Help! My Cat Smells

susim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. Our cat Nahla is 2 years old; we've had her for a year (she's a rescue cat). She ate Whiskas for the first year we had her but recently she started refusing to eat it so we've changed her to Felix. The problem is that she smells now, she never smelt before but now she smells bad. At first it was just occasionally but twice now I've thought there was a tom in spraying but it turned out to just be her because she'd been in the room for too long!

She's neutered.

Please help - I'm worried that she's got bowel problems (she's an outdoor cat so no litter box to check). She's not changed behaviour-wise, just the smell. It doesn't smell like cat poo, if possible, it is actually worse smelling than cat poo.

Please help!!!!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to the site :wavey:

Is your cat long haired or short ?

Have you checked if her bum is clean ?

Does the smell come from her bum area or smell strongest by her bum area ?

Are you sure the smell doesn't come from another part of her body ? I'm thinking a infected cut or abscess can smell vile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response.

She is long haired, yes, I have checked it is cleaned - cleaned it myself to be sure. Smell is definitely from bum area, she doesn't smell elsewhere

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm thinking maybe her anal glands need emptying. Sometimes if they have had some soft stools for a while. Their anal glands don't empty themselves properly ( they need firm stools to press on them to release them ) this means they fill up and need to be expressed. This must be done only by a vet though.

Sounds right for the smell you are describing - the anal gland fluid is what give cat poop its smell. So to smell anal gland fluid is horrible it's like cat poop x 1000 it really is vile :barf:

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I expect everyone is right about the anal glands.  However Dandy seemed to smell after eating certain foods.  It didn't just seem to be her rear though. I returned the Canidae line after that.  We just didn't try any of the rest.