Help me name this cute kitty please :)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks, Cat nap.  Makes sense that she would have her hands full.  That's funny that your sister is like me with names and my sister is like you!  LOL    Now that you mentioned it, her cats end up with 2 names, too.  I think her kids get used to one then she goes and names it a again.  Sometimes you really do need the time to get to know your kitty's personality before you name it.  
yeah...that is funny....we all have "doubles" out there in the world....lol.

but i don't mean nicknames for cats....because we all have those...i mean proper written down names...and i get embarrassed telling my vet's office of the two names because i don't want them thinking i am nuts.

but how can your sister just change a name....after the fact her kids get used to one....how do they know who the heck she is talking about.

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Teddy because he's got the most fabulous teddybear fur. 
That's what came to my mind when I saw him. He looks like you could hug him and his soft orange fur forever- what an adorable and beautiful kitten.

lola1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, right?  For example, last year she rescued a kitten and they couldn't decide on a name (per usual).  My nieces, who are late teens early twenties, just

called him Kitty.  My sister tested names on him and finally about a month later she decided he was Rocky. Last night I was at her house and he was Rocky to her, but my niece called him Kitty.  The vet knows him as Rocky.  I think he is a Rocky, definitely not Kitty!  They are a crazy bunch!  LOL  

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

I know, right?  For example, last year she rescued a kitten and they couldn't decide on a name (per usual).  My nieces, who are late teens early twenties, just

called him Kitty.  My sister tested names on him and finally about a month later she decided he was Rocky. Last night I was at her house and he was Rocky to her, but my niece called him Kitty.  The vet knows him as Rocky.  I think he is a Rocky, definitely not Kitty!  They are a crazy bunch!  LOL  

that is hilarious...
....but what is up with your nieces calling him kitty....i mean i thought they were toddlers or something....teenagers and young adults....i guess they have no time for the naming thing...ahhh too be young again.  maybe they knew that mom would change their pick anyway....as does my sister....so they just chose the most easiest. lol.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

.....and i just realized that catwoman707 is an "advisor"....so she is probably busy giving cats and catpeople advice....this will take a while...
Now that made me laugh!   Then I realized you were referring to catwoman707 and not all advisors!  
     I am more often found chatting about rubbish, and you are quite right, catwoman707 is very busy and concientious so you are probably very right.  Note to self, must work harder as an advisor. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

How fun!! 
 LOVE these names :)

Some I've used, a few do strike me as good for him.

Love Teddy but have a special boy on my cat route with that name, my faves so far are Rusty and Spike :)) He DOES have very soft but spikey fur.
@gcat....yeah....teddy is a fave...but i guess it can't qualify....

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

.....and i just realized that catwoman707 is an "advisor"....so she is probably busy giving cats and catpeople advice....this will take a while...
Now that made me laugh!   Then I realized you were referring to catwoman707 and not all advisors!  
     I am more often found chatting about rubbish, and you are quite right, catwoman707 is very busy and concientious so you are probably very right.  Note to self, must work harder as an advisor. 
this is priceless and enlightening....i shall have to follow some advisors around....and eavesdrop a little...."note to self, must work harder as an advisor"...lol..

so as an advisor....what is your professional opinion about the deadline for naming a cat??two weeks....a month?..what do you put on their papers in the meantime?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

this is priceless and enlightening....i shall have to follow some advisors around....and eavesdrop a little...."note to self, must work harder as an advisor"...lol..

so as an advisor....what is your professional opinion about the deadline for naming a cat??two weeks....a month?..what do you put on their papers in the meantime?
If you follow an advisor follow someone like @catwoman707!  I am a poor example of an advisor as I spend a high proportion of my time looking at fun photos and falling in love with other people's kitties 
 and babbling on the Official TCS Babbling Games thread while neglecting my advisor duties and my own poor blue-boy  (you can probably hear his squeeks for attention as I post)....  I would hate you to think most advisors mis-spend their days as I do. 

