Help! My cat viciously attacked me last night!!!

stacci powers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmmmm...you mentioned trash. I bet he smelled another cat on that trash that he did not like and now he has transferred that aggression to you. You should read my post. Similar.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has tremors in his back feet/legs, but only when he is lying on his back (like on my lap for belly rubs).  My vet wasn't concerned since he has no other neuro symptoms or signs of disease that could cause it, but told me it could either be his position, a spinal issue, pinched nerve, etc., especially at his age.  The first thing he checked was his blood sugar, because he said diabetic cats often have tremors.  I'm sure somewhere you've posted that she has, but has Cissy had a complete workup with blood labs done?  Diabetes also affects behavior.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Could the tremmors you saw be like when a cat is dreaming and their front or back paws twitch or move?  Or was it much faster than that?

Last edited:

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My cat has tremors in his back feet/legs, but only when he is lying on his back (like on my lap for belly rubs).  My vet wasn't concerned since he has no other neuro symptoms or signs of disease that could cause it, but told me it could either be his position, a spinal issue, pinched nerve, etc., especially at his age.  The first thing he checked was his blood sugar, because he said diabetic cats often have tremors.  I'm sure somewhere you've posted that she has, but has Cissy had a complete workup with blood labs done?  Diabetes also affects behavior.
No, she has not had a CBC, but she is sure due for one!  I have read where diabetes does affect their behavior. I never knew this until a few days ago.  Another thing I have noticed is that since she began the med, she isn't eating nearly as much. I used to refill her bowl daily, but I haven't done that in days. In fact, I probably need to toss it and give her some fresh. At first she seemed to be drinking a lot more water, too, but not now.  She was about half a pound over her desired weight, so it's good that she has cut back. 

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Could the tremmors you saw be like when a cat is dreaming and their front or back paws twitch or move?  Or was it much faster than that?
It wasn't the dream twitching; it was a tremor.  I have only seen her feet do that twice.  It is very pronounced, but both times, she stopped when I touched her....but then began again. Both times she was on her back. She curls her paws up, too.  I don't think that is unusual, though.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
@karenrhyne   I definitely think she needs a full check up with complete lab work, even if you or a behaviorist do figure out a psychological trigger.  It never hurts and can at least rule out physical or metabolic issues.

Wurp's tremors are fast trembling of his back paws when he is lying on his back, or when he is leaned up curled over to wash his belly, they just tremble like a person with Parkinson's hands would do.  His head has done it as well, just a slight head tremor while he was sitting looking at me directly--that is what REALLY got me concerned and running to the vet.  I even asked the vet if cats could get Parkinson's disease.  He doesn't act like it bothers him at all, he will just be washing away at his belly with his paws trembling.  It stops immediately when he leans over a different way or if I touch them.  I was so worried that I took him twice within 3 months to get a full blood panel done (even though it was $200 a pop) just to ease my mind, and got a 2nd opinion from another vet.  Both said he was good and probably he does have a neuro issue but not much can be done about it, so I'm just trying to accept he is getting older.  It's an odd thing to see though.  I'm just glad it's nothing that causes him pain--or at least he acts like he doesn't even know it's going on.

7koolkats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my cat for 5 years now & have had cats all my life. This has NEVER happened to me before & I don't know what to do. Rugger is normally a very very affectionate, lovey cat but last night he attacked me. He attached himself to my leg, scratched me in 8 places enough to bleed profusely and bit my calf & punctured the skin in 4 places, very deeply. I was bleeding all over the place & completely freaked out.

The only reasons I can think of: we have been getting my house ready for an appraisal for the past week & have been cleaning, painting & rearranging. We normally don't spend much time on the 3rd floor but I went up there last night to straighten up & mop the floor. The first time I went in there, Rugger followed me in & as I bent down, hissed and growled at me! That has never happened before and I thought it was odd, but just figured he was freaked out & went about my business. About an hour later, I went back into that room in order to mop the floor. Rugger again followed me in there and just as I began mopping, he attacked me! I screamed and he ran away and hid as I bled all over the place.

He is a neutered male so obviously there aren't any kittens there... what happened? What should I do? Do I need to eake him to the vet? Or should I have him put down? Should I give him away???? I still love the little stinker but now I don't trust him either. About an hour after the attacke, he was completely normal & wanted to sleep with us. I locked him out because I was too shaken, but this morning he was completely normal, rubbing against me, sitting in my lap purring, etc etc...

Can someone help me?????

7koolkats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my cat for 5 years now & have had cats all my life. This has NEVER happened to me before & I don't know what to do. Rugger is normally a very very affectionate, lovey cat but last night he attacked me. He attached himself to my leg, scratched me in 8 places enough to bleed profusely and bit my calf & punctured the skin in 4 places, very deeply. I was bleeding all over the place & completely freaked out.

