Help My Cat

wardell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off don't judge me. I posted this on a different site and they were very rude. I know I need to take my cat to the vet but I can't. I I lost my job ,car I can bearly keep the power and water on. I can't even take my self to the doctor. So please don't judge me and tell me im a bad pet owner I'm doing my best and now something is wrong with my cat. I hoping someone can give me some advice. My cat hid most of the time when my friend and his cat lived with me for a short time. When they moved out ,my cat went back to normal. But now she licking herself raw pulling out fur and sleeping in the litter box but pooping outside of it. It just started out of nowhere. I was giving her cuddles everyday then she just stopped. Her appetite and drinking are fine. Have have no money to take her to a vet and my heart is breaking is there anything I can do to help her?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No judgment here... But, I do have a few questions that might help paint a better picture, if you can provide answers. Thanks.

How old is she?
Is she an indoor/outdoor cat?
What parts of her body is she licking raw?
Does she move away from you when you try to pet her?
Have you changed foods or litter recently?
Does she still always pee in the litter box, but always poop outside of it?
Does she poop near the box, or in other locations, or both?
Are there particular times when she sleeps in the litter box?
Does she sleep anywhere else?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t see why people would judge you, you’re already doing something by looking for help.

Questions:
-is she spayed?
-where are you located? Some members will post a link to get free/cheap aid for cats in need (I don’t have the article). This is for USA only I think
-do you have a throwaway sweater you can cut up and make a temporary shirt for her? You need to stop her licking/biting asap.
-call a local vet, explain the situation and they might give you a free e-collar

If you provide your city I would be willing to help you call around as well. I am in Canada but have unlimited NA calling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wardell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off thank for not judgement :)
She is about 5 she is indoor only. I raised her from a baby when her mom left her at my door. It her whole body she making raw back, sides belly,head face,she just licks and scratches. There are not flea or bugs of any type on her. Her food is the same. She pees in the box but poops outside in front of it and I cleaned it out almost every day. And she sleeps in the box all day only comes out for food. She doesn't sly away from me or anything she wants to be petted but will not come out

wardell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in columbiana al, usa

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in columbiana al, usa
That’s one small place... I only see one or two vet clinics.

Do you have a way to get to a bigger city if none of these places can get you one?

Keep in mind the e-collar would just help with the licking and not solve the underlying problem.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my guess would be that she was super stressed around the other cat and still is. Maybe try to clean your space as much as possible to get rid of the smell of the other cat? Also, if you can afford the calming collar that might help her a lot.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you have a throwaway sweater you can cut up and make a temporary shirt for her? You need to stop her licking/biting asap.
Also, you can get a baby onesie that would fit her. Snap the crotch together and cut a hole in the part that would normally be on a baby's butt. Turn it around so that her tail sticks through the neck.

This is my Fennimore in his belly protector. You can see how I made it. He is a big boy at about 17 lbs and is wearing a size 24 months. As you can see, he hates it.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet clinic Shelbiana closes in 40 mins but I will try giving them a ring if you want (or you can if you want).

Shelbiana Animal Clinic
22708 Highway 25
205-669-7717

Is this close to you? Maybe if they say no to a free e-collar I could paypal them what it costs?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In the meantime, you could try chamomile tea (grocery store tea bags, no additives), brew it in water, cool the liquid, and use cotton balls to place it on all the itchy/raw places. The tea has both soothing and healing properties. Not a permanent solution, but perhaps a temporary way to relieve some of her aggravation.

wardell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she not Spayed they had a free thing here not that long a go but they would take her because of her condition
Do you have a picture of her? How long ago did your friend and the other cat move out? Cats who sleep in their litter boxes are typically very afraid and do so to feel safe surrounded by their own smells.
They moved out at the end of December. Even when the other cat was here she never slept in the box She did not care for the other cat more like just tolerated her. As soon as the other cat left my cat Dibley started to come back in the living room and would beg for cuddles then about a week ago she started hiding in the box

wardell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been putting No-rinse waterless shampoo one it's supposed to moisturize dry skin and relieved itchiness

wardell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my guess would be that she was super stressed around the other cat and still is. Maybe try to clean your space as much as possible to get rid of the smell of the other cat? Also, if you can afford the calming collar that might help her a lot.
I have calming spary

wardell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other cat is happy and healthy just saw her at the new place the other day

wardell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way what is an e collar ?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
By the way what is an e collar ?
It’s a cone that goes around her head when she would get spayed. In this case it would stop the biting/licking.

They close in 25 mins so let me know or it will need to wait until tomorrow and make a temporary shirt for her today...