As I am a recent appointment to the advising team here on TCS and my forte is having as few opinions as possible, I would say 'as long as it takes you to get to know kitty', and if you choose one name and it doesn't suit it is not unreasonable for a human parent to change a name.  However, delay and kitty may well have made up his or her own mind to respond to some word used regularly in their presence whether it is the intended name or not, and could come running up with anticipatory tail in the air every time you say 'Supper', 'Hi', or 'Now' rather than what you want to call them anyway. 
  I often wonder how many young kittens think their human slaves have called them 'No' (that being why they look round when the human says no, and then carry on doing whatever it is they are doing).

Last edited:

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If you follow an advisor follow someone like @catwoman707!  I am a poor example of an advisor as I spend a high proportion of my time looking at fun photos and falling in love with other people's kitties 
 and babbling on the Official TCS Babbling Games thread while neglecting my advisor duties and my own poor blue-boy  (you can probably hear his squeeks for attention as I post)....  I would hate you to think most advisors mis-spend their days as I do. 

As I am a recent appointment to the advising team here on TCS and my forte is having as few opinions as possible, I would say 'as long as it takes you to get to know kitty', and if you choose one name and it doesn't suit it is not unreasonable for a human parent to change a name.  However, delay and kitty may well have made up his or her own mind to respond to some word used regularly in their presence whether it is the intended name or not, and could come running up with anticipatory tail in the air every time you say 'Supper', 'Hi', or 'Now' rather than what you want to call them anyway. 
  I often wonder how many young kittens think their human slaves have called them 'No' (that being why they look round when the human says no, and then carry on doing whatever it is they are doing).
  I think you are a wonderful advisor- when I was lurking here for months many of your posts (and the other advisors’) helped me greatly with solving my own kitties’ predicaments, and your babbles and Mouse tales make me laugh every day (He must be honored to have such a wonderful and caring meowmy! 
) The advisor board is extremely knowledgeable in general and it’s so helpful to see a long, detailed response to a problem that normal people wouldn’t be willing to help with.

About the naming- you can change the name whenever you want to. My niece originally named Bunny Rose “Strawberry”, but then my husband changed it to Miss Bunny Rose and she still comes whenever we call her name. But when we were in the process of naming Pippi (our most recent addition), she actually responded to the name “Kitty”. Luckily, Pippi and Kitty don’t sound too dissimilar, so she adjusted to her new name pretty well (or she just thinks we still call her Kitty). 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you @GCat, though I'd hate to add fishing for compliments to my reputation they are nice to recieve. 
   Mouse makes me laugh every day too, usually several times!  He should be a laughter therapist. 

Many cats on this site seem to respond to lots of different names and nic-names so I am sure they can cope with name changes too, as long as they have loving, consistent humans around them.  Nic-names that come out of the close relationship someone has with an animal are often the ones that fit most with their pursonalities so @catwoman707 if you have any little names you are already using it is a good idea to think about these along with the ones like Rusty and Spike that you are drawn to.  As for soft and spikey makes me think of Tufty, but I'm not sure that's the name for a big ginger cat. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
As I am a recent appointment to the advising team here on TCS and my forte is having as few opinions as possible, I would say 'as long as it takes you to get to know kitty', and if you choose one name and it doesn't suit it is not unreasonable for a human parent to change a name.  However, delay and kitty may well have made up his or her own mind to respond to some word used regularly in their presence whether it is the intended name or not, and could come running up with anticipatory tail in the air every time you say 'Supper', 'Hi', or 'Now' rather than what you want to call them anyway
 @MServant...oh my jet airplane.
..(its a saying my friends used....meaning something is so obvious...but I just didn't see it.)

You are just so observant...delaying on a name...and the cats responding to repetitive words...is maybe why my cat ignores his name, but I would like to think my cat is a smarter guy...and just ignores me.

So i guess i will not call out "supper", "lunchtime" or "good morning" unless its in various languages....but now you made me not want to delay in the naming a cat thing.

ps. am I allowed to post things in some of your old threads, even if they are from last year? or is this frowned upon?...but more specifically why did you name your cat "Mouse" and he is a beautiful grey, but there must be some sort of story behind that name....and what happens when you say "Mouse....get that mouse for me."