The only reasons I can think of: we have been getting my house ready for an appraisal for the past week & have been cleaning, painting & rearranging. We normally don't spend much time on the 3rd floor but I went up there last night to straighten up & mop the floor. The first time I went in there, Rugger followed me in & as I bent down, hissed and growled at me! That has never happened before and I thought it was odd, but just figured he was freaked out & went about my business. About an hour later, I went back into that room in order to mop the floor. Rugger again followed me in there and just as I began mopping, he attacked me! I screamed and he ran away and hid as I bled all over the place.

He is a neutered male so obviously there aren't any kittens there... what happened? What should I do? Do I need to eake him to the vet? Or should I have him put down? Should I give him away???? I still love the little stinker but now I don't trust him either. About an hour after the attacke, he was completely normal & wanted to sleep with us. I locked him out because I was too shaken, but this morning he was completely normal, rubbing against me, sitting in my lap purring, etc etc...

Can someone help me?????
Perhaps you were so busy and he wanted to get your attention. Perhaps a little bit more attention and one on one time would help. I know my little cats act up to change and me being too busy.

stacci powers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sounds similar to what my cat did. There may be a smell in that room of another cat and he may be transferring his aggression to you from the scent of that cat. Did you notice him sniffing anything? My cat freaked out over a broom I brought in from outside once.

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

@karenrhyne   I definitely think she needs a full check up with complete lab work, even if you or a behaviorist do figure out a psychological trigger.  It never hurts and can at least rule out physical or metabolic issues.

Wurp's tremors are fast trembling of his back paws when he is lying on his back, or when he is leaned up curled over to wash his belly, they just tremble like a person with Parkinson's hands would do.  His head has done it as well, just a slight head tremor while he was sitting looking at me directly--that is what REALLY got me concerned and running to the vet.  I even asked the vet if cats could get Parkinson's disease.  He doesn't act like it bothers him at all, he will just be washing away at his belly with his paws trembling.  It stops immediately when he leans over a different way or if I touch them.  I was so worried that I took him twice within 3 months to get a full blood panel done (even though it was $200 a pop) just to ease my mind, and got a 2nd opinion from another vet.  Both said he was good and probably he does have a neuro issue but not much can be done about it, so I'm just trying to accept he is getting older.  It's an odd thing to see though.  I'm just glad it's nothing that causes him pain--or at least he acts like he doesn't even know it's going on.
Years ago, my soulmate (Wuss, now at Rainbow Bridge) had head tremors. She sort of acted like she was in a daze whenever it would happen.  The vet did a ton of test, and said she had a potassium deficiency. She took medication until I had to send her to the Bridge at 19. She never had those tremors again, but at first, I thought the vet was wrong.

I feel sure Cissy has a nervous system issue.  The vet said it was hard to find, unless I took her to a clinic about 50 miles from here. He also said it would be unusual if there was a treatment.  I am not planning to make her go through all of that, but I am going to have him do a CBC on her.  Her liver values definitely need checked.

I have never heard of the name "Wurp" and I like it.  I think my "Wuss" had was a unique name as well, but for some reason, everyone always referred to her as a he.

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cannot find the old thread concerning the attack, but I wanted to post an update.  Cissy is much more calm now, but of course I am still very careful with her. I pay intense attention to a slightest flick of an ear whenever I am petting or rubbing her. She can become over-stimulated in a second. Her blood work was good, and she continues to take 1/2 (twice daily) of the Penobarbital.  She has her first 3 year rabies vaccine today, and has been rather puny all evening. Sequel had other vaccine boosters and he is acting puny as well.  I hope they will both be perky tomorrow!!  

Karen

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I think this might be the thread you're looking for:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/5379/help-my-cat-viciously-attacked-me-last-night  Your first post is number #22 on Sept 15, 2016.

I'm glad the phenobarbital is helping.  I only skimmed the earlier thread but Cissy really was putting you through the ringer.  It's to your credit that you worked so hard with her. 
  I hope she continues to mellow out with age. 

2tatocatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for being such a loving and devoted kitty mom

catmomma22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - The same thing happened to me. My bottle baby at 2.5 years of age went bananas. I accidentally set the stove on fire and screamed. The cat turned to run and the dog was in his way. He went after the dog and attacked her until she retreated to her crate and I closed her in. (She is a pit bull - ha!) Then I hid in the bathroom until the cat calmed down. A few nights later, he was sitting on me in bed. I went into the bathroom with my teenaged daughter to look for something in the closet. I dropped something on the floor and the next thing the cat was on my leg clawing and scratching and biting. I started screamed and he chased us into a corner of the bathroom. My husband rescued us with a towel. The cat calmed down after a half hour but then stalked and attacked me again, screaming and yowling. We took him to the vet and had a complete workup done. Nothing was wrong so we sequestered him for about a month and put him on prozac. We gradually reintroduced him to the family and everything was fine for 9 months. During that time we weaned him off the prozac. Shortly after having a housefull of guests for a week, he attacked my husband in the same bathroom, after my husband dropped something and made a loud noise. Another month of private living for the cat in the playroom and back on prozac which he is staying on for the rest of his natural life. Its been over a year since the last attack. No one in the family except for me feels comfortable around him and they either put him in the basement or outside when they are home. He likes it outside but not the winter which is a problem because we live in Vermont. I had to promise my family that if he attacks anyone again I will get rid of him. He would make a good farm cat since he is a great mouser but he likes the company of people and does not like the cold. Also, he is on a special diet due to bladder issues so I am afraid if I make him a barn cat, he will get an infection and suffer.

