Help, My cat is not eating, drinking and is throwing up

jlc1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Tom, who is 7 years old has been pretty healthy (He does have a breathing problem the vet is going to look into). Suddenly 3 days ago he started throwing up yellow-green liquid, that day he threw up atleast 5 times. We also noticed that he was not eating or drinking and had gotten thinner. So we don't know how long he had not been eating for (We have 2 cats so its hard to tell who's eating all the food). He was also very slow (his movement was very slow), and he had been sleeping only to get up to throw up and go back to sleep. My mom called the vet, and we took him in the next day, but had to leave him over night to get x-rays to check for blockage and take blood and such. He also said he was dehydrated so they put him on IV fluids. Today we went in and the vet said that he didn't have a blockage, and he had eaten today, so it would be best if we took him for the weekend. He gave him a shot to stop vomiting for 48 hours and gave us some special canned food. The vet said that his blood work would be in by Monday.
Now we're home, he was active for awhile, less than normal though. But now he won't eat, not even a piece of chip (He loves them). He has also been vomiting again even though he had a shot for it. And he started sleeping a lot again. I'm so worried about him, I don't even know what to do.... ):

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlc1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I sound rude I'm sorry, but what is going back to the vet going to do >_<.
The vet we used made it sound like he has done everything in his power to find out what is wrong, and now we have to wait for the blood tests.
The vet let us take him home because they are closed on the weekend, and people only "check in" on the animals

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least calling the vet and explaining the situation is in order. I'm so sorry that he is so sick
I do hope it turns out not to be too serious.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't sound rude at all, friend, you sound like a worried parent. I truly feel for you right now. In recommending that you take Tom back to the Vet, I didn't realize it was an office that was closed on the weekend. It's wonderful you were able to bring your baby home, Tom is surely so much more comfortable this way, and you surely are, as well. I'd be horrified at the thought of leaving one my girlies at the Vet's office all weekend when they were merely "checking in" that way.

The IV fluids Tom was given at the Vet were surely helpful at the time, but it's my concern that he is becoming dehydrated again. The fact that he is continuing to refuse food and water and is vomiting again despite the shot he received is extremely worrisome, as is his lethargy. Does your Vet have an emergency off hours number where he can be reached? I'm wondering if he may need to go in to the ER Vet for fluids? Monday is a long way off when it comes to a kitty who can become quickly dehydrated. I know you want to do everything necessary for the health of your little boy.

jlc1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your answers so far,
but no the vet did not leave us an emergency number.
Do you think buying a syringe and giving him water and food by that means would be good enough until monday?

What is scaring me the most is how thin he has gotten, hes not very thin but he now has a small dent after his ribs. My other cat has much bigger dents and is healthy, but he has never had them before..
sorry if you dont know what I'm talking about...

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he may have fatty liver disease. Classic symptoms are not eating/drinking, weight loss and vomiting. If he doesn't have it, not eating for any longer will cause that. so you MUST get food into him. The syringe feeding is the best way.... as much as you can until you get him back to the vet.

Mix wet food with warm water (blend if possible) and syringe 1ml at a time into his mouth pointed slightly forward from the time so you don't aspirate the food. This may cause him to vomit more but as long as the food is into him for awhile he will get nutirents.

Did the vet check his skin colour?? Check the skin by his ears.... not eating can cause rapid liver failure in cats and his skin will be yellow...... if he is at this point he HAS TO HAVE FOOD, and he may even need an emergency vet to get a feeding tube into him.

Also did the vet give him any fluids/ IV or otherwise? This is very important and can kick start them into eating again/feeling better. If not he probably needs fluids ASAP

Edit: I see that he did get fluids, but I agree he may need more before Monday. Syringe feeding will get fluids into him as well as food but often it isn't enough. The only reason I know this is because kismet went through this, lost over half her body weight and I had to syringe feed her for weeks and give her subQ fluids to save her life.

Good luck and wishing you tons of good vibes

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hepatic Lipidosis is most definitely a danger for kitties in this situation. Cats should never, ever go more than a short period without eating. It's very serious and quickly becomes life threatening. Please let us know what his blood work reveals when it comes in Monday.

If you are unable to get Tom to an ER Vet, yes, please assist syringe feed him. He must have nourishment! Our member in the previous post has given great advice for how to go about it as far as adding water to wet food to make it into a consistency that will go through the syringe. Please be sure to point the syringe slightly toward Tom's cheek instead of straight toward his throat so that he doesn't aspirate. It's also helpful to not tilt his head back, but instead, try to keep his head in the natural lying or sitting position.

You may want to check out this great Feline Assist Feeding group for tips.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...isted-Feeding/

Please keep us updated on how Tom is progressing, he's definitely in my prayers.

jlc1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some good-ish news.
Last night he ate some of the vets prescribed canned food, and peed on my bathroom rug >_> (we think he has a UTI because he will not pee in the litter), but that means he at least had something to pee out. This morning he ate some kibble too, and has not thrown up.
He seems to be feeling a bit better, he being very loving again like before he got sick, and seems a bit more lively.
(:

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is good news, keep it up and have that UTI dealt with ASAP. Just be careful and keep an eye on him, these things can get a little better before they get much worse. But I'm really sending vibes that your kitty will keep up his eating. Did you check his skin colour?

jlc1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, hes mostly white so its easy to tell.
And hes his normal pinkish color lol

jlc1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hill's prescription diet c/d (I guess for his UTI (if he has one)) and i/d (the one for digestive things)
So far he has not even finished a can, but he has eaten little bits of it and kibble several times today.

jlc1209

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does the C/D actually help get rid of a UTI or whatever its designed for, or just keep it away?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlc1209

Does the C/D actually help get rid of a UTI or whatever its designed for, or just keep it away?
most script foods for UTI actually dissolve the crystals, i think...