HELP NEEDED - Kitten with diarrhea after transition to raw food. Is it detox?

Creong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 month old kitten who has had loose stool (not exactly uncontrollable diarrhea, but mushy stool) for more than a month. I transitioned him to a commercial raw diet around 2 days back, and his stool became a full-blown watery diarrhea. He hasn't had any accidents outside the litterbox yet, but it's really messy because it gets on his paws and stuff. Weirdly, his watery stool has almost no odour compared to his previous loose stool.

I've read that some cats (or kittens) go through a detox period after a transition to raw diet. May I ask if anyone has experiences with this and how long it'll take to pass?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Creong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and he hasn't vomitted or displayed any other symptoms. Just the watery stool.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My cats didn’t have any issues when I transitioned them to a raw diet, but they weren’t kittens and they didn’t already have problems with their stools. Have you already taken your kitten to the vet for a checkup, vaccinations, neutering, etc.? It’s possible that the transition in his diet made an existing problem worse, but you’ll want to find out why he was having the issue in the first place. The diarrhea may lessen in another couple of days once he adjusts to his new diet, but if he still is having problems next week, I’d take him to the vet.

Yes, one of the lovely side benefits to a raw diet is that for most cats, their poop smells very little or not at all. Most. Two or my three have completely odorless poop. The third? Phew. Bad. :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible it's sensitive stomach, Kittens get it worse than adults if you switch food suddenly. Did you slowly transition him over time or did you switch him right from one food to the other?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I slowly added raw food to her diet and she threw up her whole meal. Never done that before! So not all cats can eat raw for different reasons