Help! My cat viciously attacked me last night!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut: I believe a cat feels safe and secure when she is at home with her "Mom."  Do you propose "cat psychotherapy" for her if the meds do not work????? The human needs protection just as the cat does. In this case the owner is looking out for her cat and I believe she deserves to be a "cat Mom" , but she does not deserve to be bitten and I know only too well how painful a cat bite is. The cat also deserves to be with someone who loves her and will take great care of her, and if she suffers very short-term for a general picture of years of mutual happiness, and there is no other way to achieve that, it's definitely a solution to biting, clawing, or hurting her Mom in any way and we already know that her Mom wants the best for her kitty so I am sure she will make the decision she feels best about, whatever that may be. Everyone is entitled to her opinion but the Cat Mom will make the decision and Karen, I am happy to talk with you which is how this began, but I am no longer checking the other updates on this site (about this subject) after today since there is nothing else to say about it to anyone else.
There are long term psychological and physical damages to declawing and pulling all teeth. I think if a cat is suffering and there is nothing to be done then it should be put to sleep.

I deeply hope that they can find a medical solution here that does not involve putting a bandaid in the form of mutilation on this poor cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phenobarbital is for seizure disorders. If the vet really thinks it's behavioral, she should be getting an anti-anxiety drug, something like Prozac or Xanax, not a seizure med :dk:. Sometimes you have to try a few anti-anxiety meds to find the right one. If your current vet isn't willing to listen or try new things, definitely don't hesitate to seek a second or third opinion.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your negative experience!  I can only imagine how hard that must have been for you!

Cats who had to grow up without the discipline they normally receive from their mom & litter-mates often do have behavior problems.  That may be the basis for what happened with your cat ... and you leaving him for that period of time may be what triggered that underlying behavior tendency to 'erupt'. 

"Feline Aggression: When Fluffy Attacks," is an online article written by, Karen Becker DVM, who trained in both Conventional & Holistic animal health care.  You might want to read the comment one of her reader's shared: "A story about overcoming cat aggression."  They suspect their problem cat was taken early from his mother & litter-mates, so didn't get the kind of discipline needed from its family on how to behave ... and he ended up attacking their elderly cat, & the owner regularly.  She shares the methods they used to calm him down.  (The article shares more about that.)

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

@Mani  of course! The reason why I wrote what I wrote was out of support, not criticism.. I apologize if it might seem that way!

What I meant by "making decisions without her", was mainly about the declawing/dental options. Had I not seen that @karenrhyne  is really trying to solve this, I wouldn't even bother to give any advice or opinion..

It's just that the declawing/dental issues can indeed create a multitude of problems and I had to stress that it is not to the cat's benefit.

@karenrhyne  I truly apologize if I seemed like criticizing or "judging" in a negative way! Trust me, I wasn't! We are all here to help and enlighten you (and everyone else) based on our own experiences 

No offense taken.  I know everyone is just trying to help, and I appreciate it!

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Animals are super sensitive to everything around them, especially cats. You may all think I am crazy for what I am about to say but here goes. We have had 2 dogs and 2 cats in the last 20 years, while raising 5 children. In November of 2004 our 18 year old daughter was killed in an auto accident, after that our dogs would get really strange sometimes. They would be playinf and wrestling and all of the sudden they would just stop and both would just stare at the same spot in the room. Now during this time there were times I was sure I felt my daughter almost physically touch me, I do believe there are things beyond our compression around us. One of our dogs developed arthritis so bad that we finally had to make the decision. Our other dog continued on and we adopted a cat for my mother in law. The cat found places that it absolutely would not go near and would also just stop what it was doing and stare at the same spot as the dogs. Second dog also developed arthritis severe and finally had to be put down due to pain. Then we adopted the second cat. Cats got along, but they would both stop and stare at the same spot at different times. They see and sense on a whole different plane than we do. Sometimes when renovating a house things might be disturbed, chech the history of the houses along with the medical side of things.

And with the pills, if you couldn't cut them and the pharmacy couldn't cut them equally, your cat is not getting a steady dose. Have you ever taken meds that have to stay in your system to help with pain or depression? If you miss a dose it screws up your system. Your vet needs to understand that she is not gepping a steady dose and either write for the exact dose in pill form or give you liquid. I have had doctors write scripts for me and say, take half a pill. Great, the med only comes in a capsule. Get other opinions, and if necessary change vets.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you are able to find a solution and keep your baby.
Oh, I could write a book about how super sensitive animals are. I have said for years, we will never know how intelligent they really are, and it's probably a GOOD thing that we don't understand some of the things they see that we don't see.  They do have extra senses and we would probably be scared if we knew some of the things they knew.  It can seem creepy at times, especially when they start staring at something.  I am sure you have heard about the cat who knows when someone is going to die.  I believe there are probably many more cats (as well as other animals) who can sense this.  Humans are using dogs to sniff out certain cancers.  God created them just like he did us, and they have purpose.

My big beef with my vet is the uneven dosages. He says the liquid taste bad, but once it's down her throat, I doubt if she could spit it out.  I spoke with 2 other vets. One of them suggested 1/4 of a Tramadol with 1/2 of a benadryl.  He obviously feels she is in pain. I am happy to report that for now, she is better!! Maybe it has taken this long for the med to have gotten into her system....even though the doses are not exact. For the past 2 days, she has been almost a purrfect cat. Only a few very short rampages. She still jumps on my night stand and knocks things to the floor when she wants me to wake up.  I ended up crating her around 3am yesterday, for about 2 hours. I did sleep some, but finally let her out when her meowing got loud. After that, she did not jump up there again!  I wish I knew of something I could put there to make her stop. Has anyone had any experience with sticky paws?  I am not sure how that would work, because I have things there that I need to be there. I used to keep a lot of things there, before she started jumping there....but I can't move my alarm clock, lamp, etc. 

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Karen, it is a shame that the liquid form may not be a great option. I am also a little concerned that your cat is falling and not on her feet, but this is a situation in which one has to choose the lesser of the evils in order to get a long-term solution. Please keep me posted because I am concerned. Although I am not checking for others' posts about this subject any longer, I will read yours. Thanks.
She hasn't fallen as much. What seems strange to me is that if something grabs her attention (like this am, a bird pecked on a window) she will leap on to high places and never miss and never fall, but if she's just jumping up on the bed or desk, she will sometimes not jump high enough.

I purchased some calming spray at Petsmart tonight, but I have not used it yet. It is not Feliway.  I am not sure about the diffusers, since it would seem I would need them in more than one room.

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cannot find the post I want to reply to, but to whomever suggested I make a video and send it to a cat behaviorist....I might do that!  Excellent idea. Someone else suggested I send one to the Cat From Hell show. I have never seen it because it comes on cable, but I have heard all about it.  I am praying that Cissy's better behavior continues.  

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I posted the link where you can get on their show. The behaviorist comes to your house & helps you with the problem. Why not try it? The worst they will say is you can't be on the show, then you can spend the money for a behaviorist in your area.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I cannot find the post I want to reply to, but to whomever suggested I make a video and send it to a cat behaviorist....I might do that!  Excellent idea. Someone else suggested I send one to the Cat From Hell show. I have never seen it because it comes on cable, but I have heard all about it.  I am praying that Cissy's better behavior continues.  
@karenrhyne  I wrote it here:

Take my word for it @karenrhyne  it IS well worth it. I had a really disturbing incident a year ago, with my Grizzly.. He attacked my mother so viciously, she had to go to the hospital and her wounds were being treated for months, because the ignorant doctros stiched them, instead of treating them to drain.. We went through hell.. Honestly, I can totally relate to what you're going through. The fear, the anxiety, the panic.. all of that.

I was not in a good financial state when it happened, but still I hired a behaviorist. Mind you, here in Greece, there is only ONE behaviorist.. I was lucky enough he exercises his occupation in the same city I live.
I hired him, in spite of all the expense, he cut me a deal, due to my unemployment and we got to work. I will never ever ever regret hiring him. He helped us a great deal.. It was a slow process but we got to keep Grizzly with us and we managed to learn how to handle him from scratch. He is so much better now. We gave him meds to calm him down, but it was not for long, because he would "detect" the pills by smelling them in ANYTHING i put them in! 
 That was hillarious, to be honest! So, I got down to mainly work with him. I stopped the meds, as it was a truly stressful process for both him and me and it ended up not helping.

Now, my cat's aggression was solved with the help of a behaviorist. It is just one case. We don't know if it is the same case with your cat. BUT a behaviorist can identify some traits of your cat, to conclude more safely whether this is a medical issue, or a bevioral issue.. 

My recommendation would be to take some videos of your cat while she's "rampaging" or behaving abnormally.. Try to contact a behaviorist and ask them to send them these videos via email or upload them on Youtube, so they can view them.. Try to make a deal with them and explain to them that you cannot afford their whole fee.. 
If you send them the videos, you will help them identify your problem without making them visit all the way to your house. So, my guess is that they might lower their price, or might even not ask for any money..
It doesn't hurt to try! 
 I hope this helps!

