Help! My cat attacks my face!

3kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am truly desperate in finding an answer for my situation. I hope you can help me. My cat which is estimated by the vet to be nearly 5 years old now, came to our house as a stray. When I took him in to be neutered, we found that he already was. He is an indoor/outdoor cat. (He sleeps in at night and occasionally naps on my bed during the day.) Overall, he's very friendly and outgoing. He loves rolling over on his back, sliding down the steps, coming out to meet us when we get come in the vehicle, and following us everywhere. He purrs at one stroke and loves sleeping with us, "kneading" on us as if he was still nursing. It seems to make him more content and that's how he "makes his nest" before going to sleep. He is very well cared for and though we have 2 other cats, he seems to get the most attention. He has been ill towards the other two cats since he came here and chases them to no avail and actually attacks one of them if he can catch her and has hurt her on a couple of occasions. We literally have to keep the two of them seperate as much as we possibly can. Down to the real problem: This has happened since we took him in and it probably occurs about once every 2 mos., but too much none the less! I will pick him up and have him cradled in my arms. I'll be stroking him and rub his nose gently (which he loves). He will almost always be purring and nearly asleep, when BAM! He atatcks my face viciously- usually reaching for my eyes! I have to pry his claws (which are stuck in my face!) off of me to keep him from tearing my face to shreds. It is not play! He is angry when he does this-ears laid back and all. It comes out of no where and suddenly, w/ little or no warning. And it always brings the blood. Its as if he gets uncomfortable when one gets too close to his face, but you can't tell because most of the time he will be purring seconds before. Most of the time, when he is sleepy, you can do anything to him. He's very limp and will lay on my chest a lot. I do not what is causing this horrible agressive behavior. I do not know what to do to stop it. I love him so much and it hurts my face and my feelings when he dives into his caring owner.
Can you please help me? Thanks!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first and most obvious point is to keep him away from your face.

If he had been a stray, he will be more on the alert and skittish than if he had not been a stray.

It may be that he is not sure what your intentions are as you bring your face closer to him. Once you reach a certain point, it is like a short-circuit happens and he panics, clawing out at anything.

Maybe you need to give him more time to get used to you, but please, for your own safety, keep your face away from him.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is pretty crazy. Sounds like he has some feral in him. He wouldnt happen to have a clipped ear would he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying. However, he is nearly 5 years old and has done this since I've had him at 8 mos. Yes, he was a stray, but shouldn't the affection I've shown to him have worked by now? I'll definitely keep him away from my face. It will be hard because you never know his reaction. Mostly, he'll be serene and go to sleep in my arms, even letting out little moans as he relaxes. But other times, like tonight, he'll rip into my face terribly.

3kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, no clipped ear. He came to us as a stray that was strnagely, already neutered. He has had a "wild" streak in him since day one though. He has many of the characteristics of a Maine Coon. He is gold with darker gold stripes on legs. arms and cheeks. He is gorgeous, which makes it irresistable for me to sometimes just scoop him up and carry him. Obviously, he likes his space. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced this, though.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In reading about Maine Coons, I've discovered that it is a "MC thing" to not enjoy being cuddled close, which is difficult, cuz that thick, "creamy-feeling" fur is sooo irresistible

Since the cat is purring right before it happens, it could be that he suddenly gets "overstimulated" or, which to me seems more likely, suddenly realizes how close your "fangs" are to him - and if you make direct eye contact, then you've suddenly (in his mind) turned PREDATOR!!
BTW, welcome to TCS and BLESS YOU for working with your cat on this scary, potentially dangerous issue
Many a cat has been surrendered to the kill-shelter, or worse, for many a lesser-offense

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor you! At least it isn't a common occurrence...sounds like your face needs to be kept off-limits to him. Perhaps try holding him in your arms so that his belly is facing down...he won't have access to your face as easily, and maybe he won't feel so vunerable with his belly up.

