Help!! My Cat Visciously Attacks Me!!

SamanthaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had Toby, our intact male cat, since he was born 1.5 years ago. We rescued he, his mom, and his siblings a day after she had given birth to them. Everyone else found a home once they were old enough, but we kept Toby. He's always been a little feisty, though, I would say he's usually just like any other cat. He's got his favorite hiding places, toys he loves, and occasionally bats at feet as we walk by. We've never had any true problems with aggression... until now.

As of about a week ago, Toby has taken to running into our room at full speed, coming to a stop by my side of the bed, and then jumping up and viciously attacking me in my sleep. Not just my feet under the covers or arms hanging off of the bed, either. He comes for my face and does NOT stop until my fiance wakes up and yells at him. Last night, he left me in tears.

He ONLY does this at night when we're sleeping. During the day, he's just as affectionate and sweet as he can be. When these episodes occur, he never hisses or growls. He just comes for me with his ears pinned and claws out and slashing. It's like he knows it's mean and doesn't want to wake my fiance while trying to get at me, but seriously just has it out for me.

This is the real kicker: my fiance wakes up and yells at him, and then Toby simply walks over to him and lays on his chest to fall asleep, perfectly content like nothing happened.

My behavior and disposition toward Toby has not changed since we brought him into this house at a day old. I treat him the same as I did then. We go through the same routines every day and he's sweet as sweet can be toward me during the day. He actually used to sleep on my pillow at night curled up right by my head without a problem.

I don't know what has changed or what to do. I do not have the money for a behaviorist but I have to get to the bottom of this because feeling so afraid in my own home is unacceptable. At this point I'm almost ready to find Toby a new home because I feel that I am in extreme danger here. It's only a matter of time before he really does get a hold of me and rip my face to shreds.

Can ANYONE help? What is going on here??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SamanthaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you neither him?
Yes, I will be calling the vet for an appointment as soon as Hurricane Florence is over (I live in a part of NC that is being majorly affected so no get services right now). Do you think that might solve the problem entirely?

SamanthaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I will be calling the vet for an appointment as soon as Hurricane Florence is over (I live in a part of NC that is being majorly affected so no get services right now). Do you think that might solve the problem entirely?
Meant to say "vet." Sorry

toaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it is definitely the first step. He’s full of hormones and will calm down significantly post-neuter.

After the surgery you can better assess his behavior.

Stay safe from the hurricane!

SamanthaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it is definitely the first step. He’s full of hormones and will calm down significantly post-neuter.

After the surgery you can better assess his behavior.

Stay safe from the hurricane!
Thank you. We're hunkered down and safe, thankfully. Also, any tips for dealing with the behavior in the meantime? I hate to say it, but I'm afraid to sleep!

toaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. We're hunkered down and safe, thankfully. Also, any tips for dealing with the behavior in the meantime? I hate to say it, but I'm afraid to sleep!
Can you close your bedroom door? I have a 4.5 month female kitten and from day 1 I’ve turned off the lights in the living area (her space) and gone into my bedroom and shut the door. I know your cat is a bit older so he might cry at first, but don’t respond at all and he will get used to sleeping away from you.

SamanthaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you close your bedroom door? I have a 4.5 month female kitten and from day 1 I’ve turned off the lights in the living area (her space) and gone into my bedroom and shut the door. I know your cat is a bit older so he might cry at first, but don’t respond at all and he will get used to sleeping away from you.
Yes, we can close the door. The only problem is that he yowels and scratches at it until it's opened again, which keeps us awake all night. Might just have to deal with it for a while though

SamanthaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, we can close the door. The only problem is that he yowels and scratches at it until it's opened again, which keeps us awake all night. Might just have to deal with it for a while though
I should add also that we rent and haven't done this so far due to wanting to keep our security deposit when we move out

toaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep. It’s all about changing the behavior. If he knows you won’t open the door and let him in, he will eventually stop scratching. You can also order a scat mat from amazon or chewy and place it outside the door. That will prevent him from getting close enough to scratch.

SamanthaB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep. It’s all about changing the behavior. If he knows you won’t open the door and let him in, he will eventually stop scratching. You can also order a scat mat from amazon or chewy and place it outside the door. That will prevent him from getting close enough to scratch.
I am unfamiliar with scat mats, but will give it a go anyway. Truthfully, I am rather inexperienced with cats (which is probably part of my problem) altogether, but when Tobys mom brought us to her kittens we had to try to help them. Cats were never in the stars for me as I am truly more of a dog person. I figured they'd be similar to dogs. I was WRONG! Lol. Thank you for the advice. Looking up scat mats now :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he really needs to be neutered. Be aware that the hormones can take about a month to leave his body, though. In the meantime, you'll want to retrain his night behavior and also stop yelling at him. He wants attention from your fiance, clearly, even if it's negative. Perhaps your fiance can be the one to take the lead and to pick him up, put him on the floor, and ignore him if there is an issue during the day. During the night, close him in another room with everything he needs so he can't get to your door.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your bedroom door is wooden and not painted the scratches can be repaired. At least I've always managed it by spreading mayonnaise cheap will do, on the scratches and letting is sit over night. This also worked for the deeper wider scratches that the puppy put in the doors. It may save you destruction deposit, it certainly saved a few of mine.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone on the neutering. Because it's at night and sudden I wonder if it is also redirected aggression from something he saw through a window.

Is your side of the bed closest to the door? Try changing sides if you can't keep the door closed.

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that he definitely should be neutered, and scat mats work great to keep him away from the door. You cannot let him in your room if he is attacking you. I’ve had cats who do that, and they don’t appear to have any logical reason.

I do wonder, if the consequences of his behavior are being reinforced. Your fiancé yells at him, but then he lets him on his chest. Maybe he thinks it’s all part of the plan to get to the chest. It’s hard to know, without knowing the function, or reason your cat is attacking you, but sometimes we reinforce negative behavior, without realizing we are doing it.