Help me replace my cat's favorite toy!

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my lovely little black kitten, Hyde, has finally found a toy he absolutely adores. He carries it with him everywhere and freaks out if our other kitten, Jekyll, gets anywhere near it! I'm so happy to see him loving a toy so much but unfortunately, the toy belonged to my childhood cat, who passed away a year or so ago. We didn't buy him toys for a long time so that makes this toy about 10-15 years old. The hard mouse inside of the toy is starting to rot and it's falling apart. Has anyone seen this mouse or anything similar online or anywhere? Thank you.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww poor kitty!  Was that a kind of sparkly material originally?  Maybe some sparkle balls might fill it's place if it was.  They are pretty easy to find.  I personally like the ones which are sold by The Itty Bitty Kitty Committee.  The woman fosters cats out in Seattle (she's pretty famous, has a website and runs amazing fund raisers every year).  I think she might make them by hand and they come in the BEST assortments of colors.  Our cats adore them and those that don't get lost wind up getting used until they pretty much look like that mouse!

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling My Tigger is the same way. Look on Amazon even ebay and buy a few.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think it was ever sparkly. It's "fuzzy" but in a coarse way if that makes sense? I think I'm gonna stop at a few different pet stores today and see if I can find anything similar.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks a lot like the mouse that was attached to a fishing pole thing I got at one time for my cats.  I don't have it anymore and I was just searching to see if I could find one like it on the internet, but no luck so far. 

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope you have some luck! My little Dallas has a favorite toy as well. It belonged to my cat Blair when she was a baby and it's starting to get old and ratty. Some toys just can't be replaced!

voodoorocker13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unsure, but if it helps and you can find it is a cat toy ball that doesn't go in a straight line. Also he loves a stuffed stick of cartoon dynamite that I bought at my local A&P. My cat Izzy Stradlin goes bonkers for it and it's great because it has a canvas covering meant for particularly energetic cats.

macsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Google "zanies shaggy fuzzy rattle mouse" and you will see some toys for auction on eBay. They look like maybe they are similar?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a shame it's starting to rot and fall appart.   It could be the smell or taste or texture, anything - I guess you will never know.

If you can't find the exact same toy it might be worth looking for yarn that's like the stuff it's made of?  You could try knitting / crocheting a little mouse sized piece and stuffing with felt or fleece for your cat and see if that helped?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just in Pet Supermarket and saw something very similar to this, but I don't see it on their web site. It was just in an open bin, so I don't know who the manufacturer is.  I should have taken a picture but I didn't think about that until just now. If I have a chance to get back over that way, I'll take a picture and post it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'll have to check it out. [emoji]128515[/emoji]

lilangelsbuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But the fabric reminds new of the monkeys that hang around your shoulder. Maybe you can refurbish it with some fuzzy fabric, maybe even a shag rug material? Then take the old fabric and refurbished mouse rub them together or leave them in a bag together for the sent to "transfer"