3kats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all very much. I am feeling like it may be either that he is overstimulated and just doesn't like to get too close. I'm praying that is it rather than some type of cat psychosis. Eek! Also, because he was a stray and he was soooo terrified the night I found him. I had to lure him to me with food and ended up catching him. He then flew under the washing machine. I stayed in the room with him for hours that night until he came out enough that I could get him out the rest of the way. He was truly scared stiff. I held him a long time and talked to him reassuringly. After that night, he's lived in my bed except for his daily outdoor adventures.
So obviously there was a lot of fear and maybe I went about it the wrong way. Anyway, I am trying to give him his space. I wish I had a way of posting his picture here, but my profile or user options does not even give an option of an avatar or a signature.
Here's a link to his album...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/candaced...60762387088347

Anyway, thanks again.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I wonder if something entirely different is happening - like his catching himself (or something else) reflected in your eyes (you don't wear glasses?) and freaking out, or else reacting to face cream, or your eyelashes fluttering (like a bird)? Cats are so weird to begin with, and it can be hard to figure out what's going on in their little minds, but sometimes it's not that complicated if you think about it. Just an idea.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the experience with this that I have had: Persi will attack the faces of women that wear certain types of makeup/perfume but leave other women's faces alone. Had you considered this? My wife has four sisters that live in the immediate area and we see them a lot and found that Persi would attack the faces of two of them but not the others. After a little bit of change (I cannot say exactly what but it had to do with makeup/perfume), Persi does not attack any of my sister-in-laws in the face now. Just for the heck of it, see if he bothers your face when you have absolutely nothing on it. Just a thought...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Sparkle does a similar thing, only she attacks when she catches sight of Lily, and you never know when Lily is going to come around the corner! We don't pick Sparkle up to cuddle much any more, but we love her up a lot on the floor (or sofa, or bed...). I hope you figure it out, good luck.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

emtjess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that is almost 2 years old. I got him as a free to go home at the age of 8 weeks. He is nuetured and declawed when he was 6 months. After I got him he has followed me around like a lil puppy dog. at this time I was not working, I was a stay at home mom. When I went back to work over 6 months ago, he has attacked me in the face and chest. Last night he was laying on me coudling (was not patting him) and he attacked my face. I have tried punishing him by putting in the cage, still does it, squirt bottle( but he likes it way to much) Made sure his litter box is cleaned everyday, made sure he has fresh water and food, play time and treats. he does this almost every other month it seems. Im to the point where I have no clue what to do. I love him as my own child. Im scared that he will scratch my eye by biting. Im hoping I can get some answers to help

kacey19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am truly desperate in finding an answer for my situation. I hope you can help me. My cat which is estimated by the vet to be nearly 5 years old now, came to our house as a stray. When I took him in to be neutered, we found that he already was. He is an indoor/outdoor cat. (He sleeps in at night and occasionally naps on my bed during the day.) Overall, he's very friendly and outgoing. He loves rolling over on his back, sliding down the steps, coming out to meet us when we get come in the vehicle, and following us everywhere. He purrs at one stroke and loves sleeping with us, "kneading" on us as if he was still nursing. It seems to make him more content and that's how he "makes his nest" before going to sleep. He is very well cared for and though we have 2 other cats, he seems to get the most attention. He has been ill towards the other two cats since he came here and chases them to no avail and actually attacks one of them if he can catch her and has hurt her on a couple of occasions. We literally have to keep the two of them seperate as much as we possibly can. Down to the real problem: This has happened since we took him in and it probably occurs about once every 2 mos., but too much none the less! I will pick him up and have him cradled in my arms. I'll be stroking him and rub his nose gently (which he loves). He will almost always be purring and nearly asleep, when BAM! He atatcks my face viciously- usually reaching for my eyes! I have to pry his claws (which are stuck in my face!) off of me to keep him from tearing my face to shreds. It is not play! He is angry when he does this-ears laid back and all. It comes out of no where and suddenly, w/ little or no warning. And it always brings the blood. Its as if he gets uncomfortable when one gets too close to his face, but you can't tell because most of the time he will be purring seconds before. Most of the time, when he is sleepy, you can do anything to him. He's very limp and will lay on my chest a lot. I do not what is causing this horrible agressive behavior. I do not know what to do to stop it. I love him so much and it hurts my face and my feelings when he dives into his caring owner.

