HELP! Need to relocate a semi-feral outdoor cat

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend works at a place that adopted a cat solely for pest control purposes. His employers got her around 4-5 years ago when was a kitten, then basically turned her loose outside. She's never really been socialized so she's very skittish, but hasn't lived anywhere but this one small enclave her whole life. She likely roams the neighborhood like outdoor cats do, but as far as we know she's only fed regularly by my boyfriend and his coworker. She's been fed the same meal like clockwork for years, but only one person has been able to pet her (the coworker pet her briefly, and only once).

The company changed ownership recently and for whatever reason they've decided to seal up this cat's enclave and block access to her feeding area - they plan on doing this next week. They also plan on doing major construction on the building over the summer, and we're afraid the cat would return to the enclave and get hurt somehow. We're already trying to reach out to rescues to try and rehome her, but as I mentioned this cat is semi-feral. We also live in a city with notoriously overcrowded shelters, and rescues in the area aren't looking to take in unfriendly adult cats right now (especially with kitten season coming up in a few months).

Right now we just want to make sure she's able to eat regularly, but would need to figure out a way to relocate her within the next couple months. What can we do on such short notice? We're really at a loss because no one's expressed interest in her, and we can't take her in ourselves (our cat is extremely aggressive to other cats and gets incredibly stressed around them). Please help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would reach out to vet offices, or better yet stop in and ask them about area farmers who may need a cat. You may print up some fliers explaining everything. It would have to stressed that this farmer or whoever would have to keep her confined for a few weeks until she gets used to the area. Then ask the shelters about borrowing, or purchase a live trap at one of the farm supply stores like Orschelns or Tractor Supply. Keep the trap not triggered until she gets used to having it around, the idea is to get her used to eating near it and then in it. We have on many radio stations around here a Swap Shop, or places where people go to buy and sell. You might check into your local stations and see if you could tell people around there her plight and that she needs a home badly. Many farm people listen to theses. Get on Facebook and see if anyone has any ideas, that covers a lot of people.
You will be blessed for trying to help her, my heart goes out to you. There are so many just like her that will get pushed out and no one would care. Please keep us posted, I hope you get many ideas here. Bless you......

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You might try Nextdoor as well. This will require a lot of networking and you might need an interim place for her if nothing turns up by the time that the construction starts. I understand what you are saying about bringing her to your house but you may need to find out if anyone has a spare room or has done this sort of things before who could give you a halfway house for her. I have never had a problem bringing a semi-feral inside into a room which is set up with a litter box and supplies.

I don't want to upset you, but years ago another woman and I maintained a feral colony in the parking lot of our work. The employers did not mind at all but eventually improvements came and construction and we had to evac the cats ourselves initially.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies - we started talking to people in the local rescue community but haven't found any solid leads yet. We'll try Nextdoor too - hopefully something comes of that. I was emailing rescues yesterday and my boyfriend was able to talk to one of them, but so far most people only seem able to help us trap her. We're also starting to think that she might do better in a home, since she seems pretty tame, just extremely skittish. I'm hoping one of the rescues will reach out to us soon, or that one of the neighbors in the area has been feeding her and wants to take her.