Help! New cat is hiding under bed!

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a new cat from the shelter, and the first thing she did when I let her out of the cage, is run under my bed. She was a stray and is very timid. I let her loose in my room which I thought my bedroom would be small enough but she immediately ran under my bed!
How can I get her to come out so I can put her in a bathroom? Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In my opinion, the worst thing you can do right now is try to get her out from under the bed. Just leave her alone and she will come out on her own when she feels comfortable. Make sure she has water, and food at meal time, and of course a litter box in the room. She'll be fine under there. That's where she feels safest at the moment.

Maybe something here will help you help her: 16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. She has picked her spot and as unfortunate as it is, disrupting her now would be even worse. Set up some 'hideaway' boxes in the room and see if over time she might pick one of those over being underneath your bed. Even if she would choose to use one or more of them for a while when you enter the room, she will likely retreat back to under the bed. Just make sure all of her needs (food, water, litterbox) are close by the bed for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I pet her and she purred. At least she is open to me touching her. Not once did she threatened to bite me but she insists on being under my bed!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she isn't pulling away from you or hissing at you, that is a good sign. Just be patient, and don't force anything upon her. Sitting on the floor nearby and softly reading a book out loud can help her to get used to your voice and your presence. Keeping some treats with you and placing them close to the edge of the bed is something you can try to see if you can get her to come out - but, don't worry if it doesn't work right away.

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She is a sweet kind soul! I know it!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bedrooms are actually considered better saferooms than bathrooms. Bathrooms are noisy (flushing). After a bit the cat will want to escape -- and thats very problematic if your a goes to the bathroom at 3 am person. And its a lot easier for you to spend quiet time in the bedroom than a bathroom, which speeds bonding. Sure, they hide under the bed -- thats totally normal -- but you just spend quiet time in there, and the cat gradually realizes you arent so bad. You can even get down on your stomach, or sit on the floor and chill, but I dont think thats necessary per so. Just be quiet and chill. A lot nicer to do that in the bedroom than on the toilet :)

Mostly for amusement purposes, I'll mention that if its an "active" bed, that could slow down the cat's acclimation. Its funny -- but probably also true. So maybe make like Ross and be Master of your Domain for a bit. In the bedroom at least :flail:

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok an update, she got up on my bed last night to let me pet her and she licked my hair! But when I got up to use the restroom she ran back under the bed. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok an update, she got up on my bed last night to let me pet her and she licked my hair! But when I got up to use the restroom she ran back under the bed. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?
Its not unusual for a cat to have a spot where it decides your safe before the cat decides your safe everywhere. So for now the bed. Pet the cat on the bed. Make a call noise. Tap the bed. Teach the cat those signals. Then go to the bed during the day and make the call noise and tap the bed. Its like imagine your courting a reluctant shy member of your preferred sex. What activities do you do with them? Whatever they like, whatever they are wiling to do with you. Once the cat starts roaming, try those same signals when your on the couch in the tv room. Another place you can be quiet and chill.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She found you less 'threatening'/scary when you were lying down, so no surprise when you moved that she went back to her 'safe place'. Pretty normal, but a very good sign that she actually came up on the bed to see you!!!!

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you guys sure she will come out and act normal sometime? Of course she will come out to eat and poop. But will she "come out" lol? I want her to be like my old cat and jump up on my lap and follow me around the house.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No one can for 'absolute sure' that she will 'act normal' sometime, but the odds are very good that she will. She needs time to adjust to a new home and a new caretaker. So, how long have you had her? How old is she, and how long was she on her own? All these things will factor into how long it takes for her to become more comfortable. I am guessing you've only had for a couple of days, and if that is the case, she has done well already. You could be looking at weeks, if not more, depending on the answers to the questions I asked above.

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is only a year old. She was a stray at one time. She could of had an owner because she let's me pet her so she is not feral. I've only had her a day. She was at the animal shelter for a couple months all caged up. She is is spayed already. I hope she comes around I love her already. I will keep you all updated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strays can take a long while sometimes, but its terrific she is already allowing pets on the bed and a great sign. As I suggested above, pet her on the bed, expanding to various times during the day, and teach her a call noise. Once you've got that working and she ventures out, you can try to expand to the couch.

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't known if she will come out tonight and get on my bed or not. I will try to do what you tell me.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Every cat is different. She may turn into such a lap cat they you can't get anything done, or she may never be a lap cat. We have two cats here and one likes to be carried around ALL the time. Sometimes he jumps into my arms before I've even finished getting dressed. I've said for years that I need to get a baby wrap thingy to hold him close to me so I can get my chores done. The other absolutely hates to be picked up. He will sort of sit in my lap (if it's ever available because of the other cat :lol: ), but it's been 14 years since we've had them and he has yet to even sit next to my husband :dunno:. Even when I'm away from home, the "needy" one then goes to him for love, but not the other one.

BUT, coming out on her first night and laying with you is a very good sign in my book. Just don't rush her. And nothing says you can't go in there during the day for a little nap to see what happens. Maybe go in there and lay down and read a book or something and see if she comes up on the bed. Good luck and keep us posted.

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Well she came out briefly when I stuck my hand under the bed, but she ran back under the bed when she heard my dad's footsteps. Darn.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How about last night? Did she come out when you went to bed?