HELP NEEDED! Giving my cat away, will she get depressed?

alybo1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, 

I adopted a tiny kitten with a broken leg in December last year. She's grown to be playful and eats a LOT.... I can't keep her anymore because I already have one cat and my sister isn't letting me keep this one. The ultimatum is that either she stays or the kitten. Now I am thinking of giving the kitten away to a trusty vet.. My only concerns are:

Will she miss me too much? As I've been the caretaker

Will she get depressed for weeks and feel scared in the new environment?

Also that, I want her to live as long as possible and I hate that I'm giving someone else the responsibility because no matter what I wouldnt be carefree since I'll worry for her too much. 

She poops and her poops smells way bad, she eats my other cats food and she makes a lot of mess... So I have to give her up :(

bella8188

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you adopt her from a shelter? Some shelters ask that cats be returned there, or at least be notified that you can't keep the cat.

Just curious why you adopted the kitten, if you already have a cat?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet is trustworthy, your kitten will probably adjust just fine. My daughter and I adopted a companion cat that was very bonded to her previous owner and after a day of explaining to the cat why a total stranger picked her up and drove 250 miles in the night before she got out of her new carrier, the kitty settled right in. At the very least, your kitty will appreciate being away from the stress of being around a resentful person.

msmamakat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your dilemma. my opinion is, she will be as distressed and depressed as you will be. if she is adopted by loving people her memory of you will fade. but if she ends up staying in a cage for weeks and weeks, her anxiety may make very untrusting.
I will pray to the cosmos for a good outcome.
bless you for doing all that you've done for her. you'll Never regret the kindness and love you have had during you time with her.
(to bad you can't move some where in order to keep her)
good [emoji]127808[/emoji] for her ! and you!

>^..^

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

I'm so sorry you're in this position. Would your sister be prepared to compromise a little and give you a little while to find this kitten a home? I'm just thinking that the least stressful option for both you and her would be to approach a good local shelter and put her up for adoption, but to effectively become her foster carer until a forever home is found. That way, she'd be going straight from one home environment to another - SO much better than being caged whilst waiting to be adopted.

With her poop being so stinky - that doesn't sound normal to me. Sure, cat poop is never going to smell wonderful, but extra stinky poop is often a sign that something isn't quite right digestively. The two most common causes are parasites and food sensitivities. Take her to the vet for a checkup, and take a poop sample for testing. Parasites are VERY common in kittens and in rescue cats (whether from a shelter or found living rough), so it's very possible that this is something that can be sorted out. It's pretty common for cats to be sensitive to some ingredient or other too, so that's definitely worth investigating.

How old is you kitten now? And what food are you feeding her (and your adult cat, as she's sneaking that food too). What sorts of messes is she making, too? The more information we have, the easier it is to help you find solutions...hopefully meaning that your sister will give you a little time to find this little one her forever home.