Help my cat has gone crazy! Pees on me and is very aggressive!

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me start this post by saying I love my little psycho so much but I’m so frustrated.

Our cat has always been difficult. We got him as an adult from a shelter and he’s always had anxiety to an extent which presented itself in occasional inappropriate spraying inside and outside and some aggressive behaviour towards our other cats. it was manageable.

We have movies from the country to the city and there are a lot of neighbour cats. His outside time has been reduced and we are at work a little more (because of commute times etc).

In the last few weeks he has:
* Peed on me and my partners legs and bodies while we are asleep about 3 times.
* spray peed in my face while I was lying on the bed writing in a notepad
* spray pees all through our house and obsessively when we are outside.
* attacked the neighbours cats multiple times resulting in severe injury to one of the cats who is elderly and frail ( this led to even more reduced outside time which has made him even more crazy);
* he wanders the house meowing at nothing.

He is still ok with our other cat but I’ve noticed our other cat has become very wary - sleeping under the bed in fear- so who knows what happens while I’m at work.

We have a Feliway diffuser. We have catnip and a relaxation station toy. We play with him and give him lots of attention. We take him outside on supervised walks to ensure he doesn’t kill other cats.
He has recently started clomicalm which makes him fat and lethargic but we are hoping may help a little. Vet hasn’t identified a medical problem but he is so crazy he broke the needle 3 x getting the blood test and they gave up (*weeps*).

Has anyone ever heard of this!? I don’t like being peed on while I sleep. Tell me others have had success stories with a cat calming down!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Since he was adopted from a shelter as an adult, I assume he’s been neutered, right? The reason I’m asking, is that those are a lot of behaviors we might expect to see in whole male cats.

I have a couple of thoughts:

You mentioned that there are other cats in the neighborhood. Some cats can be very territorial, and you end up getting issues with redirected aggression. This article explains more about what redirected aggression is: Re-directed Aggression In Cats – Cat Articles. So, one thing I would suggest is covering up all your windows so he can’t see the other cats, to see if that helps.

Since you said that his behavior seems to get worse when he gets less outside time, I think that one reason he may be acting out is because he is a cat with extra high activity demands. You could try increasing the amount of active playtime he gets. Here are some articles about playtime and entertaining cats:

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – Cat Articles

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – Cat Articles

You could also look into leash training, so that he can get exercise outdoors, without having to worry about him getting into scraps with other cats.

Harness And Leash Training For Cats – Cat Articles

If all else fails, you could also meet with your vet to ask about possible anti-anxiety medications.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this might be difficult to do but has your vet ruled out a UTI? One of my adult cats suddenly started peeing on us and our bed. He was telling us he was sick. He was taken to the vet and went through two rounds of antibiotics for his UTI. Also does he have access to a litter box close to the bed room? I immediately added an extra litter box in my master bathroom to make it easier for my cat to get to the litter box in time. I am keeping the extra litter box upstairs until he goes back to vet for a re-check to make sure his UTI is gone.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry you're dealing with all this. :alright: My thoughts are also wondering about a UTI. Particularly since his behaviour has recently escalated. It's possible the move,plus the cats in the new neighbourhood is stressing him out. And stress can cause UTIs.

Here's some TCS articles with more info:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – Cat Articles
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping – Cat Articles
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory – Cat Articles

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles