Help! My cat is a bully!

Crazycatmom565

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old hellion. She was an indoor cat who would tear around the house leaping-not knowing where she would land until mid flight. She knocked the water and food over daily despite several different styles of dishes. The final straw was when she peed in my dryer. Now she goes out in the day and sleeps peacefully in bed with us all night. (Until day break when she decides to claw the screens or knock things over until we let her out.) My issue is this: I got a call from a neighbor reporting that my cat is terrorizing her chickens. She said she will trap the cat and take her to the spca if she sees her in the yard again. To make matters worse, she is the towns’ animal control officer!!! How can I keep her in the yard? An enclosed cat yard would not be enough for her. She needs to run and chase! I’m especially worried that if I make her stay inside she will terrorize us even more! Even at night! Help!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully someone will have some ideas, but besides a catio/cat enclosure, I have no other thoughts. I am guessing that if you don't take such an action, you will lose your cat for sure. If you are handy, or have family/friends/etc. that are, you can build quite an elaborate enclosure that I am sure she would learn to enjoy.
Join Our Catio Cat Club - Catio Spaces

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
they have cat fences you can put up ... if you already have a fence you can add a roll inside overhang to keep the cat inside ... once your cat is outside of your property there is a very good chance she will get hurt, trapped or worse... not all people like cats and very few like them inside their yards. While you might benefit from your cat " chasing things" - others might see your cat as a predator and danger to local wildlife and other pets. ... Imagine a stray dog would be strolling through your yard and terrorize your animals, poop and pee in your flower beds and go after your songbirds that you have attracted with a bird feeder ... or try to kill your chickens, bunnies ...We have such a " housecat" in our neighborhood and my neighbor has small kids and a sandbox that now has cat poo inside and the little girls have found half eaten birds on their porch ... be a good neighbor and keep your cat confined to your property ... catio , fence ... however you like ...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An invisible fence??
Quite controversial. Because cats are smaller than dogs, the prongs often rub into them causing ulceration and ultimately infection. There might be some safe products out there, but the risk is real. Many, many years ago when I didn't know better I tried this with my first set of cats, and my cat got ulcerations from the shock prongs.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite controversial. Because cats are smaller than dogs, the prongs often rub into them causing ulceration and ultimately infection. There might be some safe products out there, but the risk is real. Many, many years ago when I didn't know better I tried this with my first set of cats, and my cat got ulcerations from the shock prongs.
What prongs? It is a regular collar with a little box on the bottom.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The contact points. Sores are a pretty well known thing. A google search for example revealed one manucturer recommending that collar be worn intermittently to avoid sores. Which is well and good, but if your cat ignores the fence and is gone for a few days he might come back with infected sores. If you are talking about an invisible fence that doesn't use electricity, thats a different thing.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The contact points. Sores are a pretty well known thing. A google search for example revealed one manucturer recommending that collar be worn intermittently to avoid sores. Which is well and good, but if your cat ignores the fence and is gone for a few days he might come back with infected sores. If you are talking about an invisible fence that doesn't use electricity, thats a different thing.
I put invisible fence, not electric fence. That's why I was so confused about the prongs. :lol:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put invisible fence, not electric fence. That's why I was so confused about the prongs. :lol:
Fair. I don't know much about those re: effectiveness on cats. I tried electric years ago, and as mentioned, got the sores. In fairness, I was using it wrong. For intermittent use only electric might be fine, sore wise anyway (I gather some cats will power through).