help me understand this feral/stray cat's behavior

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In March 2020 we had 4 newcomers show up semi-regular in our neighborhood, adding to the 3 siblings that had been around for a year by then.
One of these newbies is a fluffball my mom decided to name Pony because he looks like a white-brown Pinto with an all-brown tail. (He's really cute).

1590837689255.png

We think he's a he due to frequent spraying, prowling, and the fact that my two most frequent customers (who I think are both female) are avoidant of him.

Lately he's been around a lot more, crying out while prowling. Short, high-pitched, curious sounds very unlike yowling. Sounds more like he's calling out, looking for another cat. (Sounds very similar to one of the siblings when she's looking for her sister).

The behavior I'm wondering about however is from what happened yesterday.
Pony arrived while the two sisters were having an early dinner. The two sisters stopped eating, and all three ended up on the lawn in a triangle separated by about 10 feet. The sisters watched Pony, who just lay there waiting and grooming himself. This lasted about 10 minutes. They let him eat, one sister left the area and the other went to nap on a covered woodpile. An hour or so later, Pony returned and hopped onto the same woodpile where the cat was still sleeping. I would have expected the female cat to flee like she usually did from Pony, but she didn't. She remained where she was, continuing to lie there like the melting kitty she was (it was hot yesterday!). Pony then proceeded to walk up to her and sit himself down mere inches from her, then groom himself. They sat together this way for a good while.

So my question is: is Pony attempting to cozy himself into the sisters' colony? I wonder this in particular because he's also quite skinny, and I wonder if he's trying to befriend them because he realized they are very well fed (mostly by me). I suppose it's also possible he's just flirting for some... temporary coziness.

It's unknown if any of these cats are fixed, though one of the presumed sisters does have an ear that appears to have been tipped when she was young, unlike her sister. I have seen all three cats spray, but the two presumed sisters only do it once in a long while, assuming when they're in heat.

(I'm in the process of looking for TNR help).

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous cat!!!

You are correct. Sounds like he is calling for another cat.

Grooming is a sign of comfort so that helped either diffuse a situation or show them that they are more comfortable together than you may think.

Feral cats tend to be great diplomats. And typically, problems happen between genders do to mating, territory, etc. SO I am not too surprised they are getting along. In intro's we make positive associations and positive encounters to build trust and acceptance, Ferals do the exact thing in the wild.

I do fear they may have mated already. :( I would try to TNR them as soon as possible. That will help them avoid fights when other intact cats come by (which is inevitable) and cause intacts to move on to find a mate.

Pony I am sure is trying to join the colony to get access to food and water etc.

Great analysis and thanks for caring about them!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. I see the two presumed females just about daily so monitoring for swollen bellies is more or less easy. I expect they would also eat a bit more, too. No sign of either yet.

Today, the same cat Pony sat next to yesterday still avoided him, and Pony kept a polite large distance for a while, refusing to approach until I went inside. He did however watch as the female rubbed up against me (this is relatively new!) so I'm hoping he'll learn that I'm not terrible.

And yes, calicos ARE special! :rbheart:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome. Yes, usually you can tell, sometimes it is surprising.

Interesting she avoided him. Yes, Pony will keep a distance from you until he can trust. He'll see you are good (giving food) and slowly start trusting.

Awwwww, she loves you. She is "marking" you with her scent to "own" you. Other cat do notice that and that does help. I suspect he will be warming up to you in the near future.

SO TRUE!!! :)