My daughter (who is the most afraid of him) leaves for college in a year and a half, so I hope nothing happens before then. 

Anyway, I still love the little shithead. Aside from the few times he went crazy, he is the nicest cat I ever had. He is 4 now.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi - The same thing happened to me. . . .   The cat calmed down after a half hour but then stalked and attacked me again, screaming and yowling. We took him to the vet and had a complete workup done. Nothing was wrong so we sequestered him for about a month and put him on prozac. We gradually reintroduced him to the family and everything was fine for 9 months. During that time we weaned him off the prozac. Shortly after having a housefull of guests for a week, he attacked my husband in the same bathroom, after my husband dropped something and made a loud noise. Another month of private living for the cat in the playroom and back on prozac which he is staying on for the rest of his natural life. . . .

Anyway, I still love the little . . . .   Aside from the few times he went crazy, he is the nicest cat I ever had. He is 4 now.
You might be interested to know that there are natural + effective treatments for anxiety & aggression in pet cats.

This article is by a Conventional -&- Holistic Veterinarian (Karen Becker, DVM) :

Story at-a-glance

• In recent years there has been a disturbing increase in the use of anti-anxiety drugs in indoor cats
  • Antidepressants that affect serotonin levels in kitties are causing an uptick in a condition known as serotonin syndrome
  • There are many very safe, non-toxic, and effective steps you can take to dramatically reduce the stress and anxiety of your cat.

"Serotonin Syndrome in Cats Can Be Fatal If Not Caught Immediately"

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/02/04/serotonin-syndrome-cats.aspx

It warns not to use both pharmaceuticals & natural supplements which both have an effect on the seratonin levels.

I often use Tryptophan to help me sleep, but have also used it on my pets at specifically anxious times of their lives, and found it to be very effective!

"Tryptophan, commonly known as Nutricalm[emoji]174[/emoji], is primarily used to decrease aggression and stabilize mood for dogs and cats.

L-tryptophan is a large neutral amino acid that is an essential dietary constituent for dogs and cats. . . ."

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/tryptophan-nutricalm

http://www.nutravet.co.uk/nutracalm

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Years ago, my soulmate (Wuss, now at Rainbow Bridge) had head tremors. She sort of acted like she was in a daze whenever it would happen.  The vet did a ton of test, and said she had a potassium deficiency. She took medication until I had to send her to the Bridge at 19. She never had those tremors again, but at first, I thought the vet was wrong.

I feel sure Cissy has a nervous system issue.  The vet said it was hard to find, unless I took her to a clinic about 50 miles from here. He also said it would be unusual if there was a treatment.  I am not planning to make her go through all of that, but I am going to have him do a CBC on her.  Her liver values definitely need checked.

I have never heard of the name "Wurp" and I like it.  I think my "Wuss" had was a unique name as well, but for some reason, everyone always referred to 

Hi - The same thing happened to me. My bottle baby at 2.5 years of age went bananas. I accidentally set the stove on fire and screamed. The cat turned to run and the dog was in his way. He went after the dog and attacked her until she retreated to her crate and I closed her in. (She is a pit bull - ha!) Then I hid in the bathroom until the cat calmed down. A few nights later, he was sitting on me in bed. I went into the bathroom with my teenaged daughter to look for something in the closet. I dropped something on the floor and the next thing the cat was on my leg clawing and scratching and biting. I started screamed and he chased us into a corner of the bathroom. My husband rescued us with a towel. The cat calmed down after a half hour but then stalked and attacked me again, screaming and yowling. We took him to the vet and had a complete workup done. Nothing was wrong so we sequestered him for about a month and put him on prozac. We gradually reintroduced him to the family and everything was fine for 9 months. During that time we weaned him off the prozac. Shortly after having a housefull of guests for a week, he attacked my husband in the same bathroom, after my husband dropped something and made a loud noise. Another month of private living for the cat in the playroom and back on prozac which he is staying on for the rest of his natural life. Its been over a year since the last attack. No one in the family except for me feels comfortable around him and they either put him in the basement or outside when they are home. He likes it outside but not the winter which is a problem because we live in Vermont. I had to promise my family that if he attacks anyone again I will get rid of him. He would make a good farm cat since he is a great mouser but he likes the company of people and does not like the cold. Also, he is on a special diet due to bladder issues so I am afraid if I make him a barn cat, he will get an infection and suffer.

