Help! My Cat Is Itching His Ears To Death!

LilBoyFlynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been doing this for months and recently its gotten so bad he's caused bald patches and some bleeding on the outside of his ears. I know he's uncomfortable and want so badly to help him but I can;t identify the culprit. The vet prescribed some allergy meds and we've also used Zirtec. I've tried changing his cat litter 2-3x, he's been bathed and given his regular Frontline, and we've also changed his food 3x and are now using prescription anti-allergenic food.

So currently he's on special allergenic food and is getting allergy medicine. He's still itching, but possibly less.

Anybody have advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has he been on the special allergenic food? It can take a while to stop the itching if it is related to his previous food.

It is not a solution, but just to help with the itchiness - you can try using chamomile tea bags (standard grocery type, no additives), brew one in water, cool the liquid and dab it on the area outside of his ears - maybe a couple of times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties - just to help give him some relief while you wait to see if the new food produces results.

If the new food doesn't give him relief, it could be the Frontline he is allergic to. So, next I would change that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilBoyFlynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner- Thanks! He has been purely on the new allergenic food for a week. Good point on that, my gf also tells me she thinks it can take up to 6 weeks to fully take effect. I like the sound of the chamomile solution, thats def worth trying. I will also look into the Frontline as a next measure. Appreciate the advice!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is the hypoallergenic food? I assume it's a prescription diet? If the diet doesn't work after 13 weeks or so, try a different food. A lot of prescription foods are chicken-based and many cats have sensitivities to chicken. You can try a commercially available limited ingredient diet for another 13 weeks or so.

There's some info on skin issues here: Skin Conditions In Cats

A veterinary dermatologist may be helpful if your regular vet can't figure out the issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilBoyFlynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! The prescription food is Purina Hydrolyzed. Supposedly the hydrolyzed form should make the protein source ok.

I read the article on skin conditions. While the ear mites seems like a possible culprit, the vet said he had none and prescribed something last year that had no impact, so I guess I can rule that out. I certainly hope he's not stressed! But I don't think that is likely- but of course I will watch that too

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He could be stressed out from the ear itching, I suppose - adding to the equation. The chamomile tea can also be used in his water to help calm him down a bit?? Maybe a 1/2 tsp in a small amount of water, just to see if he would drink it?

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally understand what you are going through. I too have a cat with the worst itchy ears ever. We did a food trial with Royal Canin Rabbit food. It didn't work for him so his dermatologist basically ruled out good allergies but it might for your guy. You GF is right that you need go give it about 8 weeks to see if it will work. No treats, nothing else.

As we've ruled out food allergies my cat just had Heska blood testing to see if he has environmental allergies. If it comes back positive he'll receive injections to help. In addition, he takes 35mg of Cyclosporine daily to tamper down his immune response to allergies.

To stop him from clawing up his ears so bad he has nail caps on his back toes. They were like $7 for 160 on Amazon and they really seem to help. They have to be replaced frequently but it's not a big deal for my cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To stop him from clawing up his ears so bad he has nail caps on his back toes. They were like $7 for 160 on Amazon and they really seem to help. They have to be replaced frequently but it's not a big deal for my cat.

An e-collar would also help, at least temporarily. Pet stores sell soft e-collars.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For temporary relief of itching to to allergies you can also use a spray on children’s Benadryl.
We experienced a “scratch-until-bleeding” episode a while ago and part of the problem was that as it begins to heal it gets itchy all over again. The Benadryl relieves that itch long enough to get it healed.