HELP My kitten is missing fur on neck

deaththeKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth to her only baby on August 16th. I’ve kept both of them together in my backyard, in a cage (it’s spacious dw) so that she won’t get pregnant again (she’s getting spayed soon) in the mean time. But about less than a week ago I noticed the kitten was missing a bit of hair around his neck. I let my parents know but they assured me it was just because his mom was carrying him. But just this morning I went to go feed them and I saw that his neck was missing a lot more fur and he had weird scabs and yellow stuff. I cant afford to take him to the vet yet and my parents don’t even like my cats so I don’t know what to do. I applied neosporin but I want to know if i should take him to the vet or let him heal on his own. PLEASE HELP

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Bless you for looking after this kitten. I'm sorry your parents don't have the same love for cats that you do. Cats that live outdoors are more susceptible to parasites and other diseases. I really think he needs to be examined by a vet. I understand that you can't afford a vet but perhaps this Article might have some suggestions and advice to offer you:
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

I thought this Article about skin conditions in cats might also have some helpful information:
Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck, I sincerely hope you can convince your parents that the kitten needs help. Do you think they would read the Articles I mentioned above? Please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tell your parents that this is not just missing fur, but an open wound, and that he needs to be seen by a vet. Bless you, you are doing all you can for this little family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deaththeKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
GOOD NEWS. My eldest sister was able to help me pay the vet bill which was pretty costly for only a check up and antibiotics lol. but either way HES DOING GREAT!! thank you for the words of encouragement and for the advice. He’s reacting well to the medicine and seems to be in no pain. The wound healed and became a scab and recently just fell off. There’s no fur but he’s doing good :))

ps. i couldn’t take better pics cuz he’s a jumpy one hehehe

Attachments

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear he's doing so well. It'll take a while for the fur to grow back in the previously wounded area.