Help Me Transform My Mean Coon Into A Maine Coon!

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, Leska/Alaska is entering his early "teenage" months, at 5 months, and has grown very rough in playing with me.

He wasn't this bad when he was young, but now he can grab onto my arm and is strong enough that he can dangle from it if I lift my arm while he's wrapped around it, trying to get away. I've used the "nose tap" that mothers give their babies when they play too roughly with them. No dice. He's had a cold he's just getting over so he's been in quarantine in my room with me, so he can't play with the other cats.

What can I do to make him play less violently? I've heard pure Maine Coons are more playful and stubborn than other cats, sometimes compared to bobcats in their wild personalities and impressive strength. I'm ready for it. I just need to know how to train him, since the nose tap isn't working. He's probably too old for it.

We're gonna buy him some new toys to help work that energy off. I know that's one way to curb it. Anyone got any other ideas? He's still very sweet when he's not in crazy kitten mode. He comes up and rubs his whole side on me, sleeps on my pillow or next to my leg, purrs his sweet little head off when pet or brushed, and loves attention from anyone. I just need him to tone down on the rough play.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
His behaviour is mostly because of those nasty teenager hormones. Cats often grow a bit "crazy" during this perood of growth and development. Lots of playtime will help, as well as playing with the other cats once he's out of quarantine. I've heard some cats get relaxed when they are affected by catnip, but this isn't true for every cat.

There's not much you can do, really.

If he isn't neutered, neutering might calm him down a bit. It might not, but it still might. It depends on the cat.

I also just have to mention this: I love the title for the thread. ;)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I agree the title is terrific! So, the nose tap didn't work, but do you think a handclap combined with a HISS, and on other occasions a hard abrupt loud shake of a can partly full of coins combined with a HISS, would have an effect? --in other words something to mess with his hearing a little bit to distract from the play and then the hiss like his mama would do.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At his age they play rough. and you may have done the same thing i have always done with kittens, play with them with your hands? They dont understand they are bigger and too rough now, that's how they play with their siblings. get some small mice and things you can throw for him when he starts getting interested in hands, a kicker sometimes works well too. I have feathers on the end of a stick i use, and also a feather wand for more energetic play, to wear them out :)

If he is not neutered now would be the time to do it. As he ages he will calm down a bit. You will still need to teach him, and i always use distraction to do it, that hands are not play things. :)

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its probably something that he will need to grow out of, but you need to stop the behavior, or at least discourage it, before he views it as normal. Cats learn the play boundary when young...my orange cat Archie was dropped off at a shelter but wasn't socialized well with people. He is friendly and affectionate, but when he plays, he tends to bite harder than other cats seem to when playing, and kicks with his back feet using his claws. He never learned to play with people.
I would recommend a loud and surprising hiss when your kitty crosses the line between gentle playing and hard playing. This usually snaps them out of being agressive and allows them to calm down. A flick of a few drops of water does the same thing when he gets too excited. One way I taught my cat to be more gentle is using cat treats, which seem to be addicting...anyhow I will hold one in my closed hand until my cat touches my hand with his paw. At first he had his claws out, but soon learned to be more gentle. By giving him a treat only when he was gentle, he eventually became more gentle in most of his interactions with me. Of course, treats are like magic in training cats, IMHO! After a few years, your cat will settle down, although a laser pointer makes a great thing to chase and burn off extra energy, which helps too! Good Luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the compliments on the thread title and your excellent responses! In regard to the title, it's something I've been saying to him when he gets rough: "No, not Mean Coon! Maine Coon. You're a Maine Coon, baby boy." I never yell at him but speak with a stern voice. We bought him a great new toy (that I might review; it's already working well) today that I think will help him burn off excess energy. It's a laser that's automated and uses internal mirrors to move the light on the wall. He goes crazy for it.

Between your awesome suggestions, and this new way to burn off his energy, I think we xan get him to give my poor hands and arms a break. Unfortunately, he can't go out just yet. Something is going on with the other cats. I'll detail it in a thread under the health subforum.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad you found something that works! He is a very pretty boy!
You should see him when we turn that toy on. He goes bonkers! It's also a nice way to distract him when my husband and I bring food into the room, haha.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used a laser pointer fr playing with Archie and Sal, Sal being the smallest and youngest (short for Salome). I have a fairly long and wide living room which is carpeted, so Sal can really dig in and chase the laser up and down the living room...has done this since she was a kitten. Now, if I get the laser out she gets excited, and will run full speed up and down the living room, even after the laser is turned off. Just habit I guess but play certainly keeps them friendly, or friendy-er.