HELP: My kitten HATES me

DepressedCatOwner89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just brought my new 7-week-ish, 1.5 pound kitten home for the first time an hour ago. I put her in her room. And any time I come close to her she runs away... She was just sitting in my lap at the shelter. What gives? Will she always be this way?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, she is frightened of her new environment. Sit on the floor and let her come to you. It might take 2-3 days, so make sure she has food, water, and litter in the room to use. Get a stick toy with something to chase hanging from it. Eventually she will come out to play and begin to warm up to you. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats hate change. She's a baby in an entirely new place. Leave her alone for a day or two, then just quietly sit in her room and let her come to you. She'll warm up once she's used to everything.

Meat baby food (Gerber stage 2 chicken or turkey) on a long-handled spoon is a fine way to make a kitty friend :).

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything is strange to her, new surroundings, new person, smells. It will take a little time for her to become comfortable in her new home so be patient. Keep her in one room if you can with the essentials, food, water, litter and a few toys. Put an item of clothing that you have worn so she will get used to your smell. Leave her to settle then go and sit quietly in the room talking to her. Let her come to you don't force her, it will happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DepressedCatOwner89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old will she need to be before she can jump off and on a bed without hurting herself?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 7 weeks she is still a baby. Away from her mum too early. She needs some time to get used to her new surroundings and you. You will win her trust as she grows used to your presence. Talk to her quietly from a distance at first and then closer and closer. Ping pong balls are usually irresistible to kittens. Can you get some and throw them around first and then closer to you as she gets increasingly interested. She will soon realise YOU are providing her food and fun. She doesn't hate you, she just needs to feel safe. Before you know it she will love you.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have one, you might try putting a ticking clock in with your kitty. It mimics the sound of mama's heart and is soothing. A radio, set to a very low volume and a "talk" format station may work as an alternative to you sitting and talking to the kitten, if you don't have much time for that. Second the ping pong balls. Good for cats of all ages, and they're real cheap.