Help! My Cat Has A Sore In The Roof Of His Mouth

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Gato (neutered, 3 years old) was out in the garden this evening with my husband and me while we were tending to the garden. Just now, we noticed that he was drooling and his saliva was very thick and gel-like and with a little bit of blood mixed in. He is able to eat and drink, but looks obviously uncomfortable.

We checked his mouth and he has a red sore in the roof of his mouth all the way in the back, He has stopped drooling. Of course we are taking him to the vet tomorrow at 7 am. We decided to wait because it is almost midnight and our experience with emergency vets has not been very good, so we would much rather wait until the regular vets are in.

I just wanted to see if there is anything specifically we should ask about tomorrow during his consultation. I do not know if he ate something from the garden and that caused the sore. I don't know if it could be a disease.

We have caused him a lot of stress recently. We just moved to a new house and introduced a new kitten a couple of weeks later. On top of that, we unintentionally changed his diet quite a bit from homemade food to kibble because, in the middle of all the moving, we just could not manage making cat food. I feel terrible about this, since I know stress can be a precursor for many diseases in cats. Can we give him anything to make him more comfortable?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry no one answered. I would mention all the stress factors to your vet and that he was in the garden. If you have any non onion/non garlic baby food, or canned cat food and/or a little tuna juice, and lactose reduced cow milk or goat milk. I so hope your vet is able to determine what is happening. My thoughts are with all of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom , thank you for your reply. It appears that Gati scraped his mouth with a piece of grass from the garden :(.

Since he is eating and behaving normally we were told to just keep an eye on him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, thank goodness - I'm so glad to hear. Thank you for the update! Oh, and I meant to say, what a gorgeous cat!

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you! If you mean the one in my profile picture, that is actually my other cat, Tita (female, 8 months).

This is Gato:
View media item 419723
And if I may say so, yes, he is gorgeous :rolleyes:, but aren't all of our furbabies just the most beautiful creatures?

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
pushylady pushylady , Thanks! he is all healed up by now and next time we are gardening, he will not be allowed outside until he can be properly supervised.