Help: my cat started peeing outside the litter box after adopting new kitten

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

For some context to the title, we adopted a kitten (we'll call her “Tabby”) back in December, she’s 5mo now and is female. She’s our third cat after “Grey” (7yo, male) and “White” (5yo, female). All are neutered/spayed except for Tabby, who is scheduled to be spayed in 2 weeks. Tabby was “quarantined” in a bathroom for the first 2 weeks or so (flea infested) and was then moved to my room where she stayed all day except for some supervised short visits in other parts of the house. They had slow paced introductions following the suggested steps and expectedly, they didn’t like her at first, hissing, growling, etc. was common. Grey got over it eventually but White really hated her (and still kinda does?) since day 1 to the point of aggression (hunting her down NOT playing, drawing blood a couple times) and of course, she’s the one with the pee problem.

White’s personality: she’s a scaredy cat with strangers, she’s really calm in general and with everyone living at home and she’s not all that affectionate except when it comes to me. She’ll follow me around like a shadow everywhere, will ask to come into every room I go and has slept with me most nights, it’s like she chose me as her person or something, I love her so much. Our vet has even described her as one of the calmest cats he’s seen (even if scared she’ll never hiss or attack) so we were pretty shocked with her attitude towards the kitten.
Tabby is brave, affectionate and FULL of energy, can be obnoxious, especially with Grey whose patience she likes to test often. But she’ll respect White (probably because of her beatings) and if she tries to initiate play with her she’s super cautious and doesn’t hesitate to hide if White comes after her. So it’s not like Tabby annoys White a lot.

So, the peeing problem —only pee, she does poop inside the litter boxes as usual— started one of the first times I took Tabby downstairs (I usually had to take White away from the space because of her attacking the kitten) and I’m pretty sure Tabby used the other cats’ litter boxes. White peed in a corner in the kitchen/dining room. I thought it was an accident because White was still using the litter boxes after it. Then, when Tabby started having more visits downstairs, I noticed these accidents happened again and put two and two together that “oh, it has to do with the kitten”.

I read online about enzymatic cleaners but couldn’t find one where I live so I turned to home-made solutions (like vinegar, pepper, lemon and even hot sauce) which deterred her maybe half of the times. Then I found a product used to train cats to not pee where it’s sprayed and it kinda worked at first but she stopped caring and would pee on top of it when it was dry after some time. Yesterday, —approximately 2 months since the first incident— I finally got my hands on an enzymatic cleaner and I was hopeful… I sprayed it generously on the problem pee-spots last night and washed it after like an hour (as per the instructions). Woke up today to no pee puddles, sprayed it again for good measure but before I could wash it off an hour later she had peed on it :(

At this point I don’t know what to do anymore, and it’s only got worse since Tabby was allowed to roam freely in the house (except for sleeping in my room at night). I’m sure it has to do with jealousy (threatened by me spending time with kitten and her sleeping in my room at night? I do pay attention to White and Grey too, though) and being territorial (luckily the attacking has mostly stopped, except sometimes when both Tabby and White are in my room). Maybe also despising that Tabby’s using the other litter boxes? But I don’t know how to fix it and feel like nothing works. I’m scared she’ll never drop the habit. I love her deeply but it’s no fun cleaning pee puddles, nor the smell, nor the tension between my father and I because “my cat keeps being nasty and pees on the floor”.

**Another relevant point about White’s peeing is that besides her 4 problem pee spots (tiled floor) she does pee inside ONE litter box: the one I had for Tabby in my room that I still keep for her as she stays at night (but she rarely uses). I don’t mind this at all except for the fact that White still pees on the floor when she’s downstairs, so it only works when she wants it to work. -It has a different kind of litter (wood pellets) but I don’t feel like the litter is the issue here because she’s used the clay(?) one for 5 years without issue, and if I were to change to all wood pellets I’d need 4 new litter boxes plus having to accustom Grey to using a different litter (he’s a picky cat in general so I’d rather not gamble with him).

