Help me understand my cat better.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a cat only a few months ago, his name is Whiskey and he is a little over 1 year old. 

There two things i find really strange in his behavior. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on it

1. I had to give him a bath a couple of times due to litter box accidents and he wasn't too happy about it. He didn't scratch me but did not enjoy the experience and tried to get out of the tub every chance he got. Every time right AFTER the bath he is so much more affectionate, jumps on my lap, follows me around, purrs at every touch and meows for attention, this behavior continues for at least 3-5 days after the bath. What is that about? 

2. When he has diarrhea (he is healthy and was recently checked out by a vet, the poop problem was connected to certain food intolerance/transitioning/new food) he is so much more active and playful and runs around like crazy, chases every toy and eats really well but when he has normal poop it's hard to get his attention with any toy except for laser pointer, he doesn't have the kitty crazies at all, sleeps most of the day and doesn't eat all that much? Shouldn't the opposite be true? (I plan on asking the vet about this one as well).

Any input will be appreciated, i really want to understand what's up with my kitty...

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @KiraTheCat

Cats don't normally like baths. I once had one who did but she was definitely the exception to the rule.  I didn't notice her becoming more affectionate, but I certainly know that dogs do.  I look after a little dog when her owner is away and she goes wild with excitement after a bath and then just wants to be cuddled.  But I can't give any reasons, either for cats or dogs.

I'm wondering whether the food intolerance is making her go a little crazy rather than the diarrhea.  It might cause hyperactivity, and then, of course she would eat more. 

But I'm just guessing.. both interesting but difficult questions!

forest phoenix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow. What an interesting critter you have. LoL.

1. Ummm Stockholm Syndrome? Possibly? Haha. I don't know... except that maybe he's so glad to be out of the unpleasantness of the bath that he forgets that it was you that gave him the bath, but instead identifies you as his rescuer from the bath?

2. I have to agree with Mani about the possibility of the food intolerance affecting him psychologically. The only other thing I can think of is that he feels perky when he's all cleared out and his bowels are empty (who doesn't love that light-as-a-feather feeling?). Mani's suggestion is more plausible.