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
For trying to stop Cissy jumping up on your side table or other places she goes and then knocks things off for attention, it might be worth trying the sticky tape idea described here.   It isn't expensive and if it works can work pretty quickly too.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

. . . Someone else suggested I send [a video] to the Cat From Hell show.

I have never seen it because it comes on cable, but I have heard all about it.  

I am praying that Cissy's better behavior continues.  
I haven't seen that show either due to not having cable. 

However, I may have something else for you that will prove helpful:

"Feline-Centric Tunes may be Music for Your Kitty's Ears"

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/09/22/cat-species-specific-music.aspx

I found that special music helped calm my dog during the 4th of July racket.

They say it helps cats, too. (:

Last edited by a moderator:

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I haven't seen that show either due to not having cable. 

However, I may have something else for you that will prove helpful:

"Feline-Centric Tunes may be Music for Your Kitty's Ears"

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/09/22/cat-species-specific-music.aspx

I found that special music helped calm my dog during the 4th of July racket.

They say it helps cats, too. (:
Thank you!  I wonder if "thundershirts" help with cats?  I used to see them advertised for dogs.  I will check this music out.

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Lol I tried to make a video of one of her rampages this afternoon, but all I got was a blue. She is so fast!  She is having less of them and the ones she has are shorter. Another thing I have noticed is, I no longer hear her meow when I leave the room. For a long time, I thought a cat was trapped under the house, and then I realized it was her. She would stop when I went back into my bedroom, but she would always seem normal and have a toy...but then when I would leave, she would meow, sort of a bewildered meow, if that makes sense.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For trying to stop Cissy jumping up on your side table or other places she goes and then knocks things off for attention, it might be worth trying the sticky tape idea described here.   It isn't expensive and if it works can work pretty quickly too.
I tried it! It worked at first! But then Grizzly started getting intrigued by the sticky tape! Hahahahahah! So, he climbed on the table just to "attack" the tape! THAT was hillarious! 
To be honest, I don't mind him climbing on surfaces.. Because when he is told not to, he listens.. It's good when we have guests.. But when it's just us, we have his little bowl alongside our dishes and he eats with us..

Mental note: must capture him on video when he is having a fight with a sticky tape 

Lol I tried to make a video of one of her rampages this afternoon, but all I got was a blue. She is so fast!  She is having less of them and the ones she has are shorter. Another thing I have noticed is, I no longer hear her meow when I leave the room. For a long time, I thought a cat was trapped under the house, and then I realized it was her. She would stop when I went back into my bedroom, but she would always seem normal and have a toy...but then when I would leave, she would meow, sort of a bewildered meow, if that makes sense.
@karenrhyne  LOL I understand! 
 It's a bit tricky to make a video like that.. But keep trying and make sure the video has a sound. Because the sounds she makes, can help the behaviorist as well! Also the sound can help determining where that "blur" you captured went! I hope I am making sense. Try to keep up with her when you're holding your camera. If she goes left, go left - if she goes right you go right etc.

If her rampages start to become shorter and rarer that means she's maybe improving..? Not 100% sure.. Try not to deal with her when she's having them.. Try to be indifferent.. Like nothing happens.. Like she's not there.. She WILL continue to do so, if she sees she's got your attention when she's acting like so.

Of course try to film her while she's having the rampages (so you can send the videos to a behaviorist), but generally do not give her your attention while she's having them. 

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I tried it! It worked at first! But then Grizzly started getting intrigued by the sticky tape! Hahahahahah! So, he climbed on the table just to "attack" the tape! THAT was hillarious! 
To be honest, I don't mind him climbing on surfaces.. Because when he is told not to, he listens.. It's good when we have guests.. But when it's just us, we have his little bowl alongside our dishes and he eats with us..

Mental note: must capture him on video when he is having a fight with a sticky tape 

It's a bit tricky to make a video like that.. But keep trying and make sure the video has a sound. Because the sounds she makes, can help the behaviorist as well! Also the sound can help determining where that "blur" you captured went! I hope I am making sense. Try to keep up with her when you're holding your camera. If she goes left, go left - if she goes right you go right etc.

If her rampages start to become shorter and rarer that means she's maybe improving..? Not 100% sure.. Try not to deal with her when she's having them.. Try to be indifferent.. Like nothing happens.. Like she's not there.. She WILL continue to do so, if she sees she's got your attention when she's acting like so.

