Help: Need High-fiber Food Suggestions

JYD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 year old cat had an anal gland abcess. It happened so fast, took her to the emergency room, it bursted, shots, etc, etc.

She seems ok now. Vet said to try a higher fiber diet. In recently months she's only had dry food: Royal Canin Calm. I used to feed her wet food a few days a week mixed with the dry food.

I'm now thinking I need to take the advice and increase the fiber content so her stools aren't as soft and can avoid this again. Her sister had the same issue a few months ago.

Any suggestions?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet if anal gland expressing would help prevent future anal gland issues. Some cats need a little help or the glands get blocked and infected or burst. You can do this at home. A second pair of hands may be needed to help hold the cat.

Diet might help but too firm stool can result in constipation. A fiber supplement might be better than a fiber heavy dry food. Canned 100% pumpkin puree often works. You can buy a can at the supermarket and portion it out into ice cube trays and freeze. Take a cube out as needed. Pet stores do sell pouches of pumpkin supplements but a large can from the supermarket costs less than a pouch.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, a pouch is a good way to see if the cat will eat it before you're stuck with a huge can of it. One tablespoonful per ten pounds of body weight once per day. If you go to the grocery store, make sure that the can you get is not pie filling, simply pumpkin puree.

weili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 year old cat had an anal gland abcess. It happened so fast, took her to the emergency room, it bursted, shots, etc, etc.

She seems ok now. Vet said to try a higher fiber diet. In recently months she's only had dry food: Royal Canin Calm. I used to feed her wet food a few days a week mixed with the dry food.

I'm now thinking I need to take the advice and increase the fiber content so her stools aren't as soft and can avoid this again. Her sister had the same issue a few months ago.

Any suggestions?
Try juicing and using the fiber from the juicer and mixed it up with tuna or a meatball recipe for cats.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Try juicing and using the fiber from the juicer and mixed it up with tuna or a meatball recipe for cats.
This is not a good idea.. not a balanced diet at all. Things that work for humans do not work for cats.

I'm with LTS3 LTS3 on the pumpkin idea. You would need to check with your vet, but I've been using slippery elm for hairballs and have found it helps immensely with their bowels as well.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Slippery Elm isn't going to help with anal gland troubles though. It coats everything, so if the cat has diarrhea or is vomiting, it will usually help stop it, but it isn't a fibre supplement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JYD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great feedback & learning for me, folks. Keep 'em coming!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Slippery Elm isn't going to help with anal gland troubles though. It coats everything, so if the cat has diarrhea or is vomiting, it will usually help stop it, but it isn't a fibre supplement.
I think it can. There are members who agree. :)