help! my kitten threw up after her medicines was given

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 3 month old ginger tabby kitten, cherry got a fever today..she refused to it, so I fed her wet food by using syringe..and i gave her antibiotics and digyton (Himalaya) because she got diarrhea recently..but then after few minutes, she threw up almost all her wet food which probably include the medicines.. i was planning to fed her with midalac goat's milk as a substitution but I'm afraid that it'll worsen her diarrhea.. what should I do to bring her appetite back?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Threw up because nauseous . Call the doc. Are there certain times she's nauseous if he goes you cerenia take it hour before

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would probably be a good idea to ask the vet about giving your kitten anti-nausea medication (Cerenia is one type, as mentioned above) to see if that might be the cause. If you can get some unflavored Pedialyte (a hydrating beverage designed for infants) or something similar, you could mix the anti-nausea meds in with it and administer via a dropper. Just a small amount at a time until she has taken it all. The Pedialyte is also good for keeping your kitten hydrated, as both vomiting and diarrhea can cause dehydration. Once you've done that - also as mentioned above, wait a while and then use the most bland form of food you have for your kitten to mix with the antibiotics and Digyton. You may have to repeat the anti-nausea for many days until the other meds have had a chance to start to work.

If your kitten can't keep the ant-nausea medication down, or the subsequent food, you will need to take her to vet as they may need to administer IV fluids to help hydrate her and provide some basic nutrients.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you were syringe feeding her, is it possible you gave it to her too fast? The first time I syringe fed one of mine, I just pushed all of the food in pretty fast and it immediately all came right back out. The key to syringe feeding is to go very slowly, one tiny swallow at a time. Give them a chance to swallow the tiny bit, then give them a little bit more food. It takes quite a long time, but it's worth it if it stays in. So, it could either be nausea OR feeding too fast (or even too much).

As for feeding her goat's milk, that should be fine. Cow's milk can cause diarrhea, but not goat's milk. Not by itself. If the cat already has diarrhea, then anything going into their system can cause more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know though..i think i didn't do it too fast but maybe she didn't like that I kept forcing her to eat..what are other symptoms of nausea in cat? it doesn't look like nausea for me.. she can still play normally.. it's just her appetite..

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually when a cat starts turning their head away they're done. Don't force a lot on her at once, do a few mils then give her a 5 minute break then do a few more mils and another 5-10 minute break. This way her stomach isn't expanded quickly, which can cause vomiting/regurgitation. Considering she vomited after the meds perhaps one of them made her nauseous as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know though..i think i didn't do it too fast but maybe she didn't like that I kept forcing her to eat..what are other symptoms of nausea in cat? it doesn't look like nausea for me.. she can still play normally.. it's just her appetite..
Usually they will start licking their lips when they smell food. Also excessive drooling, excessive swallowing, even a hunched body position. If she is still playing like a normal crazy kitten, it's probably not nausea.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I received this email notification before this sites "black out" and posts were lost. I thought it was important enough to cut and paste it here.

mrsgreenjeens, Amni Alia replied to a thread you are watching at TheCatSite. help! my kitten threw up after her medicines was given

we visited the vet yesterday, it turned out that she's positive parvovirus so she was admitted .. and unfortunately she left us today.. I wish I could spend more time with her.. remembering cherry

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss :hugs: You have other cats don't you? What about them. Feline Parvo (aka Feline panleukopenia ) is highly contagious, albeit kittens are effected the worst. I"m hoping your other cats will be ok.

Rest in Peace, sweet little :rbheart: Cherry :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amni Alia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been almost a week. I'm still observing my other kittens that might be infected. Fortunately, so far they don't show any symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting or loss appetite. They seem fine and play like normal crazy kittens. But there's one thing that still concerns me.. one of my kittens, Luna often feels warmer than usual but it doesn't last long..it'll go and come back. Her appetite and poo are fine anyway.