Help! My male cat is trying to rape his 6-weeks old daughter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I noticed that my male cat is trying to rape his 6-weeks old daughter! I always separate them when I’m not there, but he is even trying to do it when I’m in the same room and he thinks I’m not watching! I didn’t know such thing exists in cats! What should I do with this issue? Is the babygirl traumatised? Can she get pregnant or injured? I’m really worried about this horrible behaviour, never seen such thing before!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A male cat will try and mate with any female weather its his daughter or not. Has the male been castrated?
No, he hasn’t as he’s for breeding. But will a male also try and mate with a little kitten???

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She can't get pregnant yet. But he may hurt her. Tomcats often can't be trusted around kittens. Do you have separate tomcat quarters for him? Most breeders do, as they might want to give their females a break in between pregnancies, and also so that the tom doesn't spray all over the house.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, it's not rape so please do not use that term. Rape is about control and power.

Male cats are hard wired to mate. He's doing what comes naturally to any male animal and it's unfortunate that there is a small kitten nearby for him to take out his sexual energy on. You need to get him fixed right away or keep the kitten away from him all the time.

She can not yet get pregnant but it's not unheard of for kittens to become pregnant as early as 3-4 months old in some breeds. But, he certainly can harm her as he's much larger and she has not yet learned how to defend herself. It really is important to keep her safe at this point.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they can do and you need to be careful that he doesnt harm the kitten, you need to make sure that the male is kept away at all times, if you are not going to be getting him fixed
Thank you. I separated them today. He was always so peaceful towards his kittens and I’ve never seen an adult male mating a kitten before, it was my mistake I haven’t separated them earlier.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She can't get pregnant yet. But he may hurt her. Tomcats often can't be trusted around kittens. Do you have separate tomcat quarters for him? Most breeders do, as they might want to give their females a break in between pregnancies, and also so that the tom doesn't spray all over the house.
Yes I do have a separate space for him and I already separated them. My tomcat doesn’t spray at all (thanks God) and until today he was also really well behaved towards his kittens that’s why I didn’t separate them earlier.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, it's not rape so please do not use that term. Rape is about control and power.

Male cats are hard wired to mate. He's doing what comes naturally to any male animal and it's unfortunate that there is a small kitten nearby for him to take out his sexual energy on. You need to get him fixed right away or keep the kitten away from him all the time.

She can not yet get pregnant but it's not unheard of for kittens to become pregnant as early as 3-4 months old in some breeds. But, he certainly can harm her as he's much larger and she has not yet learned how to defend herself. It really is important to keep her safe at this point.
Thanks for your reply. I decided to keep them separated from today. I really hope my little cutie is not hurt and will not see him before she goes to her new home. Is there a way to tell whether she’s hurt? She looks fine but I noticed she started to hide a lot, looking around when she eats etc.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will mount others to show dominance as well so it may not be mating behavior but that. But I would still keep him separated from kittens to be honest. It's not the safest as tomcats will kill kittens. Are they purebred cats?

She is probably scared right now, so just give her time. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I really hope my little cutie is not hurt and will not see him before she goes to her new home. Is there a way to tell whether she’s hurt? She looks fine but I noticed she started to hide a lot, looking around when she eats etc.
At such a young age I think the kinds of injuries to look out for are puncture wounds to the back of the neck and crush fractures, if the male cat had her pinned down with all of his weight on her. As she's only six weeks old she's going to need to be with her mother for at least another six weeks before she can be re-homed, so this will give you time to observe her. If she's limping, has difficulty moving, eating, drinking or using the litter box call your vet. Keep her away from the male and give her time to forget about the trauma.

Has she had her first round of vaccines yet? If not, or when you take her for the second round, ask the vet to check her carefully for any bite marks.

Are you going to get her spayed before she is re-homed? What breed of cats do you have? Do you have a mentor for your breeding program? Your mentor will be able to give you some advice about housing your male cat safely.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats will mount others to show dominance as well so it may not be mating behavior but that. But I would still keep him separated from kittens to be honest. It's not the safest as tomcats will kill kittens. Are they purebred cats?

She is probably scared right now, so just give her time. :)
Thanks for letting me know, hopefully he was just showing dominance. They are purebred Persian cats. I've never had such an experience with this breed before, all my Persian cats have always been very quiet and peaceful, and this tomcat is otherwise very peaceful as well. I separated them yesterday.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At such a young age I think the kinds of injuries to look out for are puncture wounds to the back of the neck and crush fractures, if the male cat had her pinned down with all of his weight on her. As she's only six weeks old she's going to need to be with her mother for at least another six weeks before she can be re-homed, so this will give you time to observe her. If she's limping, has difficulty moving, eating, drinking or using the litter box call your vet. Keep her away from the male and give her time to forget about the trauma.

Has she had her first round of vaccines yet? If not, or when you take her for the second round, ask the vet to check her carefully for any bite marks.

Are you going to get her spayed before she is re-homed? What breed of cats do you have? Do you have a mentor for your breeding program? Your mentor will be able to give you some advice about housing your male cat safely.
Thank you for all the info and advices. I will observe her and check her with my vet when we go for their next round of vaccines. I also separated them yesterday. They are Persian cats. I am not sure what kind of mentor you are talking about, maybe there is no such thing is Australia. I can contact my breeding organisation for an advice if this is what you mean.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not sure what kind of mentor you are talking about, maybe there is no such thing is Australia. I can contact my breeding organisation for an advice if this is what you mean.
When most people start out as breeders the person they bought the original stud cat or queen from will usually offer support and advice. That's what I meant by a mentor.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.