Of course try to film her while she's having the rampages (so you can send the videos to a behaviorist), but generally do not give her your attention while she's having them. 

I don't mind her jumping on most anything, but my night stand is small and she knows EVERYTHING off...lamp, alarm clock,etc.  I used to keep other things there, but I had to add a squirt bottle so there's not much room left.  It's guaranteed that whenever she jumps up there, something is going to go flying. It scares her, too....but for some reason she is determined to jump up there.

So far today, she has only gone on one rampage and it was short, but she sent a LOT of things flying. She will go into my closet and start gnawing something and then she will peak around the corner to see if I am watching....it is like a game to her.  I can squirt her and she will run.....but then she always comes back to the scene of the crime and starts again. Sometimes I really do think she is retarded.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me more like she is a bright little cat and too full of energy and mischief.  Your description of her rampages and testing out doing things she knows you will react to and looking at you that way sounds exactly like a young Mouse, and an older one when he's in a cheeky mood.   He wraps his fangs round what ever he can find that he's sure is banned and then looks directly at me....  
   Ignoring is so hard but it is the only thing that has worked for getting him to stop doing such things constantly.   I had to wait for him to stop and go off to try something I wanted him to do then reward with the attention.

It is a wierd concept for us humans (unless perhaps we have had a very neglected childhood) but for cats, any attention no matter how mean and unpleasant will reinforce attention seeking behaviours.  It can make then nervous and skittish at the same time but still they will repeat the behaviour because they got a response.    

If there is some less easily dislodged sticky material than regular stucky tape to try on that side table I think it is worth trying - anything in an attemt to break the cycle of behaviour there, and also the use of squirty bottle which can add anxiety and therefor unpredicatable behaviours.   (I used to have 2 cats who liked water and it had no effect at all on them other than getting a response from me).

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It sounds to me more like she is a bright little cat and too full of energy and mischief.  Your description of her rampages and testing out doing things she knows you will react to and looking at you that way sounds exactly like a young Mouse, and an older one when he's in a cheeky mood.   He wraps his fangs round what ever he can find that he's sure is banned and then looks directly at me....  
   Ignoring is so hard but it is the only thing that has worked for getting him to stop doing such things constantly.   I had to wait for him to stop and go off to try something I wanted him to do then reward with the attention.

It is a wierd concept for us humans (unless perhaps we have had a very neglected childhood) but for cats, any attention no matter how mean and unpleasant will reinforce attention seeking behaviours.  It can make then nervous and skittish at the same time but still they will repeat the behaviour because they got a response.    

If there is some less easily dislodged sticky material than regular stucky tape to try on that side table I think it is worth trying - anything in an attemt to break the cycle of behaviour there, and also the use of squirty bottle which can add anxiety and therefor unpredicatable behaviours.   (I used to have 2 cats who liked water and it had no effect at all on them other than getting a response from me).
I tell others all the time that cats are just like toddlers, but I seem to forget that when thinking about my own cats.  Lol...they are brats, for sure.  I try to ignore Cissy whenever she starts gnawing on one of my CD cases, or plastic bags (anything plastic....and she likes wood, too)  and it does seem to shorten the time she does it, but I find evidence that she also gnaws when I am not home.  She went into my closet and somehow, was able to paw a CD out of a container (LOL It was my "Cats" one) and has gnawed almost to the cd part.  I did put them out of her reach. 

Out of all of the cats I have ever been owned by, Cissy is the only one I have ever used a squirt bottle on.  She does love water, but she doesn't like it in her face.  The purrfect deterrent would be an empty can of air, that made noise. I had one for about a month, but it stopped making that spray noise.  The ones with canned air, are too dangerous to spray. If she is anywhere around when I use hairspray, she takes off, but I have yet to find an empty spray can that will make noise. Btw, she often jumps in the shower as soon as I get out, and she loves to watch toilet water.

karenrhyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question.  About a month ago, Cissy was sleeping on her back, and her feet started vibrating.  If I touched her, she immediately stopped, but then her feet would start vibrating again.  This was BEFORE she started on the medication, or I would suspect that to be the cause.  I have not seen her do this again until earlier tonight. Again, she was on her back.  I did research, but nothing seems to fit. If she had been doing this often, I would have asked the vet about it, but tonight was only the second time.

I can't seem to get any decent pictures of her without her eyes glowing, but this seems to have become one of her favorite sleeping positions.