Help! Need some advice....

kittyandcoco123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There

I am new here so hello everyone :)

Bit of back story for you. So about 8-9 months ago I started seeing these two cats in my close and they started to always come to me and it progressed from them coming to meet me outside my house on my bench(waiting for me everyday) to them coming in and even sleeping over. I don't feed them and every day there outside my back door at 630 am as this is the time I wake up and there there like clockwork every day. Anyway developed a real bond with the cats and they both really trust me, they will lay there for hours purring whilst I tickle their bellies and stroke them. I started to become concerned for their welfare somewhat as they both had not been neutered and I thought this was bad as one is a girl and the other a boy. Also noticed they have fleas and so on. Anyway was concerned the girl would get pregnant and she did - she has only just turned 1 and is a really small cat. She just gave birth to 4 kittens. Anyway the owner lives over the road and I spoke to her about it and she said there not her cats but her partners and he refuses to neuter them but wont give a good reason as to why not. Anyway they kept the girl In for two weeks as due to give birth, she escaped and the first thing she did was come to mine and didn't return home until they came to get her. I got speaking to the owners and basically negotiated and they have now given me the cats as they understand how much time they spend at my place and say the cats have clearly chosen me and want them to be happy etc. So as of yday I have the both ( the girl is feeding kittens for 8 weeks then will come to mine).

I am not sure what to do in regards to the boy. I started feeding him today and notified the old owner they no longer need to feed him but I am concerned the cat is going to be very confused as the owners are still over the road and he was coming in a lot anyway. I want to have him over to stay and he hasn't stayed over before only the girl. Im concerned if I keep him in all night he will be crying to go out and all sorts, how do I get him to understand we are not his full time home? Should I keep him in non stop for say 2 weeks?

I just don't know the right way to go about things. Any help would be much appreciated

thanks!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if you are getting the boy neutered, and you 100% need too or you risk him peeing all over your home, you will be keeping him in for a while anyway. The vets, especially US vets, are a little crazy with the cone for the 14 days, but it *is* surgery and it is not consistent with appropriate care to get them spayed/neutered and let them roam outside right away. I mean, maybe they do that in catch and release programs where there is no choice, but it would be for real risky. I would get both spayed/neutered asap, keep them in during the recovery period, and then make your decision as to whether they will resume being indoor/outdoor or indoor only.

Yes, there will be whining when they are kept inside. It is what it is, ultimately nothing for it but to ignore it.

You didn't mention what is happening with the kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyandcoco123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I kept him in last night for the first sleepover to get him used to it somewhat before I keep him in non stop for 2 weeks after his op so hopefully this will help. Using litter tray fine which is good. I guess I am just worried the cats will be confused as their old house/owner is over the road still will they still go there - mind you the owners said they used to only come to eat really and that would be it. Getting his op done next week and then the girl as soon as she stops feeding the kittens so another 7 weeks roughly - kittens there are 4 two are being rehomed and the chap is keeping two. Both girls though so concerning as he refuses to neuter them so I cant understand why he cannot grasp he is going to end up with 30 plus cats soon if he doesn't get them done. Some people are strange. He isn't caring for them properly no vaccines etc.

Also the boy that stayed in last night kept meowing at my bedroom door but I kept putting him back on my bed and stroking him then he went to sleep.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are making a very good start with the boy and it sounds as if he is willing to consider being a housecat. The situation with the unneutered female kittens is of huge concern but it is not directly your problem since you have just adopted two cats from these people and will obviously be giving them a better home.

Having said that, there is a pattern here and you will eventually be faced with more kittens unless this person comes to his senses. I would try to see if he can be persuaded or reasoned with, or possibly if you could take the ones he is keeping and rehome them yourself, or encourage him to find homes for them.

These people are often repeat offenders. I was soundly told off once for offering free spay/neuter vouchers to a family who lived near my workplace as they found the idea offensive and liked the idea of kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyandcoco123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I will keep him as a house cat solely more of a indoor and outdoor as he does love to go outside. His favourite thing to do is to lay in the sun when its hot. He has second night staying over last night. Meowed a bit but I kept putting him back on my bed with me and he would just go back to sleep. He is using his litter tray as well in the evenings as well as going outside so that's handy. In regards to the neighbour I know, its bittersweet as i said to myself I would do whatever it takes to save these two and I did but now there are kittens...4 of them and 3 are girls and he wants to keep two girls so the cycle will continue as he will let them out and plenty of un spayed cats where I live its frustrating. As he doesn't look after his cats. No vaccines, not keeping up with flea treatments and of course not spaying them. I also offered the voucher thing and got the same response likes the idea of kittens etc that's all well and good but why don't these people understand cats can produce up to 7 kittens and before you know it you have a few hundred cats on your hands once they all start multiplying. Its not on and the cats end up mistreated. He wasn't even feeding his two cats his ex gf who is still living with him was having to feed them and they weren't her cats. I spoke to another one of my neighbours who is a vet about him and said not much anyone can do apart from offer a voucher.Needs to be much more put in place to not just allow anyone to keep animals really isn't fair.