Help! Need To Introduce Kitten To Cat Today

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
My son and his family are evacuating Florida and arriving at my house with their dog and kitten today. My cat Indy has met the dog, Shadow, before, and "tolerated" him at a distance. Indy grew up in a cat shelter with 105 other cats, so he's met a lot of cats before. But the kitten, a Russian Blue of 4 months named Kiki, has basically been alone since they got her. She has seen their dog, but they are not friends yet.

My plan, which worked well last time they came (before kitten arrived), is to keep the dog in the guest room as much as possible, away from both cats. I'm hoping the cat and kitten will get along, and can share the rest of the house, but I need to know the best way to introduce them. Should we keep Kiki the kitten in her carrier for the introduction? Or maybe put her in the office by herself until Indy gets used to her smell, or what?

Need some quick advice, please!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put the kitten in the office, and the dog in the guest room. This will give resident cat and visitors time adjust to one another. When it comes to actual introductions of the cats do it gradually for short periods of time and see how they react.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msFriday

Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I also just read a suggestion online -- put the kitten in a large crate or cage, let her get used to it, then let the resident cat see her in the cage and approach if he want to. What do you think? We do have a large dog crate we could use...

We would keep the cage in the office...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a good way for them to meet but you can't of course keep the kitten in it for long periods of time, so if they don't take to one another immediately you still need a place for the kitten. And because of the kittens age I would be cautious about leaving them together right away. But of course if your cat takes a maternal interest in the little one right away it could be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msFriday

Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks -- we can always give the kitten free rein of the office, with the door closed. Indy will not be happy (he and I spend a lot of time in there), but he should be fine since I will be out in the living room with my family, not cooped up in the office. Thanks for your help!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad they are going to be safe ! Feel for everyone going through this hurricane !