Can you please help me? Thanks!

kacey19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I just read your thread. I want to let you know that my cat does the same exact thing. He jumps in my arms and purrs and rubs under my neck and curls up and just loves the attention. And then out of completely no where he lunges at my face with all claws and smacks me as hard as he can with his claws. It's very scary and very strange. He will also do if while just sitting with me and relaxing and then all of sudden bam. He does the same thing to my kids. Which really scared me. We have had him since he was a kitten and he is just the sweetest cat and so affectionate. It's really weird. I did some research and all they say is it's over stimulation. But he does it while just sitting near us too, so that doesn't make sense. I can't figure out how to stop it either. Just want to let you know your not the only one and of I find out anything I will let you know.

tlo397

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beloved 2 year old has a habit of attacking me out if nowhere. 2 days ago he attacked my face, gashing right ybder my eye, and a bite mark on my cheek and scratch dangerously on my under eye on my last line. I don't know what to do. I am slightly conforted that i am not alone, but know I can't live like this. My eye ball is blood red and gave swollen from the gash. Do i look for a new home, or a no kill shelter. I love him so much and this truly breaks my heart. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

[quote name="3kats"
url="/t/113004/help-my-cat-attacks-my-face#post_1547251"]I am truly desperate in finding an answer for my situation. I hope you can help me. My cat which is estimated by the vet to be nearly 5 years old now, came to our house as a stray. When I took him in to be neutered, we found that he already was. He is an indoor/outdoor cat. (He sleeps in at night and occasionally naps on my bed during the day.) Overall, he's very friendly and outgoing. He loves rolling over on his back, sliding down the steps, coming out to meet us when we get come in the vehicle, and following us everywhere. He purrs at one stroke and loves sleeping with us, "kneading" on us as if he was still nursing. It seems to make him more content and that's how he "makes his nest" before going to sleep. He is very well cared for and though we have 2 other cats, he seems to get the most attention. He has been ill towards the other two cats since he came here and chases them to no avail and actually attacks one of them if he can catch her and has hurt her on a couple of occasions. We literally have to keep the two of them seperate as much as we possibly can. Down to the real problem: This has happened since we took him in and it probably occurs about once every 2 mos., but too much none the less! I will pick him up and have him cradled in my arms. I'll be stroking him and rub his nose gently (which he loves). He will almost always be purring and nearly asleep, when BAM! He atatcks my face viciously- usually reaching for my eyes! I have to pry his claws (which are stuck in my face!) off of me to keep him from tearing my face to shreds. It is not play! He is angry when he does this-ears laid back and all. It comes out of no where and suddenly, w/ little or no warning. And it always brings the blood. Its as if he gets uncomfortable when one gets too close to his face, but you can't tell because most of the time he will be purring seconds before. Most of the time, when he is sleepy, you can do anything to him. He's very limp and will lay on my chest a lot. I do not what is causing this horrible agressive behavior. I do not know what to do to stop it. I love him so much and it hurts my face and my feelings when he dives into his caring owner.

Can you please help me? Thanks![/quote]

laguna2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my maine coons had FHS...FELINE HYPERESTHESIA SYNDROME. To stop the attack which is actually seizure your veterinarian should give your cat Gabapentin. ..and your cat will never do it again. My present main coon will sleep cuddly beside my face and then in the middle of the night swap my face to awake me and his eyes are "wide open" and he is ready to attack my face. The Gabapentin stops this altogether. I give it to him at night, 1 hr before bedtime. Trust me as this is my second maine coon with Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. My last cat lived until 14 yrs with it.