Help my neutered kitty

Tipbarker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat is about to be 11 months old. We just got him neutered yesterday and it was awful. He hated the car ride he meowed something like out of a horror movie and he also defecated on himself to and from the vet. Now he has this cone on and he seems terrified. He won’t get up to use the bathroom he won’t drink (so I’m giving water with a medicine syringe) he keeps freaking out and will dart across the house. He even ran about 4 feet up my wall yesterday. He won’t stop trying to pull it off and to top it off now his eyes both look like they have pink eye. He’s having a hard time. This cone is traumatizing him n I can see it. What can I do for my poor baby. Our other little 14 week old is completely fine. He’s been trying to play n run around wearing his cone like it’s a new outfit. But my other cat is non stop meow howling. Please any suggestions

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take the cone off. The safety it provides is not worth the trauma it's causing him. Then watch him in case he starts licking the sutures. He is terrified by everything that he's gone through.

Welcome to the Cat Site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tipbarker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Take the cone off. The safety it provides is not worth the trauma it's causing him. Then watch him in case he starts licking the sutures. He is terrified by everything that he's gone through.

Welcome to the Cat Site.
Thank you. And I just went and bought pet diapers and put it in him. Omg he was instantly relieved and was licking his paws and cleaning his face. The vet gave me bacitracin ointment for his eye and a pill antibiotic a week ago and said he has a upper respiratory infection. When he got neutered yesterday that vet said conjunctivitis and wanted to give him something else to put in his eye. I told her to hold off n see how this other meds work now his other eye keeps getting crusty and draining yucky stuff. My poor boy can’t catch a break. The meds they gave him on the first are for 10-14 days. Should I just stick with that or now that it’s spreading would you suggest getting the other eye drops instead. I never knew cats could get pink eye. I’ve had pets all my life but never had any colds or being fixed or anything at all so I don’t wanna seem like one of those who takes their cat to the vet if they sneeze or meow differently. Lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, most kitties hate cones. For males, it's not terribly important to keep them away from their stitches, and some vets don't even use stitches in males. Basically, as long as he doesn't have an infection and he isn't hurting himself (licking too much, biting the area, etc.), he's fine.

Tipbarker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, most kitties hate cones. For males, it's not terribly important to keep them away from their stitches, and some vets don't even use stitches in males. Basically, as long as he doesn't have an infection and he isn't hurting himself (licking too much, biting the area, etc.), he's fine.
he has tried to lick while having the cone on but ever sinceI put the diaper on him he spent 10 minutes bathing his front paws and face and has been asleep ever since. I’m thinking of taking the cone off the 14 week old as well. He hasn’t even been trying to lick himself. Knock on wood. But I will be home all weekend with them so I will be able to watch them like a hawk. Thank you cuz I felt like it wasn’t important as long as they weren’t licking but I wasn’t sure. And I don’t see any stitches on either one of them. They look really good. Not even any scabbing or anything

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cones usually aren't necessary for males. They can lick a normal amount to clean themselves. I wouldn't even put a diaper on him, the incision site needs air to heal properly.

Tipbarker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cones usually aren't necessary for males. They can lick a normal amount to clean themselves. I wouldn't even put a diaper on him, the incision site needs air to heal properly.
Yea we took the diapers off too. The baby doesn’t know how to walk with it on. We only put the diaper on when they were awake trying to lick but they slept allllll afternoon and haven’t tried to lick since they have been up