Help.....my kitten is out of control!

januaryg31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my kitten for about 2 1/2 months now and he is currently 14 weeks old. Since we got him we have been trying to stop the following behavior problems:

1) biting
2) jumping on tables and counters
3) trying to eat our food everytime we sit down for dinner

We have tried time outs, spraying the water bottle, saying a stern NO, blowing in his face, shaking a can of pennies and redirecting his attention by playing with his toys. None of these things has even phased him. I would think that after 2 months he would at least get it that what he is doing is wrong but his behavior has not changed even a little bit. Does anyone have any advice on any other behavior techniques I can try? I don't want him to grow into an adult cat and continue to bite, jump on our counters and act like a scavenger every time we sit down to eat!

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
you got him when he was 4 weeks old? that's pretty early. he missed out on mommies socializingd most everything you are doing is negative. How much time during the day are you with him? he needs ALOT of attention. Has he been neutered yet? The biting should be handled right away, but jumping and playing and eating are what kittens do.

You can easily keep him from the room where you eat by using a scat can or a wall of crumpled aluminum foil (temporarily) I hope you have never fed him while at a meal because that's a very mixed message. My cats only gets food in two places: her food center in the kitchen and a few kibble treats from my nap while i am reading in bed. she has never jumped on the table or begged for food. It sounds like your cat needs to learn the meaning of no and good boy. so use those words alot immediately when appropriate and associate it with his name. He will get the hang of it. When your cat bites, stop moving your hand immediately and say No or a loud OUCH, he think she is playing. And never play with him with your hand, use something on a string or a rod so he doesn't associate your hand with play, just comfort and food.

But most importantly is time with your cat and building the bond. without the bond, little else will work. he has to view you as the parent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

januaryg31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I did get him very young, I was told he was older than he actually was and didn't find out his real age until I went to the vet. He has not been neutered yet but we plan to do that when he reaches 6months. I work during the day (and he has tons of toys to play with during that time) but I play with him for a few hours every night when I get home. I try to play with him as much as I can especially before bed to tire him out (which never works). I also never feed him table food because I want him to know that it's not ok to beg for food while we eat or to jump on the table and try to take the food off the dish if we get up from the table for a minute (which he does do). I'm not sure why he does that since he was never even fed table food. I also stop when he starts to bite and I tell him NO and don't continue to play with him until he calms down. I also tell him he's a good boy and give him lots of kisses when he is being good. I have had kittens before and I have never run into these issues with them. I don't feel as though we are constinantly being negative with him. He gets lots of love. Do some kittens just take a lot longer to get what NO means?

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Lord, did Tammy-Timmy get out and go over to your house? That sounds just like Tammy.

I concur with the NEEDS attention. He is such a baby. What does he do when you hold him and pet him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

januaryg31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He usually lets me hold him and pet him but if he's all hyped up he won't let me hold or pet him for too long before he starts to bite me. But when he feels like it he jumps up on my lap and lets me pet and kiss him. He is affectionate, but he is just extremely HYPER and its usually on his terms. If he doesn't feel like being pet he bites.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could try this: Pet him and love him, but when he starts hypering, put him in a room by himself. Same with eating. If he jumps up and wants your food or whatever, just calmly take hiim and put him in a room by himself. Not forever, just for a little while. I think he'll get the idea soon enough that if he wants to be with mommy, he needs to behave.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by januaryg31

He usually lets me hold him and pet him but if he's all hyped up he won't let me hold or pet him for too long before he starts to bite me. But when he feels like it he jumps up on my lap and lets me pet and kiss him. He is affectionate, but he is just extremely HYPER and its usually on his terms. If he doesn't feel like being pet he bites.
My kitty is now 7 months and was very much this way when I got him. He has really calmed down in the last couple months. I think you will have a much easier time when he is little older. He will probably be much more trainable too. Good luck!

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
januaryg: sounds like you simply have a dynamo of a kitty and you are doing all the right things, time will help. well let's hope. For the begging, I would put him in time out (locked room) everytime he tries to take your food and doesn't accept No.