So yeah, sorry for the long post but I felt some background was needed! Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try adding ONE new litter box with the wood pellets downstairs, near her "target corner." I realize it is not an ideal place for a litter box, but it is still better than the floor being pee'd on. IF that works, you can slowly, a few inches at a time, start moving that box into a more acceptable spot. Have you considered having White checked for a UTI? That is the most common cause for box accidents, and Feline Idiopathic Cystitis can be brought on by stress (such as a new cat in the house)/

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wondering if you could describe your litter box set up in a bit more detail--how many do you have, and where are they located?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try adding ONE new litter box with the wood pellets downstairs, near her "target corner." I realize it is not an ideal place for a litter box, but it is still better than the floor being pee'd on. IF that works, you can slowly, a few inches at a time, start moving that box into a more acceptable spot. Have you considered having White checked for a UTI? That is the most common cause for box accidents, and Feline Idiopathic Cystitis can be brought on by stress (such as a new cat in the house)/
Hi Mamanyt, thank you for the advice and sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy. I read your comment and last night when I got home I took the litter box (with wood pellets) I had in my room and put it downstairs, I couldn’t place it directly on top of a pee spot because they’re quite inconveniently placed (someone will trip over for sure), but it is sort of near to one. I re-cleaned the spots with enzymatic and put that “repellent” on top.

Woke up today to notice someone had peed on the pellet box! And just now I saw how White used it to pee, live! I also checked the spots and one of them is kind of wet, but I put a lot of the repellent product and by smell test I’m unsure if it’s repellent remnants or pee or both. It’s definitely an advance and if all that’s needed is having a special litterbox and litter for her, I’ll happily oblige. I’ll keep monitoring and see how it works. The only “issue” is that she did pee where the litter box used to be in my room when she went in today, but luckily I left a pee pad just in case. I’ll probably get another litter box to keep in my room permanently.

Thanks for bringing up the UTI possibility to my attention. I knew inappropriate urination could be caused by stress, but I wasn’t aware a UTI could be as well. I asked my vet and will follow up on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wondering if you could describe your litter box set up in a bit more detail--how many do you have, and where are they located?
Hi sunny! I’ve always tried to stick to the amount of cats + 1 litter box rule. Prior to the kitten I had 3 large ones, downstairs and side by side (with some space in between) in the corridor against the wall. Both Grey and White used them without issue, and White would cry to be let out of my room when she wanted, wouldn’t pee in it.

After Tabby's arrival I got her a separate litter box, the one with pellets in my bedroom, which she constantly used as she was mostly confined to my room. But since I’ve let her roam freely, even if she does come in my room often, I’ve noticed she prefers using the downstairs ones. I think that’s what’s bothered White? Grey had 0 issue with it, but again, he tolerates the kitten way better than White.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have had some success today with the new litter box placement, so that's great news! I might continue in the direction you are going in, and maybe over do it with the litter boxes for now. In multi cat households, it often helps to have multiple litter box areas. I'd keep the one in the bedroom, one in the pee spot, and the two downstairs, and I might even add another in a new location that White frequents.

Wondering also if you have lots of high up spaces for the cats to hang in, and lots of things for them to scratch? You could try putting a cat scratcher in one of White's illegal urinating spots. If White is trying to spread her scent/claim her territory, scratching is another way for her to achieve this.

Please keep us posted!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress can for sure cause UTIs. If she's still having issues I would take her to the vet for urine test. I would have litter boxes on both floors and spaced far apart. Two litter boxes close together is only seen as one litter box to a cat. For a while I would add another litter box with cat attract litter (or whatever litter that is White's favourite). I would also recommend getting another large cat tree for them which will add extra territory as well :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, color me just tickled pink! So, we have some success, at least! GOOD STUFF! Yes, stress can cause UTIs, specifically "Feline Idiopathic Cystitis" (FIC), which is basically "No real reason, but stress is a factor."