My daughter (who is the most afraid of him) leaves for college in a year and a half, so I hope nothing happens before then. 

Anyway, I still love the little shithead. Aside from the few times he went crazy, he is the nicest cat I ever had. He is 4 now.
Cissy is the sweetest cat I've ever been owned by.  I do know that she will need to be monitored as long as she is on the drug.  What I don't understand is that the animal control guy who came to the hospital after she attacked me, said this was common!  I asked him if he meant in seemingly calm house cats and he said yes!  I have been around cats and "cat people" for many years, and I have never heard of this but 2 other times, and I read about both incidences here.  I don't know whether I believe him or not. 

Cissy still acts crazy sometimes.  Her eyes get HUGE and she will turn over on her back and swing her legs back and forth really fast, an then run all over the house as fast as she can, jumping over things and knocking into things.  But she only does this maybe a couple of times a day, whereas she used to do it all the time. She has to have blood work again soon, to make sure her levels are ok. I know she shouldn't stay on this med forever, and I am looking into some homeopathic treatments, but she still scares me at times!

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You might be interested to know that there are natural + effective treatments for anxiety & aggression in pet cats.

This article is by a Conventional -&- Holistic Veterinarian (Karen Becker, DVM) :

Story at-a-glance

• In recent years there has been a disturbing increase in the use of anti-anxiety drugs in indoor cats
  • Antidepressants that affect serotonin levels in kitties are causing an uptick in a condition known as serotonin syndrome
  • There are many very safe, non-toxic, and effective steps you can take to dramatically reduce the stress and anxiety of your cat.

"Serotonin Syndrome in Cats Can Be Fatal If Not Caught Immediately"

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/02/04/serotonin-syndrome-cats.aspx

It warns not to use both pharmaceuticals & natural supplements which both have an effect on the seratonin levels.

I often use Tryptophan to help me sleep, but have also used it on my pets at specifically anxious times of their lives, and found it to be very effective!

"Tryptophan, commonly known as Nutricalm[emoji]174[/emoji], is primarily used to decrease aggression and stabilize mood for dogs and cats.

L-tryptophan is a large neutral amino acid that is an essential dietary constituent for dogs and cats. . . ."

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/tryptophan-nutricalm

http://www.nutravet.co.uk/nutracalm
I have been reading about this and signed up for the newsletter.

DaniellePadilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a indoor cat. 3 years old and has never been aggressive. she doesn't like animals, has never been outside and is scared of kids. other then her hating kiss she is an amazing loving cat. 3 weeks ago my mom smelled a strong smell. she and my boyfriend found a dead rat in attic in s trap and ran to the livingroom screaming. my cat got scared and redirected her aggression towards my mom and attacked her. my mom pushed her off and my cat attacked viciously causing my mom to bleed everywhere. after that she hisses, growls and charges at my boyfriend and my mom when she sees it hears them. I kept her separated for days and got her fixed. I also used calming collar and sprays. she has been back to her old self and cuddles with my mom and boyfriend. if my mom is drunk my cat will growl and get scared still. but today was a crazy day. I was cleaning her litter and a black spider came out. I got freaked out and said oh my god oh my God. then boom my cat turned into a demon cat and started growling then attacked me viciously. I read that when your cat attacks u shouldn't move and stay calm so I did that but my cat kept attacking I had to start protecting myself. I grabbed her by neck but she went more crazy and I seen a robe and covered her. she was still attacking me and finally ran into my mom's room. I can't have a cat

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have found my cat gets very aggressive when her hips are hurting her. It started when I noticed she was having a hard time jumping up to get to her food. I ordered her Cosequin and in the few days waiting for delivery, she got very aggressive. If I walked by while she was laying on the floor she would hiss and lunge at my legs. Because of the pain, a swift tap on the butt was all it took to get her to detach. She would do the same if I went to sit on my bed while she was on it. The moment I sat down her ears would flatten and her tail would swish, then she would go for the nearest arm, or a couple times she went for my stomach. Thankfully, my love of throw pillows means I always have an object at hand to use to shove her way. Her aggression also extended to the dog to the point where he was scared to come on the bed and wouldn't go within 10 feet of her. He didn't even want to come in the room when she would sit on my dresser with a swishing tail giving everyone the evil eye. After using the Cosequin for a couple weeks she went back to being the nice kitty that I grew up with and have had since the day she was born. Now if I ever miss a few doses of Cosequin I'm quickly reminded when she becomes aggressive. I feel lucky knowing exactly what causes her aggression.