HELP!!! My Cat Is Eating My Carpet

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
OMG this person scared the crap out of me saying they were going to euthanize their cat for chewing carpet. Please don't use such scare tactics to get a quick response. Wow.
Please note that this thread is 12 years old and the OP has not been active in the TCS forums recently. In any case, the issue was resolved long ago.

If you are looking for information about cats chewing on carpets it would be a good idea to start a new thread. That way you're more likely to get people responding to your questions rather than to the original questions.

snuggles421

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having the same issue with my cat but she's eating it and throwing it up! She has been doing it ever since we moved to our new home . We built a brand new home with new carpet upstairs and she has ruined a huge spot. She is pulling it out with her teeth and eating it. I cannot figure out what started the behavior. She started it a couple months after we moved in. I tried spraying the carpet with cat away and she doesn't care. I tried putting a scratch pad over it and she just pushes her nose under it and pulls a piece out and eats it. I tried putting tape on it and she finds another spot to start! She always does it when I'm not around so I can't shake a can, later she will throw it up! Please help!! I don't want to get rid of her but I can't afford new carpet either. Thx

mom2four

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem. My daughter has a cat that eat clothes if on the floor.

I just rescued a second cat that ate a large whole in an old oriental carpet and a large whole in my pajamas and then threww it all up. Uck. Can't believe she ate SO much and made such a mess. I even found small bites of other colors. Trying to figure out what else she's been into. Sadly, after the rug incident I am considering returning her to the local human society for rehoming. I was very upset but I see now that's it's more comman than I imagined.