HELP! my cat gave birth 8h ago and not ok/ ongoing kitten issues

LunaxRuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth 10h ago she seemed fine she got 5 healthy babies, and groomed them fed them, I woke up I noticed a spot of blood, and I noticed she is heavily breathing and snoring, and sometimes opening her mouth and penting, she is licking a lot, specially her vagina, and breathing fast, she ate twice so far full plates, she walked around and peed, is it possible she's going in labor again and there are more or is it an emergency, all vets open 3h from now so I'm worried.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she still having contractions? Are her gums pale? The panting might be okay if she is still in labor but the snoring concerns me. If no more contractions, I would be calling a vet to see if they have an on call vet to talk to. Some have website availability too. You don’t say how much blood but if it isn’t afterbirth and she keeps showing problems, get her checked to be safe. Maybe StefanZ StefanZ is online and can better advise than I can. I am sure someone else will be along to help but if you can contact a vet, do so. If nothing else, they can offer reassurance.
Maybe catsknowme catsknowme is online?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I called 5he vet he told me just to give her milk, because she's a 1st time mother and she got a. Kittens 5 when normal. I'd 2 or 3
As I recall, they usually want you to give mom some formula. Please get her some lactose-free whole milk so she can have the added fat, calories, and calcium, without it hurting her tummy. The kittens all look very healthy but that is a big litter for a first time cat mother.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I called 5he vet he told me just to give her milk, because she's a 1st time mother and she got a. Kittens 5 when normal. I'd 2 or 3
As said above, not the usual cow milk. Goats milk is fine. If you have just cows milk, so either lactose free (preferably fat) or youghurt. Or formula =(kmr). Whichever she takes.

So the vet wasnt much worried by the bleedings and pantings?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its common they do have afterpains. Its also not impossible she has another one...
But as she did ate twice is a good sign. Cats in real pain usually dont have patience to eat... So I hope for the best, even if you do must be on your watch.

I understand the vet wasnt much concerned about the labored breathing?
Of course giving her suitable milk products is always good; what he meant, she needs extra calcium, asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaxRuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she doing now? Some of her symptoms seem quite normal.
She's doing better I got her pet milk lactose free, I put my hands around her belly there is a lot of emptybess but I feel a litte blob like inside idk what it is or if it's normal or it's an unborn dead kitten I'm not sure, she has not panted but she is breathing fast when feeding them, also I'm weighting the kittens she does not mind me handling them since she's OVERLY Attached to me, although I'm having trouble knowing which black cat is which xD to track it

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, the lump may be just a lumpy uterus which is quite common so soon after birth. The uterus has to contract down to its normal size after birth - which may also be the reason for her fast breathing while nursing as nursing releases hormones to help the uterus contract down to its normal size. Also, bleeding is normal after birth, BUT, beware of excessive bleeding. A dime-sized spot here and there is normal and should lessen after the second day and can last up to a week. If you see a lot of blood do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian. Keep us posted and good luck! :heartshape::goodluck:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have gotten excellent advice here. I am so glad she and babies are doing okay. Please do let us know how everything progresses. Extra good nutrition for mom is important right now. She is having to eat for herself and five little ones. It’s wonderful that you got her some pet milk. You are a wonderful kitty guardian!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaxRuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat moved her kittens to a small place, I feel when she's out the place is good but when she is in feeding them it's 5o small, I attempt to move them she carries them back any help pls

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She must feel they are safe there and if she thought it was too small for feeding, she would have moved them. She knows best in this case.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the place is OK. Your luck they are somewhere you CAN reach them, even look in some (use a little mirror to help out if you need).

The real disadvantage is this place will be soiled with time. But you can use enzymatic cleaners.