help- my cat is mad and hisses at me

heartbrokeninny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat of 4 years now hates me because i accidentally stepped on his tail. i know it was a stupid mistake but for the last week he has hissed or hid from me.. we were always close but ever since i made the mistake he is really upset if i even go near him. i dont know how else to say sorry, i tried his favorite toys, and some special treats but to no avail. please help if u can i miss my cat

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been there! I had a sweet, tiny solid black cat for 18 years. I can't tell you how many times I kicked her by accident because I just couldn't see her in the dark. I was always racked by guilt whenever I did this.

Are you sure that the tail is Okay? If it is still sore, he will remain upset. If the tail is okay, then you are probably just trying too hard. Instead of following him around trying to convince him to love you again, just sit quietly. Have some treats on the floor around you and just let the cat come for the treats and leave. Don't talk or move, just sit quietly. After a day or two of doing this, he will probably be back to his old self again.

lisav

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I agree, perhaps his tail is still sore can you get close enough to check it out? Or perhaps there's someone else in the household who can have a look (feel) at it. When I was younger I had a cat who really knew how to hold a grudge and would do the same thing after an accidental kick or similar. She'd get over it in about 2 weeks or so but if you tried to make up with her before she was ready look out! - she'd hiss and carry on like you were some kind of psychotic cat maimer that was after her!

So I think it will pass provided there's no permanent physical damage done.

Lisa