HELP 🥺 My cat is doing this, what is this called?

AmyB7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have given the google drive link to the video, please let me know if you can identify what exactly is she doing? Is this coughing? Or choking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyB7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She does it sometimes. She did this over the years once in a while. She is 9 years old. Recently she is doing it a little bit more than before. she also has a little sneezing this time.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can share the video with the vet for a quick assessment. If this has increased lately, an appointment would be best.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, thats exactly what coughing a hairball sounds and looks like. That said, if you aren't finding hairballs actually come up, you might mention it to your vet. I've certainly seen this without the hairball once in a while, but if its becoming a common thing, might be worth the mention. If most of the episodes are this long or longer, you could also mention that you've timed it, and some of the episodes go a full 30 seconds, which seems a bit on the long side. When we had more carpet, many was the time I wished for 30 seconds -- its not a crazy amount of time, sometimes you get that, but quite often you dont.

Probaby nothing though! Just something cats do.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
A hairball wouldn't get your cat to jump like that at the 0.04 mark....with her ribs contracting.
Get her to your Vet ASAP.
and send the video beforehand, so they know what to do right away.
Good Luck.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a hairball, but if the cough doesn't produce one (and it sounds like it hasn't), you might want to discuss it with the vet. I don't think it's anything of a first-class emergency, but it does continue for quite a while.

My cats sometimes get an unproductive cough too.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this isn't hairball if she doesn't produce any material, this is respiratory cough - there may be several causes like heart disease or asthma - she needs diagnostics to rule out asthma.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I believe that you need to investigate this further. If a hairball were actually produced, I might feel a little bit easier, but it seems as if it could be a cough or episode of another origin. If you go to the vet and this ends up being a reassurance that nothing is wrong, that is great and is the end of it. If not, at least you are at the beginning of treatment if something else is needed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this isn't hairball if she doesn't produce any material, this is respiratory cough - there may be several causes like heart disease or asthma - she needs diagnostics to rule out asthma.
I would just rephrase slightly to say "this isn't hairballs if she never produces any material". You can definitely get the noises because of a hairball that just won't come out that particular time, just the same way that one can get the dry heaves when sick and then vomit the next time. Anyway, I think all of us agree in substance -- this sounds like a good thing to ask the vet about unless its generally associated with hairballs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyB7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You everyone for all the help! I was so confused. Upon reading all the replies here and after I read on cough,asthma, seems like it might as well be cough/asthma/something respiratory related, because I never saw her cough up hairball. I will talk to the vet about this. Thank you so much everyone once again! Jesus bless you all!

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My previous cat would do this once in awhile. She ended up passing from sudden heart failure. I’ve since learned coughing can be a sign of heart issues. I wouldn’t ignore it, maybe it’s hairballs but maybe it’s not. I wish I had taken it more seriously but I unfortunately trusted a vet who was not familiar with the symptoms.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Our cats were doing this. They actually stopped once we got an air purifier. Don't know if that would help you at all! When in doubt though, a vet visit or at least a phone call is probably always the best route to take.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you too, AmyB7 AmyB7 ....for asking about this, and looking after your beautiful cat companion. :catrub:

The reason I mentioned going to the Vet to check it out, is because normally you would see the lower stomach moving...in a sort of 'wave like motion'...if it were a hairball.
(When throwing up a hairball, my cat used to look more like he was vomiting up a huge substance, with a lot of stomach action.
It was quite frightening when I first saw it happen. But the end result was liquid, and then fur mixed with liquid/stomach fluids. The wave like motion would give it away.)

I didn't see that in your video. (But your Vet would better know for sure.)
Because you mentioned the sneezing, it may also be related to a respiratory infection, and easily treated.
Ruling out asthma like She's a witch She's a witch ...mentioned is a really good thing to do. :bluepaw:

Sending you Health vibes for your cat, and hoping that it is easily treated. :goodluck:
and thank you for updating us, when you can.
(It will help others who will read your thread, too.)