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

I think you are a wonderful advisor- when I was lurking here for months many of your posts (and the other advisors’) helped me greatly with solving my own kitties’ predicaments, and your babbles and Mouse tales make me laugh every day (He must be honored to have such a wonderful and caring meowmy! 
) The advisor board is extremely knowledgeable in general and it’s so helpful to see a long, detailed response to a problem that normal people wouldn’t be willing to help with.

About the naming- you can change the name whenever you want to. My niece originally named Bunny Rose “Strawberry”, but then my husband changed it to Miss Bunny Rose and she still comes whenever we call her name. But when we were in the process of naming Pippi (our most recent addition), she actually responded to the name “Kitty”. Luckily, Pippi and Kitty don’t sound too dissimilar, so she adjusted to her new name pretty well (or she just thinks we still call her Kitty). 
thank you @GCat  ....I gotta find some of those old Mouse tales...laughter is the best medicine. So where did the name "miss bunny rose" come from?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi everyone! I was just about to hit the bed and find a good movie, and saw an update to my thread here, and missed alot!

Qell I got involved with a few threads I wanted to help out with, gosh, one of them is bothering me tonight, it happens. As I said to him, it doesn't matter that people who come here for cat help can be anywhere, half across the country, whatever, it feels to me like the =y could be my next door neighbor. It stays with me once I get so involved.

Anyway!! My head has been so full of cat stuff recently I have been preoccupied. I get a list from the shelter of cats who need saving or will be euthanized, and I save as many as I can, well someone was out, didn't get my reply to the list, and found out that the cats I told them I was pulling got killed.......all I can see is their faces and eyes from seeing their pics. It gives me such a heavy heart....:(

I've just GOT to post more pics of this orange boy and his darling sister who I named Crystal. I know, not original but boy does she look the part.

I have been thinking Reggie, but it's still not quite right.

I DO have a deadline, it is a week from wednesday. He gets fixed and will go up for adopting, and his neuter certificate should say his name. It isn't necessarily forever, but I have found that giving a great, suited name to a cat/kitten, it makes me happy when most of them keep that name!

Look at these 2!!

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crystal and her brother look precious. 
 I love Crystal's beautiful grey coloring and the look on her brother's face in the first pic. I think Reggie is a wonderful name- if you think it's purrfect, you should go with it! 

Best wishes for you and for these two adorable kittens- I’m sure they will find a loving home very soon after they go up for adoption. 
Kittens are quite popular. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@catwoman707, this pair are delightful! 
  I have to be honest and say the word that came to mind in the first picture of the two of them together was Monster because that is what he looks like next to his sister!  But that'snot a nice name for a cat. 
  The big orange boy I looked after for a while I called Muscles. 
  I was terrified of him because he was so big and he was the local top-cat!

As I love ginger boys and have a Scots connection 2 other names come to my mind if you don't think Reggie is quite right: Hamish and Haggis.  

One of the reasons I spend lots of time in the lounge, and on silly threads, is as a balance and diversion from some of the more upsetting and harrowing things that can take over in my mind.  As you are also very involved in practical rescue I don't know how you manage to sustain your energy and positivity, other than with the complete joy and warmth with creatures like Chrystal and young 'nameless' here when things go well.  

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

@catwoman707,....

One of the reasons I spend lots of time in the lounge, and on silly threads, is as a balance and diversion from some of the more upsetting and harrowing things that can take over in my mind.  As you are also very involved in practical rescue I don't know how you manage to sustain your energy and positivity, other than with the complete joy and warmth with creatures like Chrystal and young 'nameless' here when things go well.  
@catwoman707  , i second what mservant said.  i wanted to write some encouraging words, but just did not know what to say.  I think a good movie at night to get your mind off things is great, i usually just pick some tv show because they are shorter.  i thank you for posting and the work you do. I know the cats would thank you, even the people, but they might not listen the first time around.