HELP! New kitten aggressive towards resident cats

mabes122

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got this new 4 month old male kitten. He was rescued and then adopted out for only a month before the adopters said he was too wild for them and got rid of him. I took him in with my two other kittens one is also 4 months and the other 11 months. Since he’s met them he has not stopped growling and hissing. When we play with him alone he is constantly growing at the toys and in general. He walks around growling. He will go up to the other cats but than his right away. My cats have done nothing but try and interact with him. They haven’t shown any aggression. I’m not sure what all this means. I waited days to introduce and he’s still very aggressive towards them and they aren’t aggressive at all. We have been feeding them together to get good reinforcement out of it but hasn’t worked and growls the whole time he’s eating.Any tips or advice would be great!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, first, growing and hissing is not an insurmountable issue. He is not attacking them and harming them. He's talking smack, essentially. How long has he been a member of the household? Some cats just take longer to adjust than others. And you are dealing with a kitten that was probably on the streets for some time (you said originally rescued, and has no idea how to behave inside, and is used to scrapping for every bite of food and every safe spot to sleep. Gonna take him some time. Especially since he thought he had a home, and lost it again.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is what you need to do: nothing! Kittens can always work through this on their own, almost always within a week or so and usually much less.