Help! New cat is hiding under bed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep she came out and laid on me, let me pet her, and locked me ALL night. I didn't get much sleep lol. But when I stood up this morning she immediately went back under my bed to hide.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep she came out and laid on me, let me pet her, and locked me ALL night. I didn't get much sleep lol. But when I stood up this morning she immediately went back under my bed to hide.
She was grooming you :)! Excellent for only her second night with you!!!!!!!!!

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a little guy do the same thing, I made up a cozy closet with some treats as an incentive and when I wasn’t around he migrated, he was happier which made it was easier to slowly make contact with him.

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is acting different today! She jumps up on my lap when sitting in my computer chair and comes out sometimes when I enter the room!

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: my cat now comes out from under the bed when I enter the room. We decided to open the rest of the house to her, but she refuses to come out of the room. Not even one step out... Is this normal? What can I do to get her to leave the room and venture out into the house?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't have other cats, right? If you do, that could be why. Otherwise, that can be normal for some cats. It has only been less than two weeks, so I don't think it is alarming. She will start to venture when she is ready, no reason to rush her. Right now, she is just comfortable with her 'safe zone' and acclimating to you. She will 'get nosy' eventually! If you have other cats, an introduction process would be needed first.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a new cat from the shelter, and the first thing she did when I let her out of the cage, is run under my bed. She was a stray and is very timid. I let her loose in my room which I thought my bedroom would be small enough but she immediately ran under my bed!
How can I get her to come out so I can put her in a bathroom? Help!
My cat hid behind a cabinet for two months when I got her. Put food and litter in the room where she is, talk to her, and leave it at that. Don't try to get her to come out. She will come out at night to eat and use the box. If not she probably needs a vet. Eventually you will have a pet cat. Maybe not the most outgoing pet cat, but my cat is very attached and affectionate with me, it just took awhile. Patience.