Help! My cat isn’t urinating normally after he had a catheter!

AlexM97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my male cat to the emergency vet Sunday because he couldn’t urinate at all. They said he had crystals forming a block in his urethra. So the put in a catheter for 48hrs(it was probably more like 36hrs.) and flushed his system. I picked him up Tuesday.
they put him on meds and prescribed royal canin feline urinary so formula wet food.

I had to take him back Wednesday because he was only peeing in very small amounts. Like dime sized pees. And sometimes he would go and not pee at all. But he wasn’t straining or in apparent pain like Sunday.

they said they expressed his bladder and he doesn’t have any blocks. But he may be having urethra spasms. They prescribed another pain meds and sent him home.
Took him back Thursday for the same thing. They said they expressed his bladder again. And no blocks.
Same thing Thursday. He actually was dripping pee in the litter box for several minutes on Friday before I rushed him to the vet. But they said he wasn’t blocked.

one if the vet docs Wednesday said he had an ok stream when they expressed his bladder. And a different vet doc (at the same place) on Thursday and Friday said it was more of a dripping than a stream. But they said his bladder wasn’t full or anything when I took him.
It’s now Saturday afternoon and he has still only been peeing in vet small amounts (fine and nickel sizes). And occasionally he will go to the litter box and produce nothing. But he only is in the litter box for a few seconds. He’s not straining or anything. He also occasionally leaks pee when not in the litter box. But it’s very little. Just a little drop or two coming out of his penis.

it’s been 6 days since the initial procedure was done Sunday. And 4 days since they removed the catheter Tuesday. I’m really worried because he’s not peed normally yet.
he also hasn’t pooped at all since I’ve gotten him home Tuesday. The vet wasn’t too concerned about that though. She said that’s normal due to the meds.

sorry this is so long. I’m really concerned and hoping to get some input from those that have had this issue with their cats before. Thanks !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AlexM97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same thing Thursday. He actually was dripping pee in the litter box for several minutes on Friday before I rushed him to the vet. But they said he wasn’t blocked
*Friday

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hate to say it, but CALL THE VET BACK! And ask them if they can train you to express his bladder at home, in case they are closed for any reason. This is a fairly simply procedure which could save his life in these uncertain times when a vet might not be available. LOTS of people with cats whose nervous systems are compromised routinely do this at home, it really isn't that hard. While what is happening isn't actually rare, it can cause its own problems.

A little olive oil added to his food may help with the constipation. Not TOO much, as a very soft stool can be harder for lax muscles to pass than a hard one. 5-10 drops of Extra Virgin Olive Oil should do it, and I'd go with 5, finding that balance. And wait until tomorrow to see if he goes on his own...the vet is right...the meds can slow things down.