Help! My New Kitten Is Suddenly Afraid Of Me :*(

Shumakiso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got our new kitty a couple of weeks ago. We did a week of her in one room with scent swapping for our older cat. During that week I would play with her and when I came into the room she would be so excited and just roll over for belly scratches. The next week my wife and I did the full intro and after a day of our older cat setting rules, they are now bathing each other and playing. She started to explore the downstairs a few days ago and thats about the time that she suddenly seems scared of me. When I come home from work my old cat comes to me for pets but she bolts away. If I lie down on the floor she some times will slowly approach me for a hand smell but rarely lets me pet her or if she does it is very brief. But every time I see her now she kind of freaks and bolts at first. I’m so sad, I thought we had this love thing going and now she seems scared of me. Is this normal or is there something I can do to help?

She doesn’t seem scared of my wife, my wife does work from home though so she has more time with them. But her first 2 weeks with us upstairs she snuggled and came to me for pets all the time.

Also, we got cat diffusers and I dont know if it’s a coincidence but she started the whole afraid of me thing the next day after setting up the diffusers. But this is also when she started exploring the downstairs.

Could it be that she is just getting used to our large open 1st floor and is too nervous to deal with me?

Help! I have the most precious kitty and we had some real bonding going on and now I feel like I lost it all.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's still young isn't she?

Don't worry. Babies and kids go through fases. Even older cats need time to adjust to their new "parents" and house. Next week she will probably be all over you again.

The trick? Do not force it, let her always come to you. Bribing her with some treats helps too.

Patience and don't lose faith.