask the breeder for the paperwork? The breeder may be holding the papers till the kitten is spayed/neutered. What was stated in your contract with the breeder as far as what paperwork you were to get?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

burbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi GoldenKitty45,

Thank you for your reply. Honestly, we didn't talk much about the paperwork. I just thought/assumed that the breeder would give me everything when she flies my kitten to me.

Well, I know I'm not going to breed my kitten. That's for sure. I am going to get him neutered at 6 months.

But I was thinking of showing him. It is not definite or certain yet, and the chances of me actually going through with the showing process is honestly slim right now. I'm going to go to my very first cat show in two weeks to see how the process is. I don't even know if my kitten is show quality.

I just thought that a pedigree paper was like a social security number, or driver's license.

If I don't intend on breeding my kitten, and "may" not show my kitten as well, is there any need for a pedigree certificate, or any certificate? Will this hinder anything in the future?

Thanks in advance!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since he/she will be altered and not bred, the papers or pedigree is not important. But if you are thinking of showing, yes they are important.

However, if you didn't buy the cat as a show cat, chances are its a pet quality and wouldn't do well in the show with other pedigrees. You COULD show it in the household pet classes without any kind of paperwork.

Have fun at the show. Post some pictures - I can tell you if its worthy of showing. What did you buy him as? Pet or Show?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't understand why you can't ask the breeder for the paperwork. They should send it to you unless you had some kind of agreement that forfeited you getting it. If you're not breeding your cat or showing it, then the paper work doesn't really matter any way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

burbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just received an email from my breeder. You are correct, they won't give me the papers until he has gotten fixed. So that's a relief, because I honestly thought that she forgot to give it to me!

From my breeder's mouth, my kitten is a "show" quality kitten because he is from champion and grand champion lines. The sire is a Kiwi grand champion stud, and the mum is a Netherlands champion dam. Now, I haven't even seen my kitten yet, and I really don't know what to look for in a show quality, but I will definitely post close-up pics of his entire body and face so you can see the detail on him, and tell me what you think.

I am so excited! I pick him up tomorrow morning!!! The pet transport people said that he is such a sweetheart, and that nobody in the office (including the boss) could do any work because all the attention was on my boy!

Thanks for all your help!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just cause the parents are grand or champions doesn't make him a "show" cat. He still could be pet quality. Pictures will help.

Charlie was originally bought as a pet, but when we picked him up the breeder told us he had turned more "show quality" and if we wanted to show him, fine. So we decided to go with it - every show he's been in (kitten and adult) he's brought home finals

I used to breed and show cats and she knew it. Otherwise I don't think she would have mentioned about him turning out to be better quality

catfur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think your biggest problem with showing will be that your Burmese is from NZ and European lines, and you are in America (CFA/TICA, etc..). There is a significant diference in type between the Burmese shown in the US, and the ones in Europe. Even though CFA has a breed for European Burmese (but not TICA), there are still often big differences in standards between organizations, and in what judges are looking for regardless of the standard.

It won't stop you from showing your cat in CFA, but unless you were looking for a cat with the CFA standard in mind, and working with the breeder on this, you may not fare very well. A show quality Burmese in GCCF or FIFe isn't necessarily a CFA show quality (and vice versa).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catfur

I think your biggest problem with showing will be that your Burmese is from NZ and European lines, and you are in America (CFA/TICA, etc..). There is a significant diference in type between the Burmese shown in the US, and the ones in Europe. Even though CFA has a breed for European Burmese (but not TICA), there are still often big differences in standards between organizations, and in what judges are looking for regardless of the standard.

It won't stop you from showing your cat in CFA, but unless you were looking for a cat with the CFA standard in mind, and working with the breeder on this, you may not fare very well. A show quality Burmese in GCCF or FIFe isn't necessarily a CFA show quality (and vice versa).
Generally speaking and I do mean generally - CFA would recognize an Oz/NZ bred Burmese to be an E. Burm.....of course it will all depend on the pedigree...

ETA: Reminder for the OP - to register a non CFA Cat to CFA you will require and 8 gen pedigree for Burmese and/or a 5 gen pedigree for E Burms. If that's confusing, please ask your breeder to send you a copy of the kitten's 5 gen pedigree. Email same to CFA and ask for clarification